"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Seeing as how Funimation is releasing the final season of the original show on bluray this month, does anyone think it likely or possible to see them begin to release the initial parts of the Kai Buu saga in the first or second quarter of 2015, or do you think it more likely for them to wait until the show has completed its TV airing elsewhere in the world and we see a Fall 2015 beginning release? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't go ahead and start early in the year. Even if they were concerned about the tv airing, they obviously release the parts a few months a part at the time, so either way the initial broadcast would certainly be over well before all of the home release was finished being put into stores. Opinions?

Or perhaps do you think that the current Adult Swim run will continue on and it progress through the Buu arc on american television as a part of a single run through of the whole series before we get a home release? That thought just occurred to me as well.
Last edited by ShaneisMC on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Samwize78 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm

I would say probably spring 2015, probably around April or May. FUNimation usually begins releasing the first part of a new series around the spring season. FUNi currently has their release schedule filled through February 2015 though, so the earliest we can expect it (at this point, at least) is March. I don't think the TV airings will have any effect on the home releases, either.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm

The Adult Swim airing has no effect on this. These airings have a tendency to be WAY behind DVD releases, not only here, but One Piece and Naruto are also good examples. We're talking 100s of episodes behind here.

I really hope they don't release it in Parts first or anything. We had to wait longer than originally expected and even though it isn't their fault, they really should get those 69 episodes out quickly. Ah, then again, that's just wishful thinking. Wonder how they're going to split it.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:06 am

Season 9 of DBZ's Blu-ray release is being released soon so that free space could be used for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters in 2015.

I sure hope they consider this a series of its own, i.e, starting from Collection/Season 1 to 4 (I'm guessing there'll be at least 4 boxes of them) rather than continuing as Seasons 5-9 for Kai 1.0 which doesn't really fit well, unless they get rid off the official International title of Kai 2.0 but that's not gonna happen, imo.

Hm, it'll be really nice to hear Fight It Out! in its absolute best quality. :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:16 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Season 9 of DBZ's Blu-ray release is being released soon so that free space could be used for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters in 2015.

I sure hope they consider this a series of its own, i.e, starting from Collection/Season 1 to 4 (I'm guessing there'll be at least 4 boxes of them) rather than continuing as Seasons 5-9 for Kai 1.0 which doesn't really fit well, unless they get rid off the official International title of Kai 2.0 but that's not gonna happen, imo.

Hm, it'll be really nice to hear Fight It Out! in its absolute best quality. :D
you think fight it out will be dubbed?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 am

But Fight It Out!! is already in English (er, Engrish) if FUNimation dubbed it then they'd take the awesomeness out of it although there's a chance that Vic Mignogna could be on par with it as he's really good as well as Greg Ayres, and well, we'd know what the singer's saying.. SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE SAID FOR THE ENGRISH VERSION! :P
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:But Fight It Out!! is already in English (er, Engrish) if FUNimation dubbed it then they'd take the awesomeness out of it although there's a chance that Vic Mignogna could be on par with it as he's really good as well as Greg Ayres, and well, we'd know what the singer's saying.. SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE SAID FOR THE ENGRISH VERSION! :P
I'm curious is all because they did dub dragon soul so you never know even though that songs in japanese
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 am

I don't think it'd be 4 Seasons, more like 3. Splitting 69 episodes into 3 gives us 23 each, which is around the average Season episode count. I'm just hoping they don't do Parts and give us the Seasons we've been waiting for.

Most likely, the numbering will be Seasons 1-3, corresponding to the episode count being 1-69, seeing as how this is marketed as a sequel series everywhere except Japan.

"This sucks. Make more."

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:03 pm

As much as I'd love for FUNimation to go ahead skip the "parts" and release the series into their season sets, I just don't see it happening. The "parts" are the standard for their releases. Every property they release always comes out in "parts" first, then the more collected (and much cheaper) "seasons" follow after. Even enormously long shows like One Piece are still getting the "parts" treatment. Plus, they make more money that way.

