My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:16 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:The episodes online I found have the new music, is why I wonder if there is a version with original. There is two main reasons for me not liking the new music, the first one is I think most of the time is just not fitting, and other one is I love the original music to the point I find it cult.

The other turn-offs I have with Kai are the voice acting which changed, not that I find it bad but I take the original over it any day of the week (I'm talking JAP actors ofc), also the colors, I prefer the darker tone, finally all the scenes that were scrapped, I know some people consider them as fillers but to me they contribute to the charm. Still I wanted to give it another shot but the music really ruins it for me.
The first 95 episodes are still available online with the yamamoto score. The yamamoto score was in the uncut dub till episode 52 and the edited dub in episode 65 i think
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:29 am

Ok I think there is a misunderstanding. I meant I want ORIGINAL music scores from ORIGINAL DB and DBZ, those are the ones I find totally epic, not the replacements we got in Kai. :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Ok I think there is a misunderstanding. I meant I want ORIGINAL music scores from ORIGINAL DB and DBZ, those are the ones I find totally epic, not the replacements we got in Kai. :)
The original music for Dragon Ball Kai is by Kenji Yamamoto, which due to being found guilty of plagiarism, was replaced by Shunsuke Kikuchi's score from the original series. Saying you want Kai with the 'original score' is going to confuse people.

If you want to listen with Kikuchi, you only have to buy the 'season' releases rather than the ones released as 'parts'. Keep in mind that the placement was rushed and only uses a small slice of Kikuchi's library. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's not great.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:57 am

Oh damn I see, thanks for the clarification. Yes when I say "original" I mean "DB/DBZ original", for me Kai is not original... :)
Thanks for the info, it pains me that placement was rushed and from what you're saying not faithful, not sure I'll buy then.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Oh damn I see, thanks for the clarification. Yes when I say "original" I mean "DB/DBZ original", for me Kai is not original... :)
Thanks for the info, it pains me that placement was rushed and from what you're saying not faithful, not sure I'll buy then.
I think the best thing to avoid confusion with this is specify which composer you're wanting. "The original score" could be construed to mean Yamamoto (which is what Kai started out with), Kikuchi (in your case), or even Faulconer (because that is what a lot of English fans "originally" experienced)!
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:24 pm

OK yeah I get it now thanks, I never understood why they needed to replace Kikuchi's tracks (so those are the real originals from back in the days, original JAP version, right?) though, they are just perfect...

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:The episodes online I found have the new music, is why I wonder if there is a version with original. There is two main reasons for me not liking the new music, the first one is I think most of the time is just not fitting, and other one is I love the original music to the point I find it cult.

The other turn-offs I have with Kai are the voice acting which changed, not that I find it bad but I take the original over it any day of the week (I'm talking JAP actors ofc), also the colors, I prefer the darker tone, finally all the scenes that were scrapped, I know some people consider them as fillers but to me they contribute to the charm. Still I wanted to give it another shot but the music really ruins it for me.
You don't like the Kai voice acting? Sean is the ONLY person I can hear as the voice of Goku. A lot of times the VA in JPN DBZ sound like screeching cats. Especially Goku.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:17 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:A lot of times the VA in JPN DBZ sound like screeching cats. Especially Goku.
No offense, but I'm not sure what you mean by "screeching cats". Screeching cats sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu_euu81Usc

Certainly not like the characters.

Vegeta and Cell come off as masculine and imposing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4djQqtTcTs
Freeza sounding very regal and condescending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmg9xGcTeIg
Fat Buu is a simple man-child/Skinny/Super Buu is animalistic and more savage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOA4yFC80hY
Piccolo and Raditz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-cFp4Bpvc
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.