Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:18 am

bleed0range wrote:What causes this green tint anyway? Is it that they're using the original film stock and it's degraded over time to appear "green" and they haven't attempted any actual remastering of the footage? I know literally nothing about this whole process, I'm just interested to learn some things about it. The only reason I bring this up, is thinking back to when they remastered Star Wars, they showed the original footage which looked all green or some other odd color and they managed to get it to look absolutely great. Is it just the stock footage as is without any attempt to fix it up? If so, would that mean they're not taking care of the original masters?
It's definitely not the film, since every episode has nearly identical colors, and the Dragon Box's colors tended to vary pretty greatly on certain episodes.

It's most definitely an improperly calibrated monitor (probably overly tinted red), so everything was color corrected to a green tint. It's extremely easy to fix by lowering the green in the RGB levels.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 am

If only Kai were corrected like their first outing:
Regarding the cause, it's kinda hard to know. Metalwario64 is probably correct, though I have a little extra to add.

Here's the Dragon Box:
Too red, right? So what happens when you throw some green at it?
Skin is looking a bit better, but... Oh, what's this?! I've tinted the entire image! The horror.

A lot of this film degradation isn't 100% fixable through simple colour balance alterations. You have to be adjusting individual colour channels to achieve great looking results.

We all know Kai 2.0 was made on the cheap, so it's probably not too unreasonable to suspect that, whoever was in charge of the remaster, simply tried to fix it as quickly as possible - in this case, with simple balance changes.

If their monitor had a red shift to it, they probably weren't aware that they were shifting too far into the greens. It likely looked like the minor colour adjustments people have been doing to remove the tint. It wouldn't look amazing, but it would be a fair bit different from what we've gotten in the final product.

But who knows? Maybe they were bad at their job. They also oversharpened the image, resulting in horrific haloing that I'm surprised any professional would allow through. The framing is also very inconsistent, with the sides of the image revealing the edge of the film:
Boo Kai is a mystery in almost every way. It's just a horrible mess of a product.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 06, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks for those screenies, Jay. I'll have to admit that the redness of the Dragon Box Z never bothered me in the slightest but it felt like its natural colour as to the human skin, although it is a little exaggerated.
Shame we'll never see the 4x3 AR of Kai 2.0. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:24 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:If only Kai were corrected like their first outing:
That's too reddish. Goku's dougi becomes more yellowish when he's SSJ.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm

kei17 wrote: That's too reddish. Goku's dougi becomes more yellowish when he's SSJ.
Haha! I figured it might be.

I even tweeted about it yesterday - https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/595726460528291843
Thanks for those screenies, Jay.
Ajay.
Right there in the screen name. :wink:
Last edited by Ajay on Thu May 07, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

I don't know if there's a topic for this, but I threw a quick hue change on Buu Kai. Any critiques? Too strong? Weak?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed May 06, 2015 4:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:They also oversharpened the image, resulting in horrific haloing that I'm surprised any professional would allow through.
Interestingly, somehow the International version does NOT have this oversharpening (though it's still green).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:47 am

TheAldella wrote:I don't know if there's a topic for this, but I threw a quick hue change on Buu Kai. Any critiques? Too strong? Weak?
I'd say too weak. Here's my take of the same image with some quick photoshop corrections. I haven't tried the level changes on the rest of the episode so it might not be completely accurate.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:10 pm

TheAldella wrote:I don't know if there's a topic for this, but I threw a quick hue change on Buu Kai. Any critiques? Too strong? Weak?
I... can only tell that you modified Goku's dougi color. The problem of the green tint lies within the RGB balance.

Here are two split screen examples I made where I corrected the right half.

Anyone who can't see the green tint ought to be able to with these. They were simple RGB tweaks I made in GIMP. All I did was increased the reds (mostly in the higher ends), and decreased the greens (mostly the middle and higher ends). I also increased the contrast a tad, since, going by that green tinted BOG trailer, the green tint also darkens the image a bit.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:21 am

geebs61 wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:These openings were originally developed in 4:3 or what ? :HOPE:
Looking back at the opening, I, too, noticed many of its scenes do have a generous amount of negative space on the sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7G3NwB4AWg
I went ahead and did a quick n' dirty 4:3 center-crop on the intro in your link. While I've had several glasses of champagne tonight, I am thoroughly confident in saying that the intro was at the very least developed with the idea that it could be cropped to 4:3 at some point in in the future.[/quote]
I'm sure that's not the case here. As we saw in Kai 1.0, when they take both 4:3 and 16:9 in account, they animate it in 4:3 and cropt it for a widescreen version. They've never done it the opposite way. The logo doesn't fit the screen if you side-crop it, too.

Jamull2013

Post by Jamull2013 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Did I do good?

Original:
Edited:

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Jamull2013 wrote:Did I do good?

Original:
Edited:
Definitely better than the original. I'd say still too much green in the picture though.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:29 pm

^
^
^
^
^

This 3rd picture is the same as the 2nd?

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Bagginses wrote:^
^
^
^
^

This 3rd picture is the same as the 2nd?
Nope third ones a bit brighter check the blue in the sky and vegito's clothing
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 am

After looking at Buu Kai screenshots, I can safely say the the colors on the Buu Saga Season Sets (Orange Bricks 7-9) are better overall imho.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Despite the green tint, I do like how the footage has better dark details like Q-TEC's Kai:

Dragon Box:

Kai:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:After looking at Buu Kai screenshots, I can safely say the the colors on the Buu Saga Season Sets (Orange Bricks 7-9) are better overall imho.
Although to be fair, Seasons 7-9 look decent in both versions of the Season Sets, mostly because the footage is newer.

Still, Toei could have done better.
Retired.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:04 am

Too be honest, to me it looks less like a green tint and more like the colors are just subdued. Of course I know a green filter is what's causing it, but I guess my eyes just aren't seeing the actual green.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:01 am

Muffin Man wrote:Too be honest, to me it looks less like a green tint and more like the colors are just subdued. Of course I know a green filter is what's causing it, but I guess my eyes just aren't seeing the actual green.
It's hard for me to describe, but it's probably your brain interpreting the colors that way because of how it knows they should be, since the whole image is affected evenly with the tint. It stands out way more when you compare it to a correction side by side.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:Too be honest, to me it looks less like a green tint and more like the colors are just subdued. Of course I know a green filter is what's causing it, but I guess my eyes just aren't seeing the actual green.
It's hard for me to describe, but it's probably your brain interpreting the colors that way because of how it knows they should be, since the whole image is affected evenly with the tint. It stands out way more when you compare it to a correction side by side.
It really doesn't look green unless you're looking at a comparison screenshot. I think that specific tint was created to suppress the color vibrance, otherwise, it would probably look like Funimation's DBZ Blu-Rays.
Retired.