So with 69 episodes, that'll probably come to 3 seasons, as mentioned. That'll equal 6 parts, which will probably be released every 2 to 3 months, giving us about a year's worth of releases.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:37 am

^Oh, I wasn't aware they did this for everything. You're probably right, then. Oh, well, guess I'll have to wait even longer.

"This sucks. Make more."

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

As a normal rule I would absolutely be with you. I prefer to have Season Sets as well. However in this case seeing as how Parts 1-4 have the Yamamoto score, are imo better, and most certainly are more rare because of whats happened I've collected the series in Parts all the way throughout. So for me it would really suck if they just skipped "parts" at this point. My collection would look really awkward with Parts 1-8. and then like Seasons 5-7. :p Hopefully for everyones benefit they just quickly release both parts and season sets in as quickly a manner as possible.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I guess I could see the other side, but I'm pretty sure that they'd do in in Parts 1-6 rather than 9-15, likewise Seasons 1-3, not 5-7. It seems to be treated as a sequel series.

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 pm

If they were to release the Part edition and Kai 2.0's called "The Final Chapters" then it'd possibly be from Parts 1 and up rather than 9+.

Kai 2.0 tries to be its own series while Episode 01 has a quick recap for Z's Saiyan-Cell arc, just like Kai 1.0 did for Dragon Ball but in this case didn't gave Dragon Ball a treatment. Majin Boo feels good enough to be recognised as the third part of Dragon Ball Z

P.S.: Oh yeah the season releases would only last 3 Seasons because they can't milk the hell out of it even if they went with 23-ep Seasons but if there were a Part release then it could last 5 boxes with 12/13 eps. I'll be going with the Season boxsets. :)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:31 am

I hope it's this year !!! :cry:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:01 am

TheLegend23 wrote:I hope it's this year !!! :cry:
The original Kai came out a year and a month after it was released in Japan. So it could happen as soon as May this year but it probably will arrive a little later than that.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:26 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:If they were to release the Part edition and Kai 2.0's called "The Final Chapters" then it'd possibly be from Parts 1 and up rather than 9+.

Kai 2.0 tries to be its own series while Episode 01 has a quick recap for Z's Saiyan-Cell arc, just like Kai 1.0 did for Dragon Ball but in this case didn't gave Dragon Ball a treatment. Majin Boo feels good enough to be recognised as the third part of Dragon Ball Z

P.S.: Oh yeah the season releases would only last 3 Seasons because they can't milk the hell out of it even if they went with 23-ep Seasons but if there were a Part release then it could last 5 boxes with 12/13 eps. I'll be going with the Season boxsets. :)
I'm gonna go out on a limb an pretty much guarantee itll be 6 parts at 11/12, sticking to the 2 parts per season treatment.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:57 pm

If FUNimation does firstly release it on Parts then it's possible it'll sell pretty bad compared to the eventual Season sets which will have a lot more episodes and it'll be exactly the same. This time around there's just nothing to justify getting it on Parts.

The Final Chapters is a sequel to Kai 1.0 so it'll commence from Episode 01 through 69. Season sets will have three volumes at least.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:45 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If FUNimation does firstly release it on Parts then it's possible it'll sell pretty bad compared to the eventual Season sets which will have a lot more episodes and it'll be exactly the same. This time around there's just nothing to justify getting it on Parts.

The Final Chapters is a sequel to Kai 1.0 so it'll commence from Episode 01 through 69. Season sets will have three volumes at least.
Its still obviously all a part of the same series, whether they try to market it separately or not. Also they always release in Parts first. As someone who personally has the Saiyan through Cell sagas in parts, and someone who is relatively impatient an doesnt want to have to wait any longer than they have to, i will absolutely be getting the rest in parts as well.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If FUNimation does firstly release it on Parts then it's possible it'll sell pretty bad compared to the eventual Season sets which will have a lot more episodes and it'll be exactly the same. This time around there's just nothing to justify getting it on Parts.

Funimation released the first run of Kai in 13 episode chunks because they needed to recoup their investment in the license and dub production. It's easier to do that spread across multiple releases. I don't see how that doesn't apply to The Final Chapters.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 pm

What was Amazon's typical on-release price for FUNimation's DVD Kai parts? I would also like to know the typical Blu-ray price.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote: