My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:37 pm

So, now I've finally gotten around to seeing this Kai series that I've talked about, but haven't actually seen! :D
As usual, it'll be the English dub, but given that this is Kai, it's practically expected. It's apparently considered to be the main attraction in the US. I'm seeing this with Kikuchi's music on the Season 1 DVD. Due to my brother's high school schedule, it's more convenient for us to do just a single episode per day, so I shall be keeping this thing updated a lot more often.

My thoughts so far.

-Opening theme, Dragon Soul is awesome! Very nice animation, too!
-Doc Morgan's narration reminds me of Brice Armstrong's a lot. I like it. They're clearly going for a tone closer to the Japanese version here.
-We start out with a prologue sequence with Bardock facing off against Frieza, who is still voiced by Linda Young for this scene. Was the decision to cast Ayres a late one?
-Obligatory Dragon Ball Recap. Pretty nicely done.
-What is that title card music? The same tune is heard in a different arrangement later in the episode when Gohan is introduced to Goku's friends.
-Nice eyecatchers! Dragon Soul variation
-Colleen Clinkenbeard's Gohan sounds more like an actual kid compared to Nadolny's, but I'd say it's too early to judge right now, given Gohan's very young age here.
-Monica Rial's Bulma sounds pretty much like Battle of Gods, so I'm already somewhat familiar with it. Definitely sounds more natural than Vollmer's.
-Everybody else is the same, but even better, pretty much! Goku, Master Roshi, Krillin, Piccolo, and Raditz.
-What the HELL have you been doing, Raditz says. Yep, this is the version that doesn't shy away from swearing except during certain parts of Namek for some unexplained reason.
-Also, notice some script differences from US Z. If I recall correctly, I don't think Krillin mentioned Launch's whereabouts there.
-Ah, Shunsuke KIkuchi's music. Haven't heard his stuff since Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure. Has a very mechanical sound at parts here.
-Ending theme Yeah! Break! Care! Break!, I like! Also, Madame Not Appearing in this Series, Launch, is here.
-Oh, yay, NEPs are included! Variation of ending theme plays. These are pretty fun.

Probably won't have as much to say about every episode, but I'm looking forward to running through this entire thing!
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:-What is that title card music? The same tune is heard in a different arrangement later in the episode when Gohan is introduced to Goku's friends.
It's a clip of one of Gohan's themes from Z. The most frequently used episode recap music in the Kikuchi version is a Piccolo theme track that I want to say first appeared in late Dragon Ball (like 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai), but it might have been a Z original too.

While I prefer Kai with the Kikuchi tracks over Yamamoto, one of its casualties is the use of distinct character themes, which is a shame. They tend to get repurposed for whatever. What was originally Cell's theme plays quite a bit during the Freeza arc, if I recall correctly.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:12 pm

You really must see the show with Yamamoto. It is simply amazing honestly.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:52 am

Good luck on the journey, Valerius!

I have a feeling your viewings of Kai will go by much quicker due to the faster pacing, the improved dub, and the chance to hear Kikuchi's music in DBZ once again. Personally, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how you feel about certain scenes and character motivations due to the (sometimes drastically) different dialogue between the old and new dub. Especially with characters like Goku and Freeza, arguably the most altered characters in the older Z dub.

As for Kikuchi's music showing up again, I'm totally down with it. The true score for Z is now back in Z. Yeah, the placements are different and a lot of it gets reused, but it's still better IMO than almost all the other composers' work (Yamamoto, Sumitomo, Faulconer Prod., etc).

I do like Yamamoto's score for Kai a lot though, but it's not like it's vanished from the face of the Earth. One can always track down the OSTs, or find tracks and clips on YouTube. There are also fan "restorations" that can be found, but shouldn't be discussed on this forum.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 am

-Doc Morgan's narration reminds me of Brice Armstrong's a lot. I like it. They're clearly going for a tone closer to the Japanese version here.
Kai's English narrator is probably my favorite of all the various narrators throughout the Funi dub, with original DB close behind.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:31 am

Cipher wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:-What is that title card music? The same tune is heard in a different arrangement later in the episode when Gohan is introduced to Goku's friends.
It's a clip of one of Gohan's themes from Z. The most frequently used episode recap music in the Kikuchi version is a Piccolo theme track that I want to say first appeared in late Dragon Ball (like 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai), but it might have been a Z original too.
I believe I read on here somewhere that not a single track from the original Dragon Ball was used in Kai, unlike in Z. I could easily recognize any track from DB, and haven't heard any tracks I've recognized so far in the first episode.

But yeah, thanks for the Gohan theme tip!

And thanks guys for your feedback! I'm lovin' this already and I'm only 1 episode in! :D

"This sucks. Make more."

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 am

The usage of Kikuchi's score in Kai is a little weird: They mostly used Cell/Buu-era music when they replaced Yamamoto's score.

It still mostly fits though, and I'd rather have DragonBall with Kikuchi than without, but those with a knowledge of the Japanese score will find it strange when themes for the Androids are being used for the Saiyans. Meh, still perfectly watchable.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:04 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:The usage of Kikuchi's score in Kai is a little weird: They mostly used Cell/Buu-era music when they replaced Yamamoto's score.

It still mostly fits though, and I'd rather have DragonBall with Kikuchi than without, but those with a knowledge of the Japanese score will find it strange when themes for the Androids are being used for the Saiyans. Meh, still perfectly watchable.
The tracks can work but it depends on how you place them. I do plan to do my own kikuchi placement and this is how it would go
Episodes 1-7 introduces the original db score, the m700's and movies 1-4 ost
Episode 8 introduces movie 5's ost
Episode 12 introduces movie 6's ost
Episode 13 introduces movie 7's ost
Episode 32 introduces movie 8's ost
Episode 41 introduces movie 9's ost
Episode 43 introduces movie 10's ost
Episode 59 introduces movie 11/buu arc ost
Episode 68 introduces movie 12's ost
Episode 80 introduces movie 13's ost
On a side note glad your enjoying kai valerius even with the kikuchi score. For me it's mostly unwatchable due to the kikuchi placement but that's just my opinion
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:12 pm

I actually think the series is quite watchable with Kikuchi's score as long as you let go of being distracted by knowing when the tracks come in in Z. I also think the tracks Z is limited to in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs are some of the least interesting in the series, so in a way I don't mind getting android-arc material earlier. As I said, I just miss the use of distinct character themes. It's also no more repetitive than scoring was with Yamamoto.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Exactly. A newcomer wouldn't really notice or care that the music placement is different. It's just those of us that have been exposed to the Japanese version for years, or have at least been on this forum for a while, can point these things out.
Valerius Dover wrote:Was the decision to cast Ayres a late one?
From what we understand, Sabat decided to recast Freeza after Linda Young did some readings for the new style of dialogue, but it was hard to keep up with the quicker pace with her "Frieza" voice, so they brought in Ayres.
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Did they use the Deadzone music for when Goku turns Super Saiyan back when they inserted Kikuchi into Kai?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Did they use the Deadzone music for when Goku turns Super Saiyan back when they inserted Kikuchi into Kai?
No, they used M1418 - Android 13 Transforms.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Did they use the Deadzone music for when Goku turns Super Saiyan back when they inserted Kikuchi into Kai?
It is my understanding, according to this old thread, that pieces from Movie 1 are not used at all. It'll be a while before I get to the Super Saiyan scene, of course, though. Don't even have the Season 2 box set yet. :D

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 59#p484839

"This sucks. Make more."

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:28 pm

And Episode 2 covered today!

-And we now have a new recap showing footage from the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Also, the opening is placed a little bit into the episode. From what I understand, every episode but the very first does this.
-Really cool sounding militaristic track towards the end of the scene between Goku and Piccolo. Hope this plays a lot. I picture this fitting the Androids really well.
-Important Info Drop here. Raditz mentions that the other two Saiyans are stronger then he is and THAT is what spooks Goku and Piccolo. The Z dub had Raditz say he had been holding back and makes no mention of his comrades.

"This sucks. Make more."

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Don't know what Kikuchi song they used, but the Yamamoto version had a pretty heart pumping tune that played when Raditz' scouter goes off just as Goku and Piccolo finally land near him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoq4gBNApU
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:57 pm

The replacement score used M742-Horns and Drums. I actually think the Saiyan arc is pretty well placed. Episode 3 has a few good placement like when Goku and Piccolo first rush in to fight Raditz, Goku's Kamehameha and Goku's death. Yamcha's death also comes to mind. When Nappa breaks Tien's arm. Goku's Kaioken x3 against Vegeta. Beam struggle. Good stuff.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh yeah! They used that song too when Goku "dies" on Namek.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 pm

They actually used the first half of M1418 - Android 13 transforms, then M1523 - The Terror Swells Up, then used the latter half of M1418 again.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Episodes 3-5 today, being a weekend. :D

-New eyecatcher as of Episode 5, neat. These change every few episodes to suit the characters and setting.
-The title card music appears to have changed as of Episode 3 and remained the same since. Weird.
-Noticed a lot of renimated shots during the battle. Also, Vegeta's been color-corrected.
-Chris Cason has taken over Sabat's old role as Mr. Popo. This voice sounds somewhat similar enough, still being sophisticated, but I think it's too early to make a judgement here.
-Sabat's Vegeta is the smoother sounding one that can also be heard in Battle of Gods. His Kami sounds more natural here, too.
-Others are pretty much the same. Kyle Hebert as the Ox-King, Phil Parsons as Nappa, and Mike McFarland as Yajirobe.

"This sucks. Make more."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:39 am

Valerius Dover wrote:-Chris Cason has taken over Sabat's old role as Mr. Popo. This voice sounds somewhat similar enough, still being sophisticated, but I think it's too early to make a judgement here.
Which is hilarious in hindsight as he originally voiced Mr Popo back when Funimation first started dubbing Dragon Ball Z in-house before being replaced by Sabat. He also did Tien before John Burgmeier took over.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)