"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:47 am

Muffin Man wrote:What I'm mostly looking forward to is that same feeling I had while watching the first three arcs of Kai. A blend of nostalgia mixed with the joy of experiencing a brand new and improved performance.

And another thing I'm pleased about: when you combine this with Dragon Ball, the english dub will now finally have a complete chronological progression from beginning to end (as in, every arc will have been dubbed after the previous arc) for the entire Dragon Ball story. That way the performances will have a natural progression in terms of improving over time rather than being all flipped around and awkwardly merged in the middle like the original Z dub.
Weren't the first 13 episodes of DB dubbed last?

I remember them being in a similar situation as the first 2 seasons of Z; where they'd been previously dubbed by Ocean actors and had to be redone after the fact for the bricks

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:52 am

Robo4900 wrote:So, what's the biggest thing everyone's looking forward to for Funi's Final Chapters dub?

For me personally, it'll be Vegeta's sacrifice.
Same here, looking forward to anything and everything Vegeta really. All his speeches as Majin Vegeta were top notch, looking forward to hearing an accurately translated English version of them. Also looking forward to when Kid Boo knocks him into a crater and he still comes crawling out, with Boo looking shocked that he can even still move. So many great Vegeta moments, I want to see and hear them all!

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:What I'm mostly looking forward to is that same feeling I had while watching the first three arcs of Kai. A blend of nostalgia mixed with the joy of experiencing a brand new and improved performance.

And another thing I'm pleased about: when you combine this with Dragon Ball, the english dub will now finally have a complete chronological progression from beginning to end (as in, every arc will have been dubbed after the previous arc) for the entire Dragon Ball story. That way the performances will have a natural progression in terms of improving over time rather than being all flipped around and awkwardly merged in the middle like the original Z dub.

I remember them being in a similar situation as the first 2 seasons of Z; where they'd been previously dubbed by Ocean actors and had to be redone after the fact for the bricks
No, they were just released on DVD last. They were dubbed first and aired on TV before the rest of the series but then Funimation was never allowed to release them on DVD until they finally got the rights years later (which is when we got the blue bricks).

Collecting this series in english has been one hell of a ride, I'll tell you that much.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:23 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Secondly, the line that Schemmel mentions about Goku apologizing for not being in Gohan's life. Was that in the Japanese version or is this something FUNi is making inaccurate to the original scripts?
Like others have said, it wasn't that the dialogue was changed, it's more so that he decided to give the delivery of the line a slightly different emotional tone than Nozawa did. He mentioned wanting to give the line and the character of Goku a little more depth than he usually has, so Goku sounds a little more sad in the dub for that scene. While the delivery hasn't been heard yet, some people have been on the fence about this because they're worried that the moment won't feel in-character for Goku.

My thought is...yeah, that's a risk, but one that I'm legitimately interested to hear him try. Besides, even if, worst-case scenario, that moment does end up feeling "un-Goku," (for lack of a better term), it's not like he's gonna do that for his whole performance on the show, it's just a few lines for one episode.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:25 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So is it conclusively confirmed that Vegetto will only have a single voice and not double? Why would they do that. That's a total cop out.
How so? If you ask me, they're making it HARDER on themselves by doing it single-voice. Now if the voice ends up being badly acted, there won't be any filters for it to hide behind; plus it's also a creative risk in terms of opening themselves up to criticism. If anything, what's they're doing is the opposite of a cop out.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 am

Fionordequester wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So is it conclusively confirmed that Vegetto will only have a single voice and not double? Why would they do that. That's a total cop out.
How so? If you ask me, they're making it HARDER on themselves by doing it single-voice. Now if the voice ends up being badly acted, there won't be any filters for it to hide behind; plus it's also a creative risk in terms of opening themselves up to criticism. If anything, what's they're doing is the opposite of a cop out.
Sounds harder to have two actors be completely in sync tbh.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 am

