"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:51 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I think when Kai ends MHA will take its slot.
I didn't bring MHA up cause I thought it had already been airing. You have a good point about Shippuden as at one ep per week it'll never end (which may be the point).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Might be My Hero Academia, or they just might keep Kai going for another few years or so & keep it as a staple series on the channel.
What about Boruto ? if they're willing to air 2 DB shows then they might also do 2 Naruto shows.
Well, for one, they're not even done dubbing Shippuden yet. Yuri Lowenthal confirmed in a recent interview with Kuro the Artist that they're nearing the end of the series, but they're not quite there yet. Boruto, i don't think, will start production of the dub until later this year at the earliest, if not earlier next year, mostly because they need to do preproduction work like casting, translation, & scripting first. They have cast members from the movie that they're most likely going to bring back, but they'll need more, depending on how far into the series the producers watch, or get character lists. So, no. Boruto won't come to Toonami for a few years until they're done with Shippuden & I don't think they're gonna be willing to skip passed the rest of Shippuden like they did the last however many episodes of Naruto to get to Shippuden. DBZ Kai is, at least, material that's been broadcast on Toonami before, just cut down & with a better dub, so that makes sense to show Super at the same time as it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Scsigs wrote:I don't think they're gonna be willing to skip passed the rest of Shippuden like they did the last however many episodes of Naruto.
I wasn't talking about skipping Shppuden, just airing Boruto alongside it like they're doing with Kai and Super. Shippuden will go on for another 6 years on Toonami as they're just entering the 200s so there's no reason to wait that long if they're going to start dubbing Boruto this year or early next year.

In terms of Naruto, it made sense to skip those episodes as everything after 135 was filler.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I don't think they're gonna be willing to skip passed the rest of Shippuden like they did the last however many episodes of Naruto.
I wasn't talking about skipping Shppuden, just airing Boruto alongside it like they're doing with Kai and Super. Shippuden will go on for another 6 years on Toonami as they're just entering the 200s so there's no reason to wait that long if they're going to start dubbing Boruto this year or early next year.

In terms of Naruto, it made sense to skip those episodes as everything after 135 was filler.
Right, I got off track there. I should've made the point that Naruto isn't as popular as Dragon Ball is. And for Naruto, then what they should've done was skip over the last 85 episodes & go right on to Shippuden. I doubt many people would've minded. I'm still waiting for them to release Blu-Rays at some point like they're doing for Bleach to watch Shippuden. I doubt that they'd have another slot devoted to Naruto over Dragon Ball.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:01 am

Scsigs wrote:I'm still waiting for them to release Blu-Rays at some point like they're doing for Bleach to watch Shippuden.
Manga UK is releasing it in 10 DVD box sets once a year each with 50 episodes or so. The 8th one will release late this year. I know it's not as good as a Blue-Ray but it seems like it'll take forever for those to release if they decided to do them. The 1st Bleach Blu-Ray set was released al the way back in July 2016 yet here we are 2 years later and they've just released 4.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 am

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I'm still waiting for them to release Blu-Rays at some point like they're doing for Bleach to watch Shippuden.
Manga UK is releasing it in 10 DVD box sets once a year each with 50 episodes or so. The 8th one will release late this year. I know it's not as good as a Blue-Ray but it seems like it'll take forever for those to release if they decided to do them. The 1st Bleach Blu-Ray set was released al the way back in July 2016 yet here we are 2 years later and they've just released 4.
It took, what, 4 years for Bleach to get Blu-Ray sets out after it ended in Japan? Slightly less than that for the dub to finish? While I don't know if they'll do it for the original Naruto, since the "season" box sets seem to be the most definitive releases of that show, unless they get the license to the remastered recut of the show, Naruto: Shonen Hen, that they have yet to license & release over here, I think they'll leave that series alone. Having more definitive sets come out with more episodes per like Bleach on Blu-Ray would be excellent, especially since the 2 sets I do have of Shippuden look like they suffer from compression problems that screw with the video quality. They're the ones from years ago, so that's probably why, but still, I'd like the best quality possible, even if it is upscaled. Anyways, I imagine they'll do it eventually.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am

To get back on topic, it looks like May is going to be the Spirit Bomb energy-gathering portion of the Kid Buu fight.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

ultrainstinctshaggy

Post by ultrainstinctshaggy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but I wanted to at least try here first before TFC finishes its broadcast run if nothing else.

I was hoping I could get in touch with anyone with access to Kai episodes "Hang In There, Kakarot! You Are No. 1!" (159) and "Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!" (106). I was involved with a scrub of sorts of the FUNimation cast info for this and DBS on platforms such as Anime News Network and I was hoping I could get transcripts or screenshots of the cast credits from these episodes. For the former, I tried to catch it on [adult swim] video, but the playback for that one episode in particular was shot, and as for the latter, I completely missed out on it.

