So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 am

Ree wrote:https://instagram.com/p/yuG2GPqxiJ/ (great for Z Vegeta)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7T3QHKwCI8 (works well for GT Vegeta)
Both of those sound awful. Drummond sounds too sound raspy and the second one sounds too old, ironically, both things you said a a Prince of Saiyans should NOT sound like.

I'd take Sabat's Kai Vegeta over those two anyday.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 am

here's what I'm saying:
a Prince of Saiyans should NOT:
sound like some blowhard
sound too old
sound raspy
sound whiny

a Prince of Saiyans SHOULD:
sound like a prince
sound battle-hardened and evil
sound confident and cocky
their laugh should be condescending
And this is based off of what? Your list doesn't even make sense. You say he should sound cocky, but not like a blowhard. In Kai, Sabat's voice sounds far more natural and effortless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:54 am

His Piccolo could be heard through some of the unnatural grunting, but that was seldom by comparison though. I remember a number of times before I knew he voiced both characters where I'd wonder, "Why does he sound like Vegeta?"
The myriad of Simpsons characters are voiced by 5 actors, but that never bothered me. I can tell that Sabat voices Vegeta and Piccolo, but it's not the same voice.

As for his Jeice, sure, it's simply his voice but with a bad Australian accent, but you can still tell that it's the same actor.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 am

ABED wrote:
His Piccolo could be heard through some of the unnatural grunting, but that was seldom by comparison though. I remember a number of times before I knew he voiced both characters where I'd wonder, "Why does he sound like Vegeta?"
The myriad of Simpsons characters are voiced by 5 actors, but that never bothered me. I can tell that Sabat voices Vegeta and Piccolo, but it's not the same voice.
I didn't say it was the same voice? Maybe I should clarify, in my last sentence I'm referring to Kuwabara and Vegeta. I only take an issue with that because it was so jarring, especially considering how unrefined and unfitting they were in the Z/YYH dub.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
ABED wrote:
I didn't say it was the same voice? Maybe I should clarify, in my last sentence I'm referring to Kuwabara and Vegeta. I only take an issue with that because it was so jarring, especially considering how unrefined and unfitting they were in the Z/YYH dub.
If I'm understanding you, you mean that when you watch Yu Yu Hakusho and hear something that sounds more like Vegeta than Kuwabara, you find it shocking and it takes you out of the scene a little?

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:07 pm

ABED wrote: If I'm understanding you, you mean that when you watch Yu Yu Hakusho and hear something that sounds more like Vegeta than Kuwabara, you find it shocking and it takes you out of the scene a little?
I think you could rephrase that to whenever I hear Sabat's Kuwabara I find myself being taken out of the scene. Joking aside, yeah that's pretty much it.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
ABED wrote: If I'm understanding you, you mean that when you watch Yu Yu Hakusho and hear something that sounds more like Vegeta than Kuwabara, you find it shocking and it takes you out of the scene a little?
I think you could rephrase that to whenever I hear Sabat's Kuwabara I find myself being taken out of the scene. Joking aside, yeah that's pretty much it.
That I can understand, but I just plain don't like Sabat as Kuwabara. I enjoy that dub a lot, but Sabat is clearly the weak link in the main cast. That's far more of an issue to me than a few moments where another voice momentarily bleeds through.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Both of those sound awful. Drummond sounds too sound raspy and the second one sounds too old, ironically, both things you said a a Prince of Saiyans should NOT sound like.

Drummond is a little raspy but remember he's pissed off in the instagram link I showed. The GT Vegeta voice doesnt sound too old to me.

And this is based off of what? Your list doesn't even make sense. You say he should sound cocky, but not like a blowhard. In Kai, Sabat's voice sounds far more natural and effortless.

it's based on his character and it does make sense. Cocky/confident means he knows he can do anything, blowhard is just blowing hot air even though you know you can't do anything. Vegeta is one but he wouldnt admit that. Yeah but it doesn't sound good, that is the problem.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:44 am

Ree wrote:Both of those sound awful. Drummond sounds too sound raspy and the second one sounds too old, ironically, both things you said a a Prince of Saiyans should NOT sound like.

Drummond is a little raspy but remember he's pissed off in the instagram link I showed. The GT Vegeta voice doesnt sound too old to me.

it's based on his character and it does make sense. Cocky/confident means he knows he can do anything, blowhard is just blowing hot air even though you know you can't do anything. Vegeta is one but he wouldnt admit that. Yeah but it doesn't sound good, that is the problem.
There's a difference between cocky and confident, and Vegeta most definitely blows hot air. He's prone to making wild boasts. What's wrong with Sabat's voice in Kai? Do you prefer it from Z?

The example you gave from GT doesn't sound good. It's trying WAY too hard. I like Drummond as Vegeta early on, but it doesn't work later on in the series. He's a tad too stereotypically evil.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 am

he does make wild boasts but he is willing to try and back them up more often than no. I just don't think he's good at all but I guess RB2 is his least bad.

how? And I think Sabat sounds more stereotypical-evil, he just sounds like a deep voiced goon instead of a smug snake.
watch this from the Buu saga (Brian Drummond - Ocean Z)
https://instagram.com/p/hGIkGTJgdD/
doesn't sound evil, sounds older, and he didnt have to completely change his Vegeta voice just to make it work

speaking of older, happy birthday

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:19 am

Ree wrote:he does make wild boasts but he is willing to try and back them up more often than no. I just don't think he's good at all but I guess RB2 is his least bad.<br abp="691"><br abp="692">how? And I think Sabat sounds more stereotypical-evil, he just sounds like a deep voiced goon instead of a smug snake.<br abp="693">watch this from the Buu saga (Brian Drummond - Ocean Z)<br abp="694">https://instagram.com/p/hGIkGTJgdD/<br abp="695">doesn't sound evil, sounds older, and he didnt have to completely change his Vegeta voice just to make it work<br abp="696"><br abp="697">speaking of older, happy birthday
Thanks for the birthday shout out

I don't agree with your view on Sabat, but I agree that Drummond has a lot of talent.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 am

youre welcome! I do hope it'll be good.

Do you at least get my point now?
I'm glad we agree Drummond is the better Vegita even though we disagree on Rhodes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Ree wrote:youre welcome! I do hope it'll be good.

Do you at least get my point now?
I'm glad we agree Drummond is the better Vegita even though we disagree on Rhodes.
I don't agree that he's the better Vegeta, except in the first two arcs of Z. Once he dropped the Drummond imitation, he got much better. It should be noted that the powers that be required him to sound like Drummond.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:56 pm

I dont think I ever heard his Drummond imitation but I'm interested in it now.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Ree wrote:I dont think I ever heard his Drummond imitation but I'm interested in it now.
Then I take it you only heard the redubbed episodes and not the broadcast from back in 99. Unfortunately I can't find a sufficient Youtube video of it, but it's really bad.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:17 pm

I saw some of the 99 dub but he wasnt really doing a Drummond imitation in it.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BEzLXpMyM

Granted, it's not a very good impression, but it's much more nasally than his real voice and the only real explanation is that he was attempting to sound like Drummond.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Not as bad as the redub but still bad.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Ree wrote:Not as bad as the redub but still bad.
The redub is much better. It clashes with the 99 voices, but it's considerably better than before. If you ever manage to listen to his performances when Vegeta is about to die, you'll likely see the difference.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:20 pm

he might have just been better than usual in that 99 clip that was shown but the redub is usually my least favorite in comparisons because his voice is just so deep