Even if the delivery is a bit different than Nozawa its not that big of a deal. Not every delivery is gonna be perfectly the same anyways. Sean just chose to take a more "fatherly" route with the delivery of 1 or 2 lines.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Finally about time they announce it.. It only took half a decade :( But It's a good feeling finally Kai and super being released on tv. So how long till it gets released as blu-ray? :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:46 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Secondly, the line that Schemmel mentions about Goku apologizing for not being in Gohan's life. Was that in the Japanese version or is this something FUNi is making inaccurate to the original scripts?
I'm also interested in seeing the interaction between Goku and Gohan. Although by now I do trust Schemmel to perform the line well. At worst it could end up sounding unlike Goku in the same way his "I won't let you destroy my world" statement in the Battle of Gods dub. Granted the circumstances aren't the same (this time its the acting as opposed to dialogue) and the original line wouldn't work in English but the result is similar. Its an uncharacteristic performance but its forgivable because it doesn't hurt the integrity of Goku's character too much. Anyway isn't it better for an actor in an adaptation to make a performance their own rather than trying to sound 100% note-for-note like the original? Although maybe thats just the catch 22 of dubbing :P
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I'm also interested in seeing the interaction between Goku and Gohan. Although by now I do trust Schemmel to perform the line well. At worst it could end up sounding unlike Goku in the same way his "I won't let you destroy my world" statement in the Battle of Gods dub. Granted the circumstances aren't the same (this time its the acting as opposed to dialogue) and the original line wouldn't work in English but the result is similar. Its an uncharacteristic performance but its forgivable because it doesn't hurt the integrity of Goku's character too much. Anyway isn't it better for an actor in an adaptation to make a performance their own rather than trying to sound 100% note-for-note like the original? Although maybe thats just the catch 22 of dubbing :P
That's how I feel :) As an actor their performance shouldn't always have to be exactly the same, the dialogue should but not always the delivery, Sean's been playing Goku for a long time I'm sure he's gonna do a good job and if not oh well its only 1 line. :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Isn't it better for an actor in an adaptation to make a performance their own rather than trying to sound 100% note-for-note like the original ?
Yes, if someone's just going to copy another actor then chances are the original will be better so I'll just watch that instead of a copycat.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Isn't it better for an actor in an adaptation to make a performance their own rather than trying to sound 100% note-for-note like the original ?
Yes, if someone's just going to copy another actor then chances are the original will be better so I'll just watch that instead of a copycat.
I'm pretty sure Ichigo's voice actor,Johnny Yong Bosch, commented on the fact that dub actors are voice ACTORS, not voice imitators. A pretty fine stance to take if you ask me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 pm

sangofe wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:
Sounds harder to have two actors be completely in sync tbh.
Ok, first, have you not heard the original English dub? They pulled it off fine, plus they still had Gotenks voiced by both voice actresses for Battle of Gods & that worked fine. I don't believe they'd change it now.
Second, have you not seen the Did You Know Voice Acting? videos on DBZ? In one of them, the narrator explains that for Vegito, they had Sabat record the lines first, then had Schemmel match his delivery. Then, they did the opposite for Gogeta. This was most likely to fit the personalities of the fused characters with who they more matched; Vegito for Vegeta & Gogeta for Goku. Don't know which one lead for Gotenks, but I imagine that they did something similar. Probably Trunks' voice actress since Gotenks is so full of himself.
In the original Japanese, I'm pretty sure they had both actors talk at the same times when recording, or they had them record separately, then layer their voices on top of each other from the clips I've heard.
Plus, they're WAY better voice actors now than back then, so I'm not discounting they're not going to do the same thing/have done the same thing for this dub.

Edit: Here's the video, all queued up for my source.
https://youtu.be/gaGvNc6jhnA?t=2m29s
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:49 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:

No, they dubbed them for the TV broadcasts. They just couldn't release DVDs with the episodes because Lionsgate had the rights to them for so long. Same with the first DB movie, though that WAS dubbed last because I don't know.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:54 pm

If our Vegetto turns out anything like Eric Legrand's Vegetto, then I'm all for it. It's not like FUNimation isn't capable of pulling off something like that. At least, I hope so.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Bansho64 wrote:If our Vegetto turns out anything like Eric Legrand's Vegetto, then I'm all for it. It's not like FUNimation isn't capable of pulling off something like that. At least, I hope so.
I watched that video and wow, it was awesome. A step up from their Z dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:03 am

Hey guys. Got word from the man himself, Sean Schemmel. I tweeted him about the voice of Vegito & he told me himself that, "Vegito has always been voiced by Chris and I since we started and will remain that way." It's all right here if you wanna read for yourselves.
https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 8108542976

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:09 am

Scsigs wrote:Hey guys. Got word from the man himself, Sean Schemmel. I tweeted him about the voice of Vegito & he told me himself that, "Vegito has always been voiced by Chris and I since we started and will remain that way." It's all right here if you wanna read for yourselves.
Oh, well, that's a downer. Though, it'll be good either way, so it's fine. I mean, for me, their Vegetto is ok as it is.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:16 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Hey guys. Got word from the man himself, Sean Schemmel. I tweeted him about the voice of Vegito & he told me himself that, "Vegito has always been voiced by Chris and I since we started and will remain that way." It's all right here if you wanna read for yourselves.
Oh, well, that's a downer. Though, it'll be good either way, so it's fine. I mean, for me, their Vegetto is ok as it is.
I'm sorry, but how is it a downer? I thought people wanted everything to be as close to the Japanese as possible in terms of translation & voice acting.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 am

Scsigs wrote: I'm sorry, but how is it a downer? I thought people wanted everything to be as close to the Japanese as possible in terms of translation & voice acting.
Honestly, I was hoping for something new. As long as they adhere to the dialogue faithfully, for this character specifically, I wouldn't mind if they did something new.

With the right effects, I think a one person voiced Vegetto made to sound like two people could potentially sound better than one actually voiced by two people. For example, Mr. Legrand's Vegetto sounds a lot better to my ears than some other versions that I've heard voiced by two people.

Though, for me, it's most of the time all about the acting at the end of the day. You could have any voice in the world. But, if it isn't well acted, I'm not gonna like it.