MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

madged1
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:00 am

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by madged1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29 am

I've been keeping close attention to this particular thread the past few days since I was aware of the release of Season One here in the UK. I see that it has the Kenji Yamamoto score, and this is something which may extend into Season Two depending on how MangaUK/Funimation/whoever is involved produces this set.

I apologise if there are already a plethora of threads about this. It seems that a majority of users here prefer the original Kai (Yamamoto) score to that of the replacement (Z) score. What I was curious about was if this music was better than the Japanese Z score entirely, or just the small selection of tracks used in the later episodes of Kai? I suppose this is all down to opinion really. If I was to collect these UK season releases and watch Kai though then I would like to keep this in mind (and of course form my own opinion, although the idea of only using a few songs seems strange). IIRC the placement of the DBZ score was criticised by many, which could be a factor into why I have read praise for the Yamamoto score.

I also wanted to ask if you guys think that the price of Season One will increase considerably over time due to the use of the Yamamoto score? I would like to get it whilst it is at a good price. Currently it is sub £30 which I'm not sure what to make of it. I purchased the Orange Bricks for £20 - £30 each (varied by season) when it came out in 2012/2013, and I particularly liked the original Japanese music. The transition of scores in Kai would not put me off watching it, but I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts about the scores.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:13 am

It's not that Yamamoto is better, it's that the way they placed Kikuchi's music back in afterwards was incredibly poor. Moreover, Kai was created with the intention of being its own thing; using Yamamoto's music is a big part of that. Some of us feel that replacing it is just as objectionable as replacing Kikuchi with Faulconer in Z. Let each show be watched as intended.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DB1984
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by DB1984 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Better yet, I wonder if they'll release episodes 96-98 with the Yamamoto BGM, which were supposed to have it, but never did?

User avatar
Gdugz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Gdugz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:39 pm

DB1984 wrote:Better yet, I wonder if they'll release episodes 96-98 with the Yamamoto BGM, which were supposed to have it, but never did?
I wish, but I'd say they will stop using the yamamoto score where ever funnimation's US release did. I think they stopped at part 4 or 5?

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Gdugz wrote:
DB1984 wrote:Better yet, I wonder if they'll release episodes 96-98 with the Yamamoto BGM, which were supposed to have it, but never did?
I wish, but I'd say they will stop using the yamamoto score where ever funnimation's US release did. I think they stopped at part 4 or 5?
Part 4 is when they stopped using it
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
clutchins
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu
Contact:

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by clutchins » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Gdugz wrote:
DB1984 wrote:Better yet, I wonder if they'll release episodes 96-98 with the Yamamoto BGM, which were supposed to have it, but never did?
I wish, but I'd say they will stop using the yamamoto score where ever funnimation's US release did. I think they stopped at part 4 or 5?
Part 4 is the last one to feature it
FTFY
NC's resident Dragon Ball superfan

Episode Guides: [ DB | DBZ Uncut | DBZ Edited | DBGT | Movies/Specials | Kai ]
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
Original Thread Topic wrote:Did Dragon Ball ever motivate you to exercise?
No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

DB1984
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by DB1984 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:39 pm

After episode 52 aired, Nicktoons TV continued to use the Yamamoto BGM up to episode 63.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

madged1 wrote:I've been keeping close attention to this particular thread the past few days since I was aware of the release of Season One here in the UK. I see that it has the Kenji Yamamoto score, and this is something which may extend into Season Two depending on how MangaUK/Funimation/whoever is involved produces this set.

I apologise if there are already a plethora of threads about this. It seems that a majority of users here prefer the original Kai (Yamamoto) score to that of the replacement (Z) score. What I was curious about was if this music was better than the Japanese Z score entirely, or just the small selection of tracks used in the later episodes of Kai? I suppose this is all down to opinion really. If I was to collect these UK season releases and watch Kai though then I would like to keep this in mind (and of course form my own opinion, although the idea of only using a few songs seems strange). IIRC the placement of the DBZ score was criticised by many, which could be a factor into why I have read praise for the Yamamoto score.

I also wanted to ask if you guys think that the price of Season One will increase considerably over time due to the use of the Yamamoto score? I would like to get it whilst it is at a good price. Currently it is sub £30 which I'm not sure what to make of it. I purchased the Orange Bricks for £20 - £30 each (varied by season) when it came out in 2012/2013, and I particularly liked the original Japanese music. The transition of scores in Kai would not put me off watching it, but I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts about the scores.
Honestly, I prefer Yamamoto to Kikuchi all around, with the possible exception of pre-Z Kikuchi. I'm really hoping we get the entirety of Season 2 with Yamamoto too.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by coola » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:09 am

Actually, USA had Yamamoto score up to Part 4, if i remember correctly, it was Australian release that switched score at Part 4, due to its delay
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:01 am

coola wrote:Actually, USA had Yamamoto score up to Part 4, if i remember correctly, it was Australian release that switched score at Part 4, due to its delay
If that's the case, does anybody know if Manga are using Funi's masters or Madman's?