I was hoping to see if the cast list for Kai ep 159 included the likes of Jim Foronda as Cell, Chris Rager as Goz, Mike McFarland as Mez, and so on. Later episodes (especially ep 156) assure me of the scope of characters credited, but I'd like to know the full extent given some of the other hijinks that have taken place (Cris George uncredited as Yakon, Alexis Tipton replacing Laura Bailey as Trunks separately post-Gotenks' debut, that sort of thing).

For 106 I am very well aware of a certain controversy, regarding a certain scene. Disregarding this, however, I wish to know whether a "Barry Allen" was credited in addition to "Bart Allen" (Fake Goku), "Jay Garrick" (Fake Mr. Satan) and "Wally West" (Fake Cell) [all mentioned in FUNimation's initial cast announcment], given a video on the topic by Chris Niosi. I was keeping tabs on the IMDb entry for that episode, and couldn't help but notice that "Barry Allen" (Fake Vegeta) was added after its release (along with VA info for the DBZ archive audio for the scene that was used instead, mentioned at 5:02). I want to know how "Barry Allen" was truly credited in that ep, if at all, for Fake Vegeta (and/or Fake Piccolo) if for no other reason than to know how applicable the Flash alias names can be to the other DBZ VAs (for example, if "Barry Allen" was only credited for Fake Vegeta and not Fake Piccolo, then it's clearly referencing the DBZ VAs).

...Actually, if you don't mind, throw in ep 116 ("Don't Sell Super Saiyans Short! Vegeta and Goku's Full-Bore Power!") as well. I've heard Scott Freeman was credited for that.

If it is your wish that I purchase the DVD/Blu-Rays and see for myself I understand. I just wanted to try this first before making that investment. Thanks for reading.
"Esto es el fin, El Grande Padre." - Gohan Blanco

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

God this is surreal

What's it been now? Five years since 1.0's dub finished?
Can't believe the broadcast is finally on the last episode

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:12 am

Haven't really been watching, but thought guys woud like to know it will be replaced with the comedy series "Pop Team Epic" next week. Last episode is on now Pacific time.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Well you know what they say about Pop Team Epic...

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

For the broadcast.... did they go with Flow's Cha-La-Head-Cha-La as the background music for the final scene of the final episode, or did they go with Norihito Sumitomo's original BGM?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:For the broadcast.... did they go with Flow's Cha-La-Head-Cha-La as the background music for the final scene of the final episode, or did they go with Norihito Sumitomo's original BGM?
They used Cha-La. While I didn't see it live myself, but I saw several Twitter reactions of people getting excited at hearing Cha-La.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 pm

ultrainstinctshaggy wrote:Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but I wanted to at least try here first before TFC finishes its broadcast run if nothing else.

I was hoping I could get in touch with anyone with access to Kai episodes "Hang In There, Kakarot! You Are No. 1!" (159) and "Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!" (106). I was involved with a scrub of sorts of the FUNimation cast info for this and DBS on platforms such as Anime News Network and I was hoping I could get transcripts or screenshots of the cast credits from these episodes. For the former, I tried to catch it on [adult swim] video, but the playback for that one episode in particular was shot, and as for the latter, I completely missed out on it.

I was hoping to see if the cast list for Kai ep 159 included the likes of Jim Foronda as Cell, Chris Rager as Goz, Mike McFarland as Mez, and so on. Later episodes (especially ep 156) assure me of the scope of characters credited, but I'd like to know the full extent given some of the other hijinks that have taken place (Cris George uncredited as Yakon, Alexis Tipton replacing Laura Bailey as Trunks separately post-Gotenks' debut, that sort of thing).

For 106 I am very well aware of a certain controversy, regarding a certain scene. Disregarding this, however, I wish to know whether a "Barry Allen" was credited in addition to "Bart Allen" (Fake Goku), "Jay Garrick" (Fake Mr. Satan) and "Wally West" (Fake Cell) [all mentioned in FUNimation's initial cast announcment], given a video on the topic by Chris Niosi. I was keeping tabs on the IMDb entry for that episode, and couldn't help but notice that "Barry Allen" (Fake Vegeta) was added after its release (along with VA info for the DBZ archive audio for the scene that was used instead, mentioned at 5:02). I want to know how "Barry Allen" was truly credited in that ep, if at all, for Fake Vegeta (and/or Fake Piccolo) if for no other reason than to know how applicable the Flash alias names can be to the other DBZ VAs (for example, if "Barry Allen" was only credited for Fake Vegeta and not Fake Piccolo, then it's clearly referencing the DBZ VAs).

