MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Teclo wrote:I just decided to eventually get around to buying Kai on BD only to see that it's not even out in the UK yet. I thought it was some sort of error on Amazon or a reissue so I came here to check. Wow, what are they playing at? What's this Kai 2.0 that I've seen a few people mention, though? I've been out of the DB loop for a while now.
Kai 2.0 is what we call the Majin Buu Arc. Basically more cheaply produced than Kai 1.0 (Saiyan-Cell)
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu May 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Base.com has updated with the box art for Season 1.
Season 2 Artwork:
They also have the following information:

Certificate: 12 - Suitable for Persons Aged 12 or Over
Run Time: 625
Language: English & Japanese
Subtitles: English
Audio: Stereo 2.0, Optional 5.1
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (Letterbox)

They must have got the aspect ratio wrong though since it looks like these are just same as the Madman/Funimation releases.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 14, 2015 4:46 pm

That on the right, is it the slipcover or the DVD cover?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu May 14, 2015 5:17 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:That on the right, is it the slipcover or the DVD cover?
DVD cover. Doesn't look like there's going to be any slipcases with this release.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 pm

For the price that it costs it should, take Kill la Kill: Box 1 - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) is now on discount for £23.50 and the packaging is highly impressive for the fans of the show. I've yet to open mine.

I don't know why Manga UK has to be so cheap yet Anime LTD makes those £30-40 well worthwhile. I probably should stop comparing Manga UK to Anime LTD because they don't deserve it. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat May 16, 2015 12:43 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:For the price that it costs it should, take Kill la Kill: Box 1 - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) is now on discount for £23.50 and the packaging is highly impressive for the fans of the show. I've yet to open mine.

I don't know why Manga UK has to be so cheap yet Anime LTD makes those £30-40 well worthwhile. I probably should stop comparing Manga UK to Anime LTD because they don't deserve it. :|
Well, may import that, no way am I paying 60$ for 4 episodes. This isn't the Japanese market or the American market circa early 2000's.

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Thu May 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I've just noticed something that is relevant to the previous discussion about subtitling:
For Attack on Titan though, the subtitles would probably make sense... it's just that they're constantly saying the wrong thing. The problems range from minor nuance-differences to "Okay I'm hearing one thing here and the subtitles are saying something entirely different."
Vegard Aune, the particular example you gave in your post is exactly like that in the English dub. So I guess the problem in that particular release is that it actually contains dubtitles?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Saago wrote:I've just noticed something that is relevant to the previous discussion about subtitling:
For Attack on Titan though, the subtitles would probably make sense... it's just that they're constantly saying the wrong thing. The problems range from minor nuance-differences to "Okay I'm hearing one thing here and the subtitles are saying something entirely different."
Vegard Aune, the particular example you gave in your post is exactly like that in the English dub. So I guess the problem in that particular release is that it actually contains dubtitles?
*Checks the dub with subtitles on* Partial dubtitles in that case, as checking the first scene of episode 1, the subtitles did not match the dub script, and in fairness, at least there they weren't completely off the mark... Still two incorrect lines in the span of roughly 30 seconds though, namely...
Come to think of it though, I do remember seeing a review once pointing out how the subtitles sometimes went into just straight-out dubtitle territory, and that it was apparently those lines that were the most obviously incorrect.

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Fri May 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Partial dubtitles, huh? That's peculiar. Incidentally, I took another look at those GITS: Innocence subtitles out of curiosity and, while not good by any stretch of the imagination, they are not as egregious as I remembered. It's a weird case: you can find a whole section which is translated perfectly fine but then is followed by some inaccurate or blatantly non-sensical line, or something like that. They are not worthy of an official release, but I thought they were worse than they are.

Let's hope everything is correct with Kai.

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Wed May 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Actually, forget what I said in my previous post: those subtitles are garbage. There are whole scenes which are translated decently, but the amount of nonsense is completely unacceptable. Seriously, how on Earth can anyone translate "It's not like you to let someone hack your brain. Routine makes you vulnerable, that's why I told you to change the dog's food" as "I can't imagine your dog having an e-brain. It didn't fall into the trap because its life is stable". Or "That's why you never got a promotion" as "It's delayed our investigation". Or "Let's talk to the local forensics" as "Let's talk to the firm". Who are they hiring to do this? How can this crap be anything other than deliberate? It's beyond ridiculous.

