Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 am
Location: France/Japan/Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:48 am

I'd be curious, veeeeeeeeeeery curious, to see FUNi's reaction, when they received Buu Saga Kai masters.Sure, FUNimation isn't the most competent company in the world, we all know what they did in the past, but they're professionals after all, so they surely noticed all those problems.

Honestly, when you start watching the first (international) episode, the only possible, reasonable reaction is : HOLY MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IS THAT PILE OF S*** OH NO NO DAMN YOU ALL?!!! :lol:
(Ok, ok, this is just my opinion ^^).

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:51 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:The sharpness filter is from the RAW provider rather than something that was done for the Japanese broadcast, from what I understand, at least.
No, Toei did it. You can see the filter in the original raw and the Blu-ray release, too.
ShinGaijin wrote:
Kendamu wrote:It's also cropped slightly differently between the two versions. I wonder why that is.
Probably to avoid this kind of (very amateurish) errors dues to sloppy framing :
And they still missed a lot of such errors.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6061
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 pm

kei17 wrote:No, Toei did it. You can see the filter in the original raw and the Blu-ray release, too.
Ah, my mistake. SOFCJ-Raws' Fuji TV rips were always so terrible compared to Zero-Raws' NST ones. I made the assumption that it was just SOFCJ incompetence over anything else.

...A strange assumption to make considering I posted screenshots from the Blu-rays pointing out the halos from the filter. Woops. :oops:
Follow me on Twitter! // Super Animation Catalogue
[url=https://twitter.com/Yuyucow][b]kViN[/b][/url][i] on Tadayoshi Yamamuro[/i] wrote:
A fun drawing killed his family and now his life's goal is to oppress them all.

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:11 pm

kei17 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:The sharpness filter is from the RAW provider rather than something that was done for the Japanese broadcast, from what I understand, at least.
No, Toei did it. You can see the filter in the original raw and the Blu-ray release, too.
ShinGaijin wrote:
Kendamu wrote:It's also cropped slightly differently between the two versions. I wonder why that is.
Probably to avoid this kind of (very amateurish) errors dues to sloppy framing :
And they still missed a lot of such errors.
So, they haven't even fixed the cropping in the Fuji TV version?. *facepalm*.

As I've said before, I put up with the poor music placement, and the green tint, but something as stand out as the cropping, I just can't overlook that.
Please FUNi, sort the cropping out.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:21 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:As I've said before, I put up with the poor music placement, and the green tint, but something as stand out as the cropping, I just can't overlook that.
Please FUNi, sort the cropping out.
FUNimation is unfortunately in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation there. I think, post-orange bricks, they understand that the aspect ratio is something that fans actually pay attention to. However, they also see in a lot of their surveys that a lot of people like having their screen filled, and prefer 16:9 for that reason. So if they do release it in 4:3, they're pleasing us, but setting a precedent that they are, in fact, allowed to change the aspect ratio according to popular opinion, which could come back to bite us later if something is in 4:3 and enough people request it in 16:9. On the other hand, if they keep it as-is, they're honoring the product as it was originally given to them...but not fixing it when, in fact, this time around we as fans would be perfectly OK with them doing that.

I sympathize with them. There's no good answer to this dilemma.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
sintzu
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13460
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 pm

kei17 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:The sharpness filter is from the RAW provider rather than something that was done for the Japanese broadcast, from what I understand, at least.
No, Toei did it. You can see the filter in the original raw and the Blu-ray release, too.
ShinGaijin wrote:
Kendamu wrote:It's also cropped slightly differently between the two versions. I wonder why that is.
Probably to avoid this kind of (very amateurish) errors dues to sloppy framing :
And they still missed a lot of such errors.
Is it like this all the time or just a few seconds here and there ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 am
Location: France/Japan/Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 pm

sintzu wrote:Is it like this all the time or just a few seconds here and there ?
It happen sometimes, here and there.It's more noticeable on the international version, that's why, as the others said before, it would be appreciable that FUNi or Toei manage to fix this problem for the English dub.

Here's another fail :
EDIT : I've mux the international footage and the original Japanese audio, just to see if it's better : https://youtu.be/-kQqyE8vAN8

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
sintzu wrote:Is it like this all the time or just a few seconds here and there ?
It happen sometimes, here and there.It's more noticeable on the international version, that's why, as the others said before, it would be appreciable that FUNi or Toei manage to fix this problem for the English dub.

Here's another fail :
EDIT : I've mux the international footage and the original Japanese audio, just to see if it's better : https://youtu.be/-kQqyE8vAN8
Hmm, interesting. I've just been watching footage taken from France's "Game One" TV airings (and have watched all of the scenes featuring the cropping issues you've posted from the International version) and I can't see any of these problems present within that footage.
I don't know if it's because they aren't in HD (though I'm not sure how much of a difference that actually makes, if it's been cropped badly, then it's been cropped badly, whatever definition it's in.

