"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:26 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:So, two episodes on Toonami from Kid Buu being introduced.
I can't believe we're in the final stretch for Kai!
My only question is how are episodes 165 & 166 going to be handled?
Maybe they won't air Super the last week and instead have an hour long, 3 episodes Kai special. 165 is filler so if not that they may just skip it and air the last 2 alone.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1910
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 am

I finally got around to watching The Final Chapters in one big binge. Overall I enjoyed it but it did feel sluggish by Kai standards due to the amount of filler left in. The dub was mostly really well done and the Sumitomo score was decent enough for the most part, although I found myself missing the Faulconer score in certain scenes.

The scene where Goku meets Goten had unfitting music and was handled much better by both the Faulconer team and Kikuchi. But there were some scenes that worked really well with Sumitomo like Vegeta's "You are Number 1" speech. And the song "Let it burn" is one of the best insert songs ever and makes me wish it was in the Fighterz music DLC pack.

And I can honestly say that I never really noticed the green tint that people talk about.

A couple of things that did bother me where pieces of dialogue lie Chi Chi saying "If Goten is buried under this rubble I'm going to give Vegeta a serious talking to" in the aftermath of the stadium incident, while in the Z dub she sounded legitimately concerned for her son. And another piece of dialogue from Chi Chi on the lookout where someone suggests finding Tien and Chiaotzu and she says "Never mind them!", which is pretty uncalled for. And Vegeta saying "Today I will be the hero" before fighting Fat Buu. It doesn't sound like something he'd say, especially right after killing all them people. I can see Vegeta wanting the glory of victory, but actually using the word hero is a bit much for him at that point in the story. And there was another weird line about only being able to use Potara once in a lifetime, although maybe Old Kai meant that an already Fused person can't fuse again.

User avatar
Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1613
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:43 pm

90sDBZ wrote:And I can honestly say that I never really noticed the green tint that people talk about.
It may be because I watched this dub on a 32" but I also never found the green tint to be bothersome. To be honest it was only really noticeable for me when I was actively looking for it, when I just watched for pleasure I wasn't noticing it, even then it was perfectly watchable. It would have been nice if we got another Q-TEC remaster but TOEI's job, while not the best wasn't horrible.
Trying to pitch Rock The Dragon to Manga UK

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It may be because I watched this dub on a 32" but I also never found the green tint to be bothersome. To be honest it was only really noticeable for me when I was actively looking for it, when I just watched for pleasure I wasn't noticing it, even then it was perfectly watchable. It would have been nice if we got another Q-TEC remaster but TOEI's job, while not the best wasn't horrible.
Well, Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo Hen was just an afterthought and intended for the international market first and foremost so obviously they didn't put nowhere near as much care as they would with a normal Japanese product.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Seems Madman has announced a Complete Collection release for Australia coming out in June.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ies-bluray
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Xell
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:21 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Xell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:59 am

I finally watched The Final Chapters all the way through and I can safely say this is a far more definitive way of watching the entire Buu saga. There are moments where it drags - SSJ3 Goku vs. Fat Buu didn't wow me as much as I remember. I began to get burnt out with the Gotenks vs. Buu fight with the continuous back and forth of their battle.. Vegetto vs. Buu always felt tedious and still feels tedious. That being said, I feel like we were given a better idea as to what Toriyama was going for.

For example, Mr. Satan had such wonderful character development which alone makes this part of the show worthwhile. He goes from being the bumbling idiot of the Cell - Tournament saga to a true hero, reasoning with Buu and using words alone in an attempt to save the planet. He shows Buu the beauty of humanity with an injured puppy and even has a chance to shine by taking down those two gunmen who wanted to assassinate Buu.

I found myself chuckling at that one point where Buu and the pup were licking each other's faces and this is juxtapositioned with the fact that Satan is staring from a distance with his hand on a detonation device hoping to blow Buu to smithereens. His common sense takes hold and he decides against it. These are the moments I love in this show as we see more compassion compared to the fight hungry elements of the show.

And that's what I felt Toriyama was trying to do.. Whilst things were seeming futile with the fighters prepping fusion and needing time, Satan tried to approach things in a more peaceful way which was a nice change of pace.. Hell it nearly worked.

The thing is, it really threw the point home that Satan is aware of the fact he's delusional. He's lying to himself constantly throughout the entire time we see him in the show and lives a life of misery when things get chaotic. Can you imagine having everyone looking to you when you're a phoney? But having some kind of figure like that around is what the world of DB needs. It's almost like he keeps order by giving people hope and someone to look up to. In his own right he is a figurehead for justice and what people aspire to be because he succeeds in beating the bad guys (on the outside).

Some other moments - Buu escaping the Room of Spirit and Time by screaming, with Piccolo and Gotenks soon after. Is Toriyama making fun of his own work? Heroes who scream a lot in fights.

The theme of Gohan AKA. the next generation being the defender of the planet which was explored by the end of the Cell saga seemed to be explored again here. We see this happen with Goten and Trunks who are too immature to take on the responsibility.

Gohan flies down with his father's gi and we explore it once more with him. We're given some nice throwback shots in the meantime hearkening to when Goku arrived back on earth to take on Vegeta and Nappa when Gohan comes in to fight Buu. There's a moment where Gohan and Buu are having a stare down which was reminiscent of that one shot of Goku vs. Freeza. There's a moment (an odd one at that..) where Gohan takes on his father's iconic battle pose and Buu takes on the.. Vegeta pose?
Basically, I'm sure Toriyama really wanted to move the focus from Goku being the hero of Earth to the remaining powerhouses of the planet. In the end Goku and Vegeta had to finish Buu off (with the help of my guy Satan, such a badass..). He eventually came through with the idea by bringing Uub in.
It's kind of interesting.. I'd heard that readers didn't want the hero focus to shift from Goku? Did this effect the story? I'm not sure if this has been clarified yet? Is it a rumour? Because all signs point to that scenario. Goku even says stuff about the people of earth fighting their battles.

I'm rambling at this point, but I'd just like to say it's been a great ride. Final Chapters drags at points (as people have mentioned Toei kept a lot of filler in), but I'd sure as hell go back to it sooner than the original Z which is chock filled with filler galore. I now need to watch the original Kai <3 It's been nice coming back to this series in a different version.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:So, two episodes on Toonami from Kid Buu being introduced.
I can't believe we're in the final stretch for Kai!
My only question is how are episodes 165 & 166 going to be handled?
Maybe they won't air Super the last week and instead have an hour long, 3 episodes Kai special. 165 is filler so if not that they may just skip it and air the last 2 alone.
Toonami doesn't skip episodes

They even aired an episode of outlaw star a few weeks back that before then had never been allowed on an American network
The only time they considered it was the Jarjar-heavy episodes of Clone Wars but they didn't make it far enough to

I'm curious as to the confusion on how they'll handle these episodes though?

Why would they do anything but air them one a week like the rest of the series?

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Ah, my bad, I misread
Thought you said they might skip an episode of Kai

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by SX10 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:15 am

You know this whole green tint thing has probably been talked to death, but am I right in saying that the Buu saga used a slightly different colour pallette from the previous sagas? I think I remember someone, somewhere, saying that it was always partial to green.

It doesn't look like a big mistake, it seems deliberate. A little haphazard, but deliberate.

Sometimes it appears a bit more cinematic in tone, honestly. But what I really like is how well they handled framing when changing aspect ratio. Like nothing important is missing and it adds to that cinematic feel. Would have loved a Q-TEC remaster though, with full frame.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 am

SX10 wrote:You know this whole green tint thing has probably been talked to death, but am I right in saying that the Buu saga used a slightly different colour pallette from the previous sagas? I think I remember someone, somewhere, saying that it was always partial to green.

It doesn't look like a big mistake, it seems deliberate. A little haphazard, but deliberate.

Sometimes it appears a bit more cinematic in tone, honestly. But what I really like is how well they handled framing when changing aspect ratio. Like nothing important is missing and it adds to that cinematic feel. Would have loved a Q-TEC remaster though, with full frame.
Tbh the Buu Kai remaster isn't that bad, in my opinion the redrawn scenes in Kai 1.0 ruins the remaster for that more than the green tint does for Buu Kai. Re-drawn scenes just totally ruin the Namek-Freeza arc, my favourite arc, because there are so much of them, I'd take weird tints over that anyday and it is a shame that once they decided to stop re-drawing scenes Toei didn't get Q-Tec back but decided to do it in-house.

It truly amazes me how on paper a simple thing like remastering and cutting Z could have turned out so messy!

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by SX10 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:You know this whole green tint thing has probably been talked to death, but am I right in saying that the Buu saga used a slightly different colour pallette from the previous sagas? I think I remember someone, somewhere, saying that it was always partial to green.

It doesn't look like a big mistake, it seems deliberate. A little haphazard, but deliberate.