...Actually, if you don't mind, throw in ep 116 ("Don't Sell Super Saiyans Short! Vegeta and Goku's Full-Bore Power!") as well. I've heard Scott Freeman was credited for that.

If it is your wish that I purchase the DVD/Blu-Rays and see for myself I understand. I just wanted to try this first before making that investment. Thanks for reading.
Checking 106, there are no credits in the main cast list for any of the "fake" characters. "Barry Allen" is credited under "Additional Voices", along with "Wally West" and "Jay Garrick", but there's no credit for "Bart Allen". I've transcribed the entire "Additional Voices" list in the spoiler below.

[spoiler]ADDITIONAL VOICES
Aaron Roberts
Alex Dobrenko
Anthony Bowling
Apphia Yu
Austin Tindle
Barry Allen
Bellamy Boeske
Brett Weaver
Clifford Chapin
David Matranga
Duncan Brannan
Eric Silva
Felecia Angelle
J. Michael Tatum
Jay Garrick
Justin Rojas
Matt Thurston
Micah Solusod
Morgan Garrett
Phil Parsons
Ryan Reynolds
Sean O'Connor
Stan Robak
Stephen Hoff
Terri Doty
Todd Haberkorn
Wally West
Zach Bolton[/spoiler]

116 has no credit for Scott Freeman

And as for 159, I've transcribed the full cast list in the spoiler below

[spoiler]CAST
GOKU Sean Schemmel
KRILLIN Sonny Strait
VEGETA Christopher R. Sabat
YAMCHA Christopher R. Sabat
MR. SATAN Chris Rager
DENDE Justin Cook
BEE Christopher Bevins
ELDER KAI Kent Williams
KIBITO KAI Kent Williams
FRIEZA Chris Ayers
CELL Jim Foronda
BABIDI Duncan Brannan
BUU Josh Martin
KING KAI Sean Schemmel
BURTER Christopher R. Sabat
DR. GERO Kent Williams
GOHAN Kyle Hebert
GOZ Chris Rager
GULDO Greg Ayers
JEICE Christopher R. Sabat
MEZ Mike McFarland
NARRATOR Doc Morgan
RECOOME Christopher R. Sabat
EXTRAS
Alejandro Saab
Brad Venable
Chase Ainsworth
Chris Guerrero
Jim Foronda
Josh Grelle
Ray Hurd[/spoiler]

Hope this is what you're looking for!
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 am

Well, now all of Kai has been broadcasted. To think there was a time where this was not even going to be possible.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

ultrainstinctshaggy

Post by ultrainstinctshaggy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Hope this is what you're looking for!
Perfect. Fills all the gaps I had and more. Thank you so much, I thought I'd be that much further up the creek if FUNimation Now didn't wind up picking this up.
"Esto es el fin, El Grande Padre." - Gohan Blanco

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 pm

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, was anything ever done officially about the sound effects on the DVDs/Blu-rays being messed up?

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:34 pm

I want these on UK bluray. I own the other Z Kai ones. Bring out after cell damn it :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm

SSJmole wrote:I want these on UK bluray. I own the other Z Kai ones. Bring out after cell damn it :lol:
I'm guessing MangaUK will release this once Super is done to fill the stop gap between it and whenever they acquire the inevitable sequel series.

Yes I know Kai didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, but Jerome (on his now deactivated) Twitter said DVD sales specifically were terrible but Blu-Ray did decent, so they are most likely saving it for a time they'll need a Dragon Ball series that sells something as opposed to a series that sells like hot cakes such as Super.

It's a problem with The Final Chapters in general as TOEI's restrictions made it very hard for Funimation to get their dub out while it was still new and fresh.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
SSJmole wrote:I want these on UK bluray. I own the other Z Kai ones. Bring out after cell damn it :lol:
I'm guessing MangaUK will release this once Super is done to fill the stop gap between it and whenever they acquire the inevitable sequel series.

Yes I know Kai didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, but Jerome (on his now deactivated) Twitter said DVD sales specifically were terrible but Blu-Ray did decent, so they are most likely saving it for a time they'll need a Dragon Ball series that sells something as opposed to a series that sells like hot cakes such as Super.

It's a problem with The Final Chapters in general as TOEI's restrictions made it very hard for Funimation to get their dub out while it was still new and fresh.

Makes sense. I was hoping to go through all of Z Kai before super but that ship sailed lol. Now I'm waiting for volume 4 of Super while trying to catch up on bleach (I stoped on arc 9 because I hated that arc do much lol) I doubt I'll be caught up on super for broly movie (as Blu-ray are my first watch of super)

Hopefully they do the final chapters at some point.