Dragon Ball Z Kai To Reair at 8 PM on Saturdays

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Z Kai To Reair at 8 PM on Saturdays

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/5 ... 5355869185

Keep in mind DBZKai's 8PM Encore is on Adult Swim. Not on Toonami. I REALLY hope this leads to good things, whatever they may be.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai To Reair at 8 PM on Saturdays

Post by Mewzard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:16 pm

It might grab the attentions of fans less aware of it towards Toonami...and if nothing else, give them extra ratings for an episode they already paid for.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:21 pm

My guess is that CN saw the ratings that Kai did as the lead in for Toonami, which have been really good, and are now looking to expand the audience by compensating for those who aren't willing to stay up until midnight to watch Kai and air it at 8PM.

It's definitely a good idea in theory, but I think the results will be mixed in practice. But I could be dead wrong as well, I mean Kai was a huge on Nicktoons, and most kids don't to bed until 9PM on average, and with the bonus of it being uncut, I could see Kai on Adult Swim outperforming, in term of ratings, what Kai produces on Toonami by a wide margin.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:55 am

I really hope it does so well that they consider moving Toonami back to 8pm I think an 8pm-12am block would be so much more beneficial for a lot of Anime fans in the USA plus the ratings have already shown that they can do their terrible comedy block routine late at night and still get ratings!! I will be watching this saturday and every saturday night at 8pm that I am not working!!!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:56 am

At least I don't have to change the channel when Sit Down Shut Up is on. Fox sure loves to dump their canceled shows on Adult Swim.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Hopefully this is a good thing for the show.

It was doing iffy in terms of ratings at first, but the past few weeks has been performing really well.

Here are the ratings so far:
  • November 8: 912,000
    November 22: 1,278,000
    November 29: 927,000
    January 3: 940,000
    January 10: 723,000
    January 17: 850,000
    January 24: 1,321,000
    January 31: 1,531,000
    February 7: 1,339,000
    February 14: 1,258,000
So hopefully this is nothing but good for the show. If anything, it'll give it more exposure, leading to better ratings.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 pm

I hope people won't change the channel or turn off the TV if it's not Sit Down, Shut Up. Sit Down, Shut Up is a show that got canceled five years ago and no one wanted it back on TV. The show has terrible animation that would make Johnny Test look like it was animated by Studio Ghibli and unlikeable characters. I rather watch Squidbillies then that terrible show.
She/Her

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope people won't change the channel or turn off the TV if it's not Sit Down, Shut Up. Sit Down, Shut Up is a show that got canceled five years ago and no one wanted it back on TV. The show has terrible animation that would make Johnny Test look like it was animated by Studio Ghibli and unlikeable characters. I rather watch Squidbillies then that terrible show.
Surprisingly I've seen some people tweet that they didn't even know DBZKai was on [adult swim]. So if anything this is a GOOD thing. Lots of people will more than likely tune in for nostalgia, and keep the TV on.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: most kids don't to bed until 9PM on average
I think most kids would go either change the channel to Nick, Disney or The Hub once Adult Swim is on or turns off the TV to play some video games until the go to bed. Most parents are not going to let their kids watch Adult Swim. I used to baby sit two kids in 2007-2008 and their parents told me to turn off the TV by 8:30. Not to mention Rick & Morty is on 8:30 and that show is not very family friendly. King of the Hill is more tamer then most shows on AS but it's not a safe show for younger kids to watch.
She/Her

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope people won't change the channel or turn off the TV if it's not Sit Down, Shut Up. Sit Down, Shut Up is a show that got canceled five years ago and no one wanted it back on TV. The show has terrible animation that would make Johnny Test look like it was animated by Studio Ghibli and unlikeable characters. I rather watch Squidbillies then that terrible show.
You got your wish. Its ratings were THE lowest of the Pre-Toonami lineup. No one will miss it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm

So uh, I just caught the episode of this that was on just now as there wasn't much else on TV, and it's been a while since I was up to date with the series on Toonami or here. Interestingly enough, they played the Schemmel version of 'Dragon Soul' (so I guess they'll likely cycle through all of the DVD versions?) rather than the broadcast Vic Mignogna one, but when it got to 'Yeah! Break! Care Break!', it played the original Japanese version. Has it been doing that normally?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:49 am

Yeah, they've been playing the Japanese one since episode 1, I believe. I remember folks noting that the ending was cropped back then, and... it hasn't been uncropped since.