Sometimes it appears a bit more cinematic in tone, honestly. But what I really like is how well they handled framing when changing aspect ratio. Like nothing important is missing and it adds to that cinematic feel. Would have loved a Q-TEC remaster though, with full frame.
Tbh the Buu Kai remaster isn't that bad, in my opinion the redrawn scenes in Kai 1.0 ruins the remaster for that more than the green tint does for Buu Kai. Re-drawn scenes just totally ruin the Namek-Freeza arc, my favourite arc, because there are so much of them, I'd take weird tints over that anyday and it is a shame that once they decided to stop re-drawing scenes Toei didn't get Q-Tec back but decided to do it in-house.

It truly amazes me how on paper a simple thing like remastering and cutting Z could have turned out so messy!

Yeah messy is the word! A shame there wasn't tighter quality control. That said, I still really enjoy the picture quality on the actual remastered footage.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Okay so this scene (the hell scene in the broadcast on right now) bugs the absolute hell out of me in the dub
Not because of the inconsistency with the demons recognizing Goku, but because of Cell

I 100% understand them not getting Dameon Clarke back for a single line, but Wasn't Daman Mills working for Funimation by then?

Idk if anyone else remembers him from youtube before he got into professional acting, but the dude did such a spot on Perfect Cell impression that I could barely tell the difference

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:18 pm

And I know Sabat knew about it because Mills had mentioned at one point performing the voice for him at a Con and Sabat being legitimately impressed by it

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:40 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Okay so this scene (the hell scene in the broadcast on right now) bugs the absolute hell out of me in the dub
Not because of the inconsistency with the demons recognizing Goku, but because of Cell

I 100% understand them not getting Dameon Clarke back for a single line, but Wasn't Daman Mills working for Funimation by then?

Idk if anyone else remembers him from youtube before he got into professional acting, but the dude did such a spot on Perfect Cell impression that I could barely tell the difference
I don't think he was. His first dubbing role for FUNi wasn't until 2016. The dub for this series started in 2014 & lasted until the end of 2015 as they got the episodes. In any case, I would've figured they'd get Travis Willingham first, since he did a voice match for Dameon in some of the games for a bit years ago & was recording his lines as Ace in One Piece at the same time.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag.
Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter over a misunderstanding for which he acted on impulse, so I've got THAT going for me, I guess.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 am

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:Okay so this scene (the hell scene in the broadcast on right now) bugs the absolute hell out of me in the dub
Not because of the inconsistency with the demons recognizing Goku, but because of Cell

I 100% understand them not getting Dameon Clarke back for a single line, but Wasn't Daman Mills working for Funimation by then?

Idk if anyone else remembers him from youtube before he got into professional acting, but the dude did such a spot on Perfect Cell impression that I could barely tell the difference
I don't think he was. His first dubbing role for FUNi wasn't until 2016. The dub for this series started in 2014 & lasted until the end of 2015 as they got the episodes. In any case, I would've figured they'd get Travis Willingham first, since he did a voice match for Dameon in some of the games for a bit years ago & was recording his lines as Ace in One Piece at the same time.
My timeline must be all screwed up then because I swear I remember him mentioning being hired professionally (and as a result all of his fandubs getting set to private) before we'd even heard anything official about Final Chapters beyond the one voice actor's blog post

Here's hoping they at least use him down the road then, if Clarke ever decides not to return for games again

User avatar
EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 am

The Final Chapters are gonna be ending on June 23, 2018 on Toonami. Wonder what's gonna replace it

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:The Final Chapters are gonna be ending on June 23, 2018 on Toonami. Wonder what's gonna replace it
Might be My Hero Academia, or they just might keep Kai going for another few years or so & keep it as a staple series on the channel.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag.
Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter over a misunderstanding for which he acted on impulse, so I've got THAT going for me, I guess.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3517
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:58 am

My Hero Academia is premiering before then, on May 5.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:12 am

Scsigs wrote:Might be My Hero Academia, or they just might keep Kai going for another few years or so & keep it as a staple series on the channel.
What about Boruto ? if they're willing to air 2 DB shows then they might also do 2 Naruto shows.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 am

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Might be My Hero Academia, or they just might keep Kai going for another few years or so & keep it as a staple series on the channel.
What about Boruto ? if they're willing to air 2 DB shows then they might also do 2 Naruto shows.
I just checked Toonami's schedule, the next episode for Shippuden is episode 200. I think a more appropriate time will be once the Fourth Ninja War arc begins in 62 episodes from now.
They should just free up a slot and shuffle the schedule for an hour of Shippuden just get through the show because we have not even hit episodes that have not aired yet!
Nevertheless, I think when Kai ends MHA will take its slot.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Post Reply