What are the odds of DB getting the Kai treatment?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

What are the odds of DB getting the Kai treatment?

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:28 pm

I haven't exactly been keeping abreast of the behind-the-scenes rumors at Toei. From what I've heard on the ever-unreliable grapevine, Kai was a flop in Japan and the only reason we're getting the Buu arc is because of pressure from international licensees (and the tradeoff is a shoddier final product). If that impression is off-base, I welcome correction.

Anyway, whatever the situation is and based on whatever information we have, what do you think the odds would be of getting the same treatment for DB (meaning episodes 1-153)? I realize some may not find that desirable considering the outcome of the current project, but I'm just asking out of curiosity, independent of whether or not it would be a good thing.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What are the odds of DB getting the Kai treatment?

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:34 pm

No.

That being said I pray to Kami that I'm wrong. But they wont. Too cheap. I want an entire manga cut soooo much.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:36 pm

We had a thread about this recently, and it isn't even that old.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=29128

For what it's worth, I will say the odds are slim to none, as much as I want it. Dragon Ball just isn't nearly as much of a money-maker as Dragon Ball Z and even Dragon Ball GT. This isn't only true in the US, this is the case even in Japan. However, the US certainly has this difference accentuated far more. There certainly wouldn't be any International demand for it, anyway. The only way I could see any interest in the first series being renewed is the recent re-introduction of the Pilaf Gang in the latest Z Movies. It's still a long shot, and there's no chance of a dub even if a DB Kai gets made.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:We had a thread about this recently, and it isn't even that old.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=29128
:oops:

Well, that's embarrassing. I tried to search for it, but it must have been lost in all the other "dragon ball kai" results.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Honestly, I think the only thing that Dragon Ball needs is an HD re-release. I don't care if they cut out filler as I've heard it doesn't have as much as Z does (at least it isn't just "powering up" for half an episode) but I do care about my viewing quality and unfortunately it's poor because they only have DVD releases. I think a more important thing they could do would be to do what they did with certain frames for Kai 1.0 and trace/re-color the series so it looks nicer. At the most they could reanimate all of it, but that will never happen (nor will my other suggestion). =/