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
coola wrote:Actually, USA had Yamamoto score up to Part 4, if i remember correctly, it was Australian release that switched score at Part 4, due to its delay
If that's the case, does anybody know if Manga are using Funi's masters or Madman's?
I think it's either Madman or a new set supplied by TOEI. Becuase the FUNi menus are different, (assuming their season sets had same menu as parts). Also apparently MangaUK don't sub license Z products from FUNi they go direct to TOEI hence why no FUNimation logos are ever on their Dragonball releases and why BoG release had a different menu and different subtitles etc and why they were able to strip extras off the Blu-ray and shove them on DVD disc.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gdugz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Gdugz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
coola wrote:Actually, USA had Yamamoto score up to Part 4, if i remember correctly, it was Australian release that switched score at Part 4, due to its delay
If that's the case, does anybody know if Manga are using Funi's masters or Madman's?
I think it's either Madman or a new set supplied by TOEI. Becuase the FUNi menus are different, (assuming their season sets had same menu as parts). Also apparently MangaUK don't sub license Z products from FUNi they go direct to TOEI hence why no FUNimation logos are ever on their Dragonball releases and why BoG release had a different menu and different subtitles etc and why they were able to strip extras off the Blu-ray and shove them on DVD disc.
Woah if thats the case then theres a good chance we could get a full yamamoto release :o

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 pm

For up to Season 2 yeah that could be likely, but for Season 3 or 4 I doubt it since I don't think the uncut dub was ever mixed with the Yamamoto score.

User avatar
Gdugz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Gdugz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:For up to Season 2 yeah that could be likely, but for Season 3 or 4 I doubt it since I don't think the uncut dub was ever mixed with the Yamamoto score.
Oh yeah forgot that :lol:

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 pm

I just hope Manga or TOEI or whoever don't get wind of this, I was about to tweet Manga the other day thanking them for including the score but thought better not incase :lol:

User avatar
Gdugz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Gdugz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I just hope Manga or TOEI or whoever don't get wind of this, I was about to tweet Manga the other day thanking them for including the score but thought better not incase :lol:
Please dont bring it to their attention before I buy it :lol:

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
coola wrote:Actually, USA had Yamamoto score up to Part 4, if i remember correctly, it was Australian release that switched score at Part 4, due to its delay
If that's the case, does anybody know if Manga are using Funi's masters or Madman's?
I think it's either Madman or a new set supplied by TOEI. Becuase the FUNi menus are different, (assuming their season sets had same menu as parts). Also apparently MangaUK don't sub license Z products from FUNi they go direct to TOEI hence why no FUNimation logos are ever on their Dragonball releases and why BoG release had a different menu and different subtitles etc and why they were able to strip extras off the Blu-ray and shove them on DVD disc.
Actually Manga's release of the GT sets included both the Funimation logo and their own. I'm not sure about the DB and Z sets though.

User avatar
TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm
Contact:

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by TheWhiz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 pm

So I guess once Season 3 is released it will switch to the Kikuchi score? I hope Season 2 will still have the Yamamoto score intact. Guess we'll have to wait till September to find out.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:49 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I just hope Manga or TOEI or whoever don't get wind of this, I was about to tweet Manga the other day thanking them for including the score but thought better not incase :lol:
On that note, one of the Amazon reviews (and some professional ones) makes a big deal about the Yamamoto score being included, so the chances of Toei/Manga finding out are reasonably high.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: MangaUK Licenses Dragon Ball Z Kai for DVD & Blu-ray

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:13 am

90sDBZ wrote:Actually Manga's release of the GT sets included both the Funimation logo and their own. I'm not sure about the DB and Z sets though.
Are you sure? Just had a look on Amazon and couldn't find the FUNimation logo on the GT packaging unless you mean when the disc plays? (Which would make sense since I assume Toei gave Manga FUNi's masters). Been thinking more and it makes sense because as I recall Toei were the first to confirm that the original Dragon Ball and GT was being released here, right? Apparently something happened between Manga and FUNi's relationship and titles such as Fairy Tail got cancelled here and I was worried about what that meant for Dragon Ball but then I was told not to worry becuase Manga deal directly with TOEI/Fox and then things started to make sense.

Edit-

I believe it's the same for One Piece in that Manga go directly to TOEI becuase that explains how they were able to release the movies that FUNimation haven't released yet.

Post Reply