DragonBall Z Kai - Arabic dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Kai - Arabic dub

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Theophrastus wrote:I can't pinpoint what it is but something about Goku in that image looks...off.
Stop beating around the bush. It's his humongous hands.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:05 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:
Huh, they're... using the preview music from Scan2Go at the very end... Which was produced by AniTunes, so...

Hm...
That bit at the start of the trailer with the falling brick debris in front of Goku's face is a different sound effect. I wonder....

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:38 pm

First episodes aired, and no it is not based off the Ocean dub.

(link removed by administrator)

Also, it's being dubbed again by Venus. Check out bulma's new pants towards the end of the episode...
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bananape » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 am

TheRed259 wrote:It seems that this is the ending theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw2K64zx-rg
Wow, those are some slow credits. You would never see an ending segment for a television show this long on any US channel.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 am

wjbraden wrote:First episodes aired, and no it is not based off the Ocean dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5RqGOjKLs
If they kept the blood on Bardock's face then chances are they won't be flashing the screen anytime someone gets hit like the American TV version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am

The censorship is really weird: they seem to censor by using freeze frames rather than cut scenes.
They censored the shot of Grandpa Gohan (I suppose they did it so Goku's genitals weren't shown), used a freeze-frame of Goku (Gogo) to cover his wedding with Chichi, added digital pants to Bulma, froze frame again for the breast-grabbing scene (but it was kept in some fashion) but left Roshi's beer intact, leaving me puzzled. There also seemed to be a frozen frame when Goku and the others are talking in the doorstep, but I don't really remember how it originally went.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:15 pm

A couple quick questions:

1) Did they keep the same cast as the Arabic DBZ dub?
2) Generally speaking, how faithful was the script?
3) Does it appear as though Kai will be dubbed more faithfully than DBZ?

Also, I couldn't help but notice that their closing theme for Kai is literally the exact same song as their opening theme for DBZ.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 am

wjbraden wrote:First episodes aired, and no it is not based off the Ocean dub.

(link removed by administrator)

Also, it's being dubbed again by Venus. Check out bulma's new pants towards the end of the episode...
What? New pants? This I need to see xD

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:16 pm

I want to know, how did Kai fare in censorship past the first episodes? I hope kids in Arabic countries gor a decent version this time around.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I hope kids in Arabic countries got a decent version this time around.
I saw a few scenes on Youtube and it's pretty much the same as Z in terms of censorship.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mohsinm87

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Arabic dub

Post by mohsinm87 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

Hi

I am learning arabic at the moment and thought it would be a good idea to watxh arabic cartoons. Is there anywhere I can watch dragon ball z kai dubbed in arabic which also has arabic subs?

Thanks,

Mohsin

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am

Yay! I love Arabic.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Just curious, what was God changed to on the Arab dub? Guardian? Light of Hope? Protector? Almighty? Supreme Leader?

It's these little differences that make foreign dubs really interesting though some hate it, I know I never got used to Mr. Satan being called "Hercule" but that was eventually fixed (not entirely, though).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:21 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Just curious, what was God changed to on the Arab dub? Guardian? Light of Hope? Protector? Almighty? Supreme Leader?

It's these little differences that make foreign dubs really interesting...
Well, I don't know what term they used in lieu of "Kami." Having said that, I'd have to believe they didn't use "God," based on their previous track record. One of the more notable edits in the Arabic DBZ dub regards the Oozarus. Apparently, in a lot of Arabic countries, Darwin's theory of evolution is heavily frowned upon, with some considering it sacreligious. So, the idea of somebody with a human-like appearance changing into an ape scared the Arabic distribution company. As such, they edited it so that instead of saiyans "changing" into an Oozaru, they "summon" Oozarus instead. I can't find the video, but they accomplished this censorship by doing two things:

1) They changed the dialogue to say that saiyans can summon them.
2) They took the last few seconds of animation before the saiyans in question started showing visible signs of transformation, cut immediately to when the Oozaru was in its complete form, and then kept intercutting with those last few seconds of pre-Oozaru transformation footage to make it look like the saiyans were mentally controlling the Oozarus (inadvertently, in the case of little Gohan).

So, if they're that conservative, chances are they didn't keep "God" as the character's name.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm

In fairness, I don't think the dub of the original Dragon Ball finished either...not that I understand why that is.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.