"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I'm sorry, but how is it a downer? I thought people wanted everything to be as close to the Japanese as possible in terms of translation & voice acting.
Honestly, I was hoping for something new. As long as they adhere to the dialogue faithfully, for this character specifically, I wouldn't mind if they did something new.

With the right effects, I think a one person voiced Vegetto made to sound like two people could potentially sound better than one actually voiced by two people. For example, Mr. Legrand's Vegetto sounds a lot better to my ears than some other versions that I've heard voiced by two people.

Though, for me, it's most of the time all about the acting at the end of the day. You could have any voice in the world. But, if it isn't well acted, I'm not gonna like it.
I, personally, like the 2 voices overlapped. It certainly makes sense neither Goku, nor Vegeta are particularly stronger than one another & both have strengths & weaknesses the other doesn't. Same with Gotenks. Supreme Kai is a different story as, even though he fused with Kibito, his personality is the stronger of the 2, so it would make sense for his voice to be Supreme's, but with a bit of a gruffness to match Kibito's a bit more. They even did that in the original Japanese version, but, narratively, it makes complete sense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:47 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:Wait... are you just being hopeful, or do you actually have inside information? If the latter, do you know if there's been a set date for release (not asking for a date, just if there is one)?
Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago. I can't reveal what I know, though, or the source. I mean, I could, but it would mean potentially getting certain people in trouble, and I don't want to do that, both as a person and as a member of the industry. Sorry!

Tell 'ya what. When the inside info I know has been revealed in an official capacity, I'll make a post that links back to this one, as a way of saying, "This is what I was referring to."
there!!!!!!!!!!!! i found it he say this in the other final chapter topics, so we will know what he was talking about
This is from the official casting in the press release:

"FAKE CELL Wally West
FAKE MR. SATAN Jay Garrick
FAKE GOKU Bart Allen"

Now, going off this, what if these are voice actors who are in the live action Flash show, or voice actors who played the characters in the past? They'd most likely be union actors, & who knows if FUNimation can actually pay union actors, so the pseudonyms would make sense, as well as being great casting gags. Anyone else care to wager a guess?
Last edited by Scsigs on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:52 am

thaman91 wrote:Here's the video where Justin Cook talks about Vegetto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Udydd ... .be&t=1358

He says that Sean did an impersonation of Chris for the Vegetto voice. Now, I suppose you could interpret that as Sean being the only one in the recording studio at the time while Chris recorded earlier; but it's still odd that Sean would impersonate Chris. In the past, they would both just use their respective Goku & Vegeta voices and have their dialogue sync up. But because of the "impersonation" comment, it makes me think that Sean might be voicing Vegetto alone.
Sabat has been directing the various dubs of DB for a while now, so he might've waited for everyone else to record their lines before he did the majority of his.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Adrian Malacoda wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No English dub could make up for Boo Kai's faults. How anyone could be excited for such a clusterfuck is beyond me.
Even considering the faults of Boo arc Kai, which to some extent were shared by the original Kai production, being able to finally dismiss the legacy dub as completely irrelevant is (IMO) a tremendous upside.
Did anyone take that seriously to begin with? Color me surprised, shocked, and befuddled.

Seriously though, a dub just isn't enough for me when I enjoy the original version just fine subbed. But now I'm on repeat.
Oh my fucking god, you haven't come across the nostalgia brats. Count yourself lucky you haven't. The nostalgia brats are some of the most goddamn annoying people on the planet. They claim the original dub was flawless, the Falconer score is better than the original Japanese, & they HATE Kai just because it doesn't have ANY of the things, outside of the cast, that the original does. Count your blessings if you run across a nostalgia brat in the wild & survive the ensuing argument you may have with it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 am

sintzu wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:That's assuming they're going to bother with Parts for Buu, since it's already finished and there's no guessing on how many episodes there'll be.
3 parts will have 12 episodes while the other 3 will have 11.

After that they'll release them in seasons.
Um, doing the math, there's 69 episodes internationally, so there's going to be 6 parts, I'm thinking, in all if you're going by 12 episodes each for the first 5, then 11 for the last one. Combined into "seasons," they'll have 3 more, making 7 total. Perfect for DBZ Kai. Though my math could be off a bit here.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 am

sintzu wrote:I don't mind Buu airing once a week cause it's over but Super ? it's going to take forever to catch up to where it is in Japan.
You DO know that, unless a show is released to DVD/Blu-Ray, has a simuldub, or the anime takes a break, that no anime show in history otherwise has had any luck of catching up during its US broadcast to the Japanese broadcast, right? Even if they were to skip right to the third arc, that's over 40 episodes more they'd have to air before we'd catch up to where they are in Japan & there's no telling if Super's going to go on a break, or end any time soon, not that the majority of us would want it to, that is.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:40 am

Scsigs wrote:There's 69 episodes internationally, so there's going to be 6 parts, I'm thinking, in all if you're going by 12 episodes each for the first 5, then 11 for the last one.
12×5 is 60 so that would only leave 9 for the last set.