Have Toei France re-cropped the masters they've been given? I noticed the footage you took, was from the Korean masters. Very odd.

User avatar
TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:24 pm

That is very interesting DBZ_Lee since the Japanese version had some cropping issues fixed since it was produced later, maybe Toei France wanted to fully complete these cropping issues because they had more time before releasing the International Version, but I doubt it.
It would be very helpful for a screenshot comparison for this case!

I feel like the International Version is more blurry, while the Japanese version looks more crisp and clear and the gran is spread out more evenly. The Japanese Version has a little more of a green tint as seen from the Super Saiyan 3 Transformation. Best of Both Worlds! :D
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:08 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:That is very interesting DBZ_Lee since the Japanese version had some cropping issues fixed since it was produced later, maybe Toei France wanted to fully complete these cropping issues because they had more time before releasing the International Version, but I doubt it.
It would be very helpful for a screenshot comparison for this case!

I feel like the International Version is more blurry, while the Japanese version looks more crisp and clear and the gran is spread out more evenly. The Japanese Version has a little more of a green tint as seen from the Super Saiyan 3 Transformation. Best of Both Worlds! :D
Here are the scenes from ShinGaijin's Korean footage where the cropping errors on the right hand side are apparent:
And now for the French Game One TV airings:
There is a clear, and distinctive difference between the two, I'm betting Toei France have re-cropped it.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6872
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Kendamu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it looks like different country's licencors might be cropping it themselves. I'd like to hope that means that FUNimation has a choice in the matter of 4:3 vs 16:9. The lack of green tint in the French broadcast is also a potential very good sign. I'm just speculating, though. We don't know anything yet.

User avatar
sbk
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by sbk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:11 pm

A 4:3 version actually exists? :shock:
I thought the 4:3 version was ruled out ..

User avatar
sintzu
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13460
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:16 pm

sbk wrote:A 4:3 version actually exists? :shock:
I thought the 4:3 version was ruled out ..
No one official has said yes or no so we'll have to wait till Funi announces their version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6872
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:57 pm

sbk wrote:A 4:3 version actually exists? :shock:
I thought the 4:3 version was ruled out ..
Again, I don't want to jump to conclusions. I hope that a 4:3 version exists. There's evidence of that possibility, but there's no official word on it.

One more time: There's a slim possibility, but nothing has been officially stated.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5950
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
There is a clear, and distinctive difference between the two, I'm betting Toei France have re-cropped it.
That's a terrible comparison, because that shot is zooming in, and they were both taken at different points of the shot so that's why they don't match up.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6872
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, the posdibility was a slim one. The color differences are still really interesting, though. I wonder what's up with that.

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
There is a clear, and distinctive difference between the two, I'm betting Toei France have re-cropped it.
That's a terrible comparison, because that shot is zooming in, and they were both taken at different points of the shot so that's why they don't match up.
Apologies, Sir.

I took ShinGaijin's Korean footage so I could capture the screen grab through my media player, and also managed to obtain the French footage - also captured whilst running on my media player.

Here's the 1st Scene:

Korean: with the error:
French:
Here's the second scene:

Korean: with the error:
French:
I definitely managed to get the SS3 scene correct this time :thumbup:

It's odd that the "Tint" doesn't appear to be present on the French broadcast, but at least we will know, as next month - 20th May to be exact, their first Blu Ray will be released, so we at least will have clarification on the tint, and the cropping. Though this episode in question is the recap at the start of 134, so it'll be on the next set, which doesn't have a release date, my guessing will be around July, when the Series will finish airing.

Interesting... the publisher Kazé's official listing for the first Blu Ray set of "The Final Chapters" has the aspect ratio down at 4:3:

Link:
http://anime.kaze.fr/produit/box_3_4_dr ... l_z_kai_br

This is odd, as the listings they have up for the first 2 sets, covering the 98, are both 16:9. I'm assuming this is because they've re-released what the AB groupe originally produced for those episodes.

Link set 1:
http://anime.kaze.fr/produit/box_1_4_dr ... l_z_kai_br

Link Set 2:
http://anime.kaze.fr/produit/box_2_4_dr ... l_z_kai_br

What do you guys make of this?.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 am

Wait, I thought the green tint was there in every version. I looked up the SSJ3 transformation of Goku from the French broadcast and it looks exactly the same as the Japanese broadcast, minus the sharpness filter. And that cropping issue on right side is still there in some scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DrWB-eY_aQ

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:17 am

The green tint is lessned in these French shots because they're from a crappy reddish source captured with an analog device, which is shared on some French pirating websites.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Flame Dragon
Regular
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am
Location: Italy

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Green Tint

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:25 am

The only way this would be worth a purchase is if Funi would color correct the Green Tint, and fix the cropping.
The new dub is nice, but if the footage looks like vomit might as well watch original Z.

Post Reply