"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by funrush » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyD_05a ... freload=10
Schemmel is incredible in this speech.
That speech might be one of my favorite performances in DB if it didn't remind me of his King Kai.

That song is fine but it's ill-placed. Even the timing is off. The track should have been set to end at the moment when Goku and Vegeta collide, not on a random shot of Buu.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 am

I love the Buu arc, I really do but MAN some of the writing is just bad, why on earth didn't Goku use IT to get to Bulma's parents home and get the radar himself, no way Babidi and Buu were gonna get there before Goku using IT, "Bulma where is the dragon radar", "spaceship". 2 seconds later Goku comes back. Job done. Not a day wasted going SS3 for no reason.
And then finding out Goku couldve beat Buu but then entrusting two kids he barely knows to a technique he barely knows in theory yet when he finds out people are dying on Earth he has the cheek to be angry/upset stfu dude. "Oh technically I'm not alive and shouldn't be here so I shouldn't be the one to end it", ooooh really mate? Buu being summoned was your f*cking fault having a prissy ballet match with Vegeta suddenly you weren't too dead for that mate, and then being an absolute tool falling for the fake truce ruse. :roll:.

I'm sorry but I think this maybe the worst I've seen Goku written. Unbelievable stuff.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I love the Buu arc, I really do but MAN some of the writing is just bad, why on earth didn't Goku use IT to get to Bulma's parents home and get the radar himself, no way Babidi and Buu were gonna get there before Goku using IT, "Bulma where is the dragon radar", "spaceship". 2 seconds later Goku comes back. Job done. Not a day wasted going SS3 for no reason.
And then finding out Goku couldve beat Buu but then entrusting two kids he barely knows to a technique he barely knows in theory yet when he finds out people are dying on Earth he has the cheek to be angry/upset stfu dude. "Oh technically I'm not alive and shouldn't be here so I shouldn't be the one to end it", ooooh really mate? Buu being summoned was your f*cking fault having a prissy ballet match with Vegeta suddenly you weren't too dead for that mate, and then being an absolute tool falling for the fake truce ruse. :roll:.

I'm sorry but I think this maybe the worst I've seen Goku written. Unbelievable stuff.
Oh, Super has a LOT worse Goku moments, trust me. This has been said in other places, but asspulls, man. Asspulls aplenty in this arc after a little while. SS3? Just a cool power-up that goes against what was set up for Goku fighting Vegeta. Goku could've beat Buu at SS3? Yeah, just apparently part of Goku's reckless idiocy to let Goten & Trunks have a go at fighting Buu. This is, honestly, where Goku's character started to slip in both his sanity & common sense, not that he had much in the way of THAT before this arc, but at least he still could be counted upon to help do the right thing all the time. Actually, it probably started when he let Gohan fight Cell, but this is really where it came to a head. It's probably where Toei's looking to write Goku in Super. Toriyama always said that Goku's always meant to be a bit selfish, but the writing staff of Super really flanderized how much he most likely meant. Schemmel's gonna have a field day berating Goku's characterization in Super, I'm sure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I love the Buu arc, I really do but MAN some of the writing is just bad, why on earth didn't Goku use IT to get to Bulma's parents home and get the radar himself, no way Babidi and Buu were gonna get there before Goku using IT, "Bulma where is the dragon radar", "spaceship". 2 seconds later Goku comes back. Job done. Not a day wasted going SS3 for no reason.

Oh, Super has a LOT worse Goku moments, trust me. This has been said in other places, but asspulls, man. Asspulls aplenty in this arc after a little while. SS3? Just a cool power-up that goes against what was set up for Goku fighting Vegeta. Goku could've beat Buu at SS3? Yeah, just apparently part of Goku's reckless idiocy to let Goten & Trunks have a go at fighting Buu. This is, honestly, where Goku's character started to slip in both his sanity & common sense, not that he had much in the way of THAT before this arc, but at least he still could be counted upon to help do the right thing all the time. Actually, it probably started when he let Gohan fight Cell, but this is really where it came to a head. It's probably where Toei's looking to write Goku in Super. Toriyama always said that Goku's always meant to be a bit selfish, but the writing staff of Super really flanderized
how much he most likely meant
. Schemmel's gonna have a field day berating Goku's characterization in Super, I'm sure.
What if this is exactly what Toriyama intended? I'm not saying its 255% set in stone yet. But if it was what would you say? I would be fine either way.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Scsigs wrote:

Oh, Super has a LOT worse Goku moments, trust me. This has been said in other places, but asspulls, man. Asspulls aplenty in this arc after a little while. SS3? Just a cool power-up that goes against what was set up for Goku fighting Vegeta. Goku could've beat Buu at SS3? Yeah, just apparently part of Goku's reckless idiocy to let Goten & Trunks have a go at fighting Buu. This is, honestly, where Goku's character started to slip in both his sanity & common sense, not that he had much in the way of THAT before this arc, but at least he still could be counted upon to help do the right thing all the time. Actually, it probably started when he let Gohan fight Cell, but this is really where it came to a head. It's probably where Toei's looking to write Goku in Super. Toriyama always said that Goku's always meant to be a bit selfish, but the writing staff of Super really flanderized how much he most likely meant. Schemmel's gonna have a field day berating Goku's characterization in Super, I'm sure.
I dunno most of goofball idiot SuperGoku is happening at inconsequential times so it is fine with me, the closest he has come to actions causing danger is the current arc but then that isn't his fault at all since Zen-Oh planned to erase anyway.

Anyway I think SS3 being introduced was the worst thing to happen, at this point the plot of the Buu arc was like thin ice it was just about working, then SS3 happened and everything broke. It retroactively ruined the Majin fight, perhaps that is why Toriyama made the fight short in the Manga? Along with SS3 the revelation Goku could win but didn't on purpose created a false sense of tension, not to mention SS3 has too much of drawback from draining time and reducing fusion etc. Honestly not sure why Toriyama intro'd it at all.

You are right actually, Goku should have learned from Gohan in Cell arc, Gohan messed around and basically made Goku sacrifice himself and even after all that Gohan still needed Goku's help to finally beat Cell.

Anyway started Part 3, the dub is fire! So so so so so so so good, just a shame the problems are out of FUNi's hand ie music.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 am

Gotenks vs Super Buu is easily the best fight in the Buu arc! Absolutely hilarious. Sabat's Piccolo has got a lot of time to shine in this arc! Utterly brilliant.

Goku saying goodbye to Gohan was kind of a disappointment tbh it was match for match with the subtitles, and I didn't hear any extra emotion from Goku that Schemmel claimed he did. Odd.

Also the credits keep listing Tipton as Trunks that is mistake correct?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Gotenks vs Super Buu is easily the best fight in the Buu arc! Absolutely hilarious. Sabat's Piccolo has got a lot of time to shine in this arc! Utterly brilliant.

Goku saying goodbye to Gohan was kind of a disappointment tbh it was match for match with the subtitles, and I didn't hear any extra emotion from Goku that Schemmel claimed he did. Odd.

Yes. Though Tipton does do the Trunks half of Gotenks, Bailey is still the non-fused Trunks throughout.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Gotenks vs Super Buu is easily the best fight in the Buu arc! Absolutely hilarious. Sabat's Piccolo has got a lot of time to shine in this arc! Utterly brilliant.

Yes. Though Tipton does do the Trunks half of Gotenks, Bailey is still the non-fused Trunks throughout.
I see thank you. Kind of odd, I know the Buu arc was recorded in the span of 3yrs so unless it was around the latter time Bailey got busy and they for some reason were saving Gotenks for last, I don't quite understand why.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:

