So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:37 am

ABED wrote:Wrong on both counts. I never said he was a good guy, he's simply far less world conqueringly evil than he used to be and it has nothing to do with being accustomed to Sabat's version of the character. I've always held this opinion. And Vegeta didn't plot to become Majin Vegeta because he's the ultimate evil, he's more conflicted than you seem to give him credit for. He thought it was what he wanted but as we quickly see, that's not the case.
That's true about his character being complex but I don't think his atonement near the end of the series justifies him sounding any less evil especially when he still displays a mean attitude after being revived.

Also I could argue that Vegeta's atonement and sacrifice are more impactful to a viewer because he sounds inherently villainous in the first place. If I'm fully invested in the character being evil at that point it's all the more surprising when he does something redeeming and heroic.

Also your comments imply that Drummond's Vegeta didn't change over time when it clearly did. Maybe it was still evil sounding to you compared to the princely Sabat Vegeta but there's a noticeable change from his early performance to make it sound less villainous during his calmer moments.
ABED wrote:
NitroEx wrote:more so when you factor in his small stature and the fact that short men with deep voices are the exception NOT the
They aren't rare either.
Sure, but in animation the casting directors go with commonly known archetypes for the voices so that it's universally understood. Unless it's something like a comedy where the aim is to throw people's expectations off I don't see any logical reason why Vegeta's voice should be very deep like it is in the Z redub. Granted the Kai version is better but I would still take Drummond's higher pitched voice over Sabat's as I feel it fits Vegeta's overall appearance better.
ABED wrote:
NitroEx wrote:(especially not those who've been force fed Sabat for over 10 years) but I feel the need to occasionally bring balance to these deluded arguments against Drummond's Vegeta.
Thanks for implying that I only like Vegeta because it's the voice I'm familiar with.
It might not be the only reason you like him (you might just prefer the texture of Sabat's voice) but you can't pretend that years of hearing the same voice in almost every English adaptation doesn't have an effect on you or others. I admittedly have my biases as well but I'm not going to act like Sabat's performance is perfect when I constantly hear flaws in it.
ABED wrote:
NitroEx wrote:It lacks in emotion though, something Drummond's Vegeta was never short of.
It doesn't lack emotion. There's no argument that Drummond is incredibly talented and has amazing screams (even better than Horikawa), but don't confuse screams with acting.
I understand that but screams are still a part of the performance and I merely pointed out why Drummond did a better job during that particular scream, he basically conveyed the right emotion to go with the picture. Even during the talking parts of that scene you can hear that Drummond sounds angrier than Sabat's take so to me that makes it more convincing. Some might say this is "over acting" but I think a theatrical performance is more appropriate for animation especially something as over the top as DBZ.
ABED wrote:
NitroEx wrote:Another one that comes to mind is this and this. Sabat's version here is virtually monotone in comparison.
I prefer Sabat in this particular scene, Vegeta is far more subdued in that moment than Drummond's take would have you believe.
I disagree, to me that scene clearly calls for grandeur not subtlety. If you want to get technical about he's just destroyed half a stadium, people are panicking and the dust is still settling indicated by the rubble flying around him. All this commotion is going to obscure his speech if he were to talk quietly so it makes perfect sense for him to raise his voice. In the previous moments there was silence around the group so talking at a normal level was appropriate, not here though.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17598
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

It might not be the only reason you like him (you might just prefer the texture of Sabat's voice) but you can't pretend that years of hearing the same voice in almost every English adaptation doesn't have an effect on you or others. I admittedly have my biases as well but I'm not going to act like Sabat's performance is perfect when I constantly hear flaws in it.
I never claimed it's perfect, and just hearing something for years doesn't mean I'm biased towards it. I've heard Linda Young for years, and I don't like that voice any more than I did when I first heard it 16 years ago. I like Sabat's Vegeta voice because he fits the character. I didn't at first. When I first heard it back in 99, I longed for the days of Drummond.
I disagree, to me that scene clearly calls for grandeur not subtlety. If you want to get technical about he's just destroyed half a stadium, people are panicking and the dust is still settling indicated by the rubble flying around him. All this commotion is going to obscure his speech if he were to talk quietly so it makes perfect sense for him to raise his voice. In the previous moments there was silence around the group so talking at a normal level was appropriate, not here though.
But none of that is affecting Vegeta, he's calm in the face of what he's done. The calm makes his explosion of anger stand out more.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Ree
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:52 am

thankfully Linda Young is done :)

Sabat's not "super deep," either. I had 3 friends back in college who had waaaay deeper voices than his Piccolo, which is, from what I understand, his "normal" voice. And these were 20-22 year-olds. It's not at all uncommon to have your voice more or less "settle" by your early twenties.

I know just as many people that have higher voices at at least that age
listen to moviebob, Shokio, Chris Stuckmann.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 am

ABED wrote: But none of that is affecting Vegeta, he's calm in the face of what he's done. The calm makes his explosion of anger stand out more.
You'd have a point if he was speaking only to himself but he's not, in that scene he's talking directly to Goku and he wants Goku to hear him amongst the panic and destruction. It's not like they're standing directly infront of eachother either, there's a distance shown between them so naturally raising his voice makes more sense from an in universe perspective.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17598
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:50 am

NitroEX wrote:
ABED wrote: But none of that is affecting Vegeta, he's calm in the face of what he's done. The calm makes his explosion of anger stand out more.
You'd have a point if he was speaking only to himself but he's not, in that scene he's talking directly to Goku and he wants Goku to hear him amongst the panic and destruction. It's not like they're standing directly infront of eachother either, there's a distance shown between them so naturally raising his voice makes more sense from an in universe perspective.
It's dramatic license.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply