Boo Arc Box 2 Released - Discussion & Screenshots

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dropper

Re: Boo Arc Box 2 Released - Discussion & Screenshots

Post by dropper » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:26 pm

What extras were included with the second box? Here are some scans from the booklet included with the first box, I can't read Japanese but there might be some new production info:

https://imgur.com/a/6vhJl#0

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:35 pm

dropper wrote:What extras were included with the second box? Here are some scans from the booklet included with the first box, I can't read Japanese but there might be some new production info:

That's nice to have. I wish it was higher res.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 am

dropper wrote:What extras were included with the second box? Here are some scans from the booklet included with the first box, I can't read Japanese but there might be some new production info:

So is there any chance they still have the 4x3 AR of Kai 2.0 laying around or they're completely gone? After seeing that scan I'd wish they still do.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Well, this Kai remaster seems to be pretty high quality compared to what's usually done, all things considered.

Check out how a widescreen-edited, color-corrected, CGI-redone, HD-fied TV show is usually more problematic:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/buffy-th ... 2824407343

"Buffy Kai" has likely much more money and efforts put into it, yet brings more problems.
Considering how Dragon Ball Kai probably puts minimal money and efforts AND brings minimal problems, one might consider it a good remaster with good artistic decisions.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

I'm inclined to agree with you Cold Skin, not to mention the Saint Seiya "HD Remaster", which is a complete disaster. :wtf:
As Dragon Ball fans, we're maybe more harsh and demanding...compared to several remasters, Kai isn't bad at all, it's just that it has some flaws that are unforgivable, due to a lack of professionalism more than a lack of budget (colors, music placement & choice).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 am

Saint Seiya's HD remaster, IMO, looks pretty decent and reminds me of Kai 1.0 as such is such it was done by Q-TEC.
I'd totally purchase this if a UK/Australian company bought the licence and released this subbed on Blu-ray. New Video Group can go eat shit for what they've put Saint Seiya through.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 am

That Saint Seiya BD is an upscale, Kai wasn't. Anyway, what DID NVG do to Saint Seiya that was so bad?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:32 am

Puto wrote:That Saint Seiya BD is an upscale, Kai wasn't. Anyway, what DID NVG do to Saint Seiya that was so bad?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Puto wrote:That Saint Seiya BD is an upscale, Kai wasn't. Anyway, what DID NVG do to Saint Seiya that was so bad?
Well. That sure is one terribly formatted subtitle that really should have been split. Are there any other issues though? Because while I can easily see how having four-liners in the subtitles would get annoying very quickly, I don't quite see how this is deserving of such harsh words...

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Well. That sure is one terribly formatted subtitle that really should have been split. Are there any other issues though? Because while I can easily see how having four-liners in the subtitles would get annoying very quickly, I don't quite see how this is deserving of such harsh words...
I don't have the DVDs, but I have heard people complaining about grammatical errors, typos, and timing being off. Apparently the streams fixed some of the problems, which... is kinda unfair, to say the least.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am

The NEPs were half-assed too, in the sense that they didn't sub them all.

Please NVG stay away from Saint Seiya. :|
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:11 pm

I would rather have raw unsubtitled previews than no previews at all (see: FUNi DB/Z/GT season sets).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:00 pm

The bricks (+ Season Blu-rays) are a special case as they were targeted towards the American audience whom never experienced much of NEPs and would just skip to the next episode or do a marathon without even watching the OP/ED at all.

I can't name any other anime series that were released without their NEPs as all the ones I've bought had them intact.

FUNimation needs to do a proper DB/Z/GT release for the public that includes NEPs just like all the other anime series out there that have it (or most, when available).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Question, are credit-less opening & endings included in the extras of this or the previous box? If yes, are they uploaded on YouTube?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.