More relevantly for the topic at hand, from what some reviewers have mentioned, it appears MangaUK are doing their own authoring for basically everything they publish nowadays (and that includes using their own subtitles). Apparently, they even created new subtitles for One Piece Movie 8, despite the fact that Funimation subtitled it years ago. I have also read a review which stated that their subtitles for Ghost in the Shell Arise are borderline unintelligible.

Not very good prospects for the Kai edition.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:00 pm

https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/201 ... -season-1/
http://www.myreviewer.com/Blu-ray/16968 ... ndar-Canth
Apparently Manga's Blu-ray of Season One uses FUNi's masters with the original kenji Yamamoto score on discs one and two (Part One) and the replacement Kikuchi score for discs three and four (Part Two), which is consistent with Madman's complete collection. Presumably that means the Season Two set will switch from Yamamoto to Kikuchi half way as well.
I suppose that makes the US sets the better option, as at least they're consistent, although the UK set might be handy as an alternative to FUNi's original Part One set.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 am

LostTimeLord wrote:https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/201 ... -season-1/
Apparently Manga's Blu-ray of Season One uses FUNi's masters with the original kenji Yamamoto score on discs one and two (Part One) and the replacement Kikuchi score for discs three and four (Part Two), which is consistent with Madman's complete collection. Presumably that means the Season Two set will switch from Yamamoto to Kikuchi half way as well.
I suppose that makes the US sets the better option, as at least they're consistent, although the UK set might be handy as an alternative to FUNi's original Part One set.
I was reading that first review the other day and was hoping we'd get Yamamoto for all of Season 1 and 2, but it looks like it's gonna be an inconsistent mess. :(

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:28 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:https://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/201 ... -season-1/
Yes! I am missing Part one and three so if this is the case I will be very happy :)

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:12 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... B01302GXF0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... B01302H28M
Season Three comes out November 9.
Cover art is the same art as the US seasons again:

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 pm

This is beyond ridiculous. A release of Kai with the Yamamoto score... in 2015? Not only that, but apparently it's half Yamamoto and half Kikuchi. Unbelievable. Whose fault is this, anyway? Although this is a MangaUK release, the reviews say these are Funimation-authored discs, so I'm not sure who messed up. And the funny thing is, if I had to bet on it, I'd say they will probably not correct this. Hope I'm wrong.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 am

So I've been watching mine since Monday, and I'm on Disc 3. Contrary to what that review said I can confirm that the Yamamoto score is still included on disc 3. I'll update once I get to disc 4.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:09 pm

90sDBZ wrote:So I've been watching mine since Monday, and I'm on Disc 3. Contrary to what that review said I can confirm that the Yamamoto score is still included on disc 3. I'll update once I get to disc 4.
I will be picking this up right away if thats the case!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Contrary to what that review said I can confirm that the Yamamoto score is still included on disc 3. I'll update once I get to disc 4.
Is that the DVD or the Blu-ray? If they accidentally used the wrong score, Manga might have inadvertently used different masters for the DVD and BD versions. If they consistently use Yamamoto I might end up getting both the Manga and FUNi seasons.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Contrary to what that review said I can confirm that the Yamamoto score is still included on disc 3. I'll update once I get to disc 4.
Is that the DVD or the Blu-ray? If they accidentally used the wrong score, Manga might have inadvertently used different masters for the DVD and BD versions. If they consistently use Yamamoto I might end up getting both the Manga and FUNi seasons.
It's the Blu-ray.

Update: Just quickly checked out disc 4 and can confirm it too has Yamamoto, which means the entirety of Season 1 has it on the Blu-ray at least. I gotta say it's awesome finally seeing Kai the way it was intended. It makes the experience a lot better.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:35 am

90sDBZ wrote:
LostTimeLord wrote:
It's the Blu-ray.

Update: Just quickly checked out disc 4 and can confirm it too has Yamamoto, which means the entirety of Season 1 has it on the Blu-ray at least. I gotta say it's awesome finally seeing Kai the way it was intended. It makes the experience a lot better.
Yes! I am totally gonna pick this up now, manga uk finally made a decent dbz release. I wonder if they will use the few yamamoto eps that were made for season 2.