I see thank you. Kind of odd, I know the Buu arc was recorded in the span of 3yrs so unless it was around the latter time Bailey got busy and they for some reason were saving Gotenks for last, I don't quite understand why.
No problem! To answer why, I believe that Sabat said that Tipton had been filling in for Gotenks for a while since doing the Gotenks voice was too much stress on Bailey's voice. I kinda get it - she's a pretty big voice actor right now, appearing in a lot of domestic cartoons and games from what I understand (I remember hearing her as Black Widow in one of the Avengers cartoons). Doing too many stressful voices where she has to rest her voice for extended periods of time could potentially get in the way of her other work.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
No problem! To answer why, I believe that Sabat said that Tipton had been filling in for Gotenks for a while since doing the Gotenks voice was too much stress on Bailey's voice. I kinda get it - she's a pretty big voice actor right now, appearing in a lot of domestic cartoons and games from what I understand (I remember hearing her as Black Widow in one of the Avengers cartoons). Doing too many stressful voices where she has to rest her voice for extended periods of time could potentially get in the way of her other work.
Yeah that is understandable that and fair play to Sabat from the comments he made after the DBS cast announcement, but that is interesting I had no idea Gotenks voice was even more stressful to her, the more you know.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Nooooo they didn't have Gohan call Buu a "retard" was lowkey looking forward to that, the subs also changed it from retard to ignoramus, I dunno Piccolo and Goten, Trunks reaction doesn't mesh with "fool" at all, I understand not using retard but they could have picked a stronger word than "fool", mean they throw "bastard" around willy nilly.

Way better than the Z dub where Gohan said "nice day" and Piccolo and co were reacting to how strong he was not what he was saying though.

Also Cook's Buu sounds kinda weird, a bit deeper?

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Nooooo they didn't have Gohan call Buu a "retard" was lowkey looking forward to that, the subs also changed it from retard to ignoramus, I dunno Piccolo and Goten, Trunks reaction doesn't mesh with "fool" at all, I understand not using retard but they could have picked a stronger word than "fool", mean they throw "bastard" around willy nilly.

Way better than the Z dub where Gohan said "nice day" and Piccolo and co were reacting to how strong he was not what he was saying though.

Also Cook's Buu sounds kinda weird, a bit deeper?
Honestly I had no delusions that they would have him use the word "retard", but thought that "moron" or "dumbass" would have had the same effect, just much less offensive. Hell, in this dub Goku calls the entire population of Earth "dumbasses" when they're refusing to raise their hands.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:53 am

Almost finished "Part 2" Blu-Ray.

Damn the Buu saga has some of the best animation in the series. Makes you totally miss traditional Cel animation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 am

LordCrumb wrote:he Buu saga has some of the best animation in the series.
Yet the manga was at its lowest point in terms of art and fights. It's really great to see Toei bring their A game to the table and improve on the mistakes made in the manga. Toei's Buu arc is exactly how you end a long running anime and Kai cutting out what little filler it had makes it even better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:48 am

There's nothing little about the filler in the Buu arc. Your mileage may vary whether you enjoy it or not however.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:35 am

MR.Mark wrote:There's nothing little about the filler in the Buu arc.
Let me change that.

Toei's Buu arc is exactly how you end a long running anime and Kai cutting out what little filler it had(compared to the Namek events at least)makes it even better.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:53 am

Well, IMO what I'm getting at is I would of been far happier with the Kai Buu arc had it been edited in the same style as Kai 1.0
The Kai Buu arc should of been 50 episodes at MOST, 69 was still majorly bloated.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:56 am

Supreme Kai....sigh. Seriously he is just the worst doesn't know a damn thing! Doesn't know what the Dragon Balls do! Doesn't know about Portara! At least Shin admitted how useless he was and Elder Kai calling him out was the greatest thing ever. :lol: Between him and Beerus my lord no wonder we're in this current plight in DBS!

ohaimynameiserik wrote: Honestly I had no delusions that they would have him use the word "retard", but thought that "moron" or "dumbass" would have had the same effect, just much less offensive. Hell, in this dub Goku calls the entire population of Earth "dumbasses" when they're refusing to raise their hands.
"Moron" or "dumbass" would have been more effective in this case I think since Trunks already called Buu an "idiot" to his face so everyone's reaction to Gohan saying "fool" doesn't mesh well imo, but a minor nitpick in an otherwise phenomenal dub.
sintzu wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:he Buu saga has some of the best animation in the series.
Yet the manga was at its lowest point in terms of art and fights. It's really great to see Toei bring their A game to the table and improve on the mistakes made in the manga. Toei's Buu arc is exactly how you end a long running anime and Kai cutting out what little filler it had makes it even better.
For the most part the Masayuki Uchiyama episodes still stick out like a sore thumb unfortunately.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:For the most part the Masayuki Uchiyama episodes still stick out like a sore thumb unfortunately.
Even with those episodes I still think the Buu arc as a whole is the best part of the anime from a production side of things.