I could see them doing that if they added the 2008 OVA to it but as of now I think we'll get 3 12 episode sets and 3 11 ones.
Scsigs wrote:You DO know that, unless a show is released to DVD/Blu-Ray, has a simuldub, or the anime takes a break, that no anime show in history otherwise has had any luck of catching up during its US broadcast to the Japanese broadcast, right?

There's no telling if Super's going to go on a break, or end any time soon, not that the majority of us would want it to, that is.
I never thought about that but you're probably right however I still think they should at least show 2 episodes of the movie arcs so it won't take so long to get to the Champa arc.

I wouldn't mind it taking a month or so break between each major arc to get everything ready for the next one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:23 am

Scsigs wrote:Hey guys. Got word from the man himself, Sean Schemmel. I tweeted him about the voice of Vegito & he told me himself that, "Vegito has always been voiced by Chris and I since we started and will remain that way." It's all right here if you wanna read for yourselves.
https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 8108542976
That puts pretty much my only real concern with the dub to bed

Thanks for getting confirmation on that!

I doubt doubt Sean's ability to pull off a one-person Vegetto if necessary, but it would have been so inconsistent with all other dubbed materials
Plus, it would have meant not being able to compare how far along the two have come as the character since Z, which, admittedly, is one of several major reasons I'm as excited for this dub as I am

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:29 am

Above post should read "I don't Doubt"

I'd edit it but the edit button doesn't come up until another post is made entirely for some reason in this thread

Still trying to get used to the ways these forums work

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 am

Scsigs wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:
How so? If you ask me, they're making it HARDER on themselves by doing it single-voice. Now if the voice ends up being badly acted, there won't be any filters for it to hide behind; plus it's also a creative risk in terms of opening themselves up to criticism. If anything, what's they're doing is the opposite of a cop out.
Sounds harder to have two actors be completely in sync tbh.
Ok, first, have you not heard the original English dub? They pulled it off fine, plus they still had Gotenks voiced by both voice actresses for Battle of Gods & that worked fine. I don't believe they'd change it now.
Second, have you not seen the Did You Know Voice Acting? videos on DBZ? In one of them, the narrator explains that for Vegito, they had Sabat record the lines first, then had Schemmel match his delivery. Then, they did the opposite for Gogeta. This was most likely to fit the personalities of the fused characters with who they more matched; Vegito for Vegeta & Gogeta for Goku. Don't know which one lead for Gotenks, but I imagine that they did something similar. Probably Trunks' voice actress since Gotenks is so full of himself.
In the original Japanese, I'm pretty sure they had both actors talk at the same times when recording, or they had them record separately, then layer their voices on top of each other from the clips I've heard.
Plus, they're WAY better voice actors now than back then, so I'm not discounting they're not going to do the same thing/have done the same thing for this dub.

Edit: Here's the video, all queued up for my source.
https://youtu.be/gaGvNc6jhnA?t=2m29s
This doesn't counter prove what I said that it seems harder to go by this method rather than use technology and superpose (put the same track) over...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 am

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:There's 69 episodes internationally, so there's going to be 6 parts, I'm thinking, in all if you're going by 12 episodes each for the first 5, then 11 for the last one.

I could see them doing that if they added the 2008 OVA to it but as of now I think we'll get 3 12 episode sets and 3 11 ones.
I see. Makes sense. Gotta remember, though, the last set of the first 8 parts had 9 episodes too, so it's not unprecedented, nor would it really be a detriment if they did it like I'm saying.
sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:You DO know that, unless a show is released to DVD/Blu-Ray, has a simuldub, or the anime takes a break, that no anime show in history otherwise has had any luck of catching up during its US broadcast to the Japanese broadcast, right?

There's no telling if Super's going to go on a break, or end any time soon, not that the majority of us would want it to, that is.
I never thought about that but you're probably right however I still think they should at least show 2 episodes of the movie arcs so it won't take so long to get to the Champa arc.

I wouldn't mind it taking a month or so break between each major arc to get everything ready for the next one.
Apparently, FUNi's only announced that they've licensed the first 26, most likely 27 though, but 26 is a nice even number, episodes of Super for dubbing, so it's not surprising that they're going to air what they're legally able to, though I imagine halfway through the airing of the dub, they'll announce they have the next 3 arcs, all the way through the Future Trunks Arc & start dubbing those episodes. I expect viewership will go up with those adamant about hating the redone movie arcs in Super, after they're done airing them in June. As for Japan though, they've had a few week breaks, but a month? You don't know how anime works, or Japanese broadcasting. They're not going to wait THAT long unless absolutely necessary.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 am

Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I see. Makes sense. Gotta remember, though, the last set of the first 8 parts had 9 episodes too, so it's not unprecedented, nor would it really be a detriment if they did it like I'm saying.
sintzu wrote:

Apparently, FUNi's only announced that they've licensed the first 26, most likely 27 though, but 26 is a nice even number, episodes of Super for dubbing, so it's not surprising that they're going to air what they're legally able to, though I imagine halfway through the airing of the dub, they'll announce they have the next 3 arcs, all the way through the Future Trunks Arc & start dubbing those episodes. I expect viewership will go up with those adamant about hating the redone movie arcs in Super, after they're done airing them in June. As for Japan though, they've had a few week breaks, but a month? You don't know how anime works, or Japanese broadcasting. They're not going to wait THAT long unless absolutely necessary.
Their initial press release states they have a multi-year deal in place so I don't think it is just that the first 26 episodes have only been licensed, it is just announced that the first 26 episodes of Season 1 will air, but as you said nearing the end of that we will probably get an announcement for season 2 and making a big deal over that! Apparently France and Italy both had the same press release in mentioning the first 26 episodes even though it is known the likes of France have dubbed above that, FUNi have been dubbing since July it seems so I think they should be in the midst of the Freeza arc by now.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:

sintzu wrote:

Their initial press release states they have a multi-year deal in place so I don't think it is just that the first 26 episodes have only been licensed, it is just announced that the first 26 episodes of Season 1 will air, but as you said nearing the end of that we will probably get an announcement for season 2 and making a big deal over that! Apparently France and Italy both had the same press release in mentioning the first 26 episodes even though it is known the likes of France have dubbed above that, FUNi have been dubbing since July it seems so I think they should be in the midst of the Freeza arc by now.
Toonami France confirmed to db-z.com that they are airing the first 27 episodes to begin with.
Like Baggie_Saiyan said, they have dubbed way beyond that point.

http://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super-e ... -des-2017/

I personally think they'll announce the new Arcs as they get closer to airing.
That way they maintain the hype, and get to announce the long awaited casting for the new characters.
They haven't even posted the Freeza Arc casting, yet they confirmed they have it.
Again, I feel casting will be made public only weeks before airing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:17 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Toonami France confirmed to db-z.com that they are airing the first 27 episodes to begin with.
Like Baggie_Saiyan said, they have dubbed way beyond that point.

http://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super-e ... -des-2017/

I personally think they'll announce the new Arcs as they get closer to airing.
That way they maintain the hype, and get to announce the long awaited casting for the new characters.
They haven't even posted the Freeza Arc casting, yet they confirmed they have it.
Again, I feel casting will be made public only weeks before airing.
Kai they're just gonna let that run hence why the released the entire cast, it makes sense to keep drumming up interest over Super, and you're probably spot on about them releasing the cast mere weeks before the new arc/season starts, for the latest Fairy Tail arc they didn't reveal the cast until a week before it was out!

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Is anyone else bothered that the Hell scene was left in? I know taking it out would've made the episode less than 23 minutes, but come on.

Now I have to headcanon why all the villains were free and not in their own personal torture prisons.

I'm just assuming they were let out to watch the SS3 Goku vs. Kid Buu fight and then they were sent back to their prisons. Frieza was probably sent back to his hanging hive after the match and that's where we saw him in RoF.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Personally I'm gal the hell scene was left in if just because it means that much more Ayers Frieza in the dub

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Personally I'm gal the hell scene was left in if just because it means that much more Ayers Frieza in the dub
I do hope Ayers will talk, but I hope they give a reason as to why the villains are watching the fight. Gozu and Mezu (I think that was their names) knew Goku, yet he never met them in Kai. I just hope there is one line about being allowed to watch the fight and then returned to their prisons.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 pm

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Is anyone else bothered that the Hell scene was left in? I know taking it out would've made the episode less than 23 minutes, but come on.

Now I have to headcanon why all the villains were free and not in their own personal torture prisons.

I'm just assuming they were let out to watch the SS3 Goku vs. Kid Buu fight and then they were sent back to their prisons. Frieza was probably sent back to his hanging hive after the match and that's where we saw him in RoF.
Oh yeah, it ticks me off to the point that I'm planning to edit it out of the release with some video editing software when I back the blu ray up to my PC. I did it with the Japanese version and I'll do it with this one too. It actually worked pretty well.

It wouldn't bother me so much if Kai 1.0 hadn't done a nice job of editing that type of stuff out, and Frieza wasn't going to be resurrected so soon from then in Super, which makes the scene very confusing for casual/newcomer fans I'm sure

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Personally, i'm just hoping they change the line of Goku falling off Snake Way to one of flying over it, or something, since continuity-wise, that wouldn't make any sense in Kai. As for the villains, they could maybe retcon in some explanation about them not being judged into their own versions of hell, but I don't know if they're going to go to the trouble. Then again, sometimes they include somethings in the dub that improve upon the Japanese, but those were mostly jokes you'd only get if you were a hardcore fan, the TFS references, anyone?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:53 pm

Realistically, there is no way Funi would change the dialogue so much that it alters the story, even if it is a minor thing like this, and even if it would help fix inconsistencies. Yes, it's a plot hole, but those are everywhere in the series.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."