Are the sets with the original music valuable?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Are the sets with the original music valuable?

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:33 am

Considering that they're out of print sets that will never again receive a release, do they tend to go for a pretty penny?

Do you anticipate that they will get much more expensive and harder to find as time goes on?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Are the sets with the original music valuable?

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:30 am

I know the mods are generally against short answer posts but i dont really know what to say other than yes on all accounts.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:51 am

Almost certainly. Though with Manga UK somehow getting the Yamamoto score for their release, I guess they probably haven't quite hit that point just yet... But yeah, sooner or later it will inevitably happen.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:08 am

Things only have value if someone is willing to pay for it. By the very nature of their rarity there's certainly some "value" added there, but if ultimately no-one cares and it gets wiped under the rug in fans' minds the way Toei wants... well, there ya' go. The only real way to get a satisfying answer would be to check out some average resell prices on second-hand sites and then follow-up with the buyers and ask if the music was a deciding reason for the price/decision.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 am

Personally I'd pay more for the Yamamoto version over the Kikuchi-splattered version. Unfortunately, I think FUNi's version got its OST changed earlier than the Japanese broadcast. So in order to get Cell saga with Yamamoto tracks, I'd have to import for a pretty penny and would be missing optional English tracks.

Could be a good investment, though. Time will tell.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:42 am

LuckyCat wrote:Unfortunately, I think FUNi's version got its OST changed earlier than the Japanese broadcast.
The Japanese broadcast had Yamamoto until episode 95. The Japanese Blu-Ray boxes had his music until episode 76 and the DVD singles until 72.

Funimation's DVD/Blu-Ray release had Yamamoto until episode 52 and the Nicktoons broadcast had his music until episode 63.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:Things only have value if someone is willing to pay for it. By the very nature of their rarity there's certainly some "value" added there, but if ultimately no-one cares and it gets wiped under the rug in fans' minds the way Toei wants... well, there ya' go. The only real way to get a satisfying answer would be to check out some average resell prices on second-hand sites and then follow-up with the buyers and ask if the music was a deciding reason for the price/decision.
That is a good point, just checking Amazon and Part 4 is selling for $124.99, but as you said it is meaningless if no-one is buying it. People are willing to spend a lot on the DBoxes but I haven't seen anyone spend that sort of money on Kai yet. If say in a year or so and no-one still hasn't bought it then it would probably drop in price, right? I have regularly checked Amazon (missing Parts 1 & 3) and the prices for these Kai parts do fluctuate quite a bit, so I guess it is hard to say if they'll become valuable or not especially now that Manga have had Set 1 and half of set 2 with the Yamamoto music and the Aus Yamamoto music sets are still regularly available, so if someone does some research they'll found that FUNi's OOP sets aren't the only one's with dub w/ Yamamoto music, thus they'd be wasting money on FUNi's sets.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:32 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Unfortunately, I think FUNi's version got its OST changed earlier than the Japanese broadcast.
The Japanese broadcast had Yamamoto until episode 95. The Japanese Blu-Ray boxes had his music until episode 76 and the DVD singles until 72.

Funimation's DVD/Blu-Ray release had Yamamoto until episode 52 and the Nicktoons broadcast had his music until episode 63.
Oh I knew it was something complicated like that. The bottom line is, there really isn't a "perfect" home release for Kai. But if you had JP Blu-rays of eps 1-76, I imagine you'd be sitting on some valuable property.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Things only have value if someone is willing to pay for it. By the very nature of their rarity there's certainly some "value" added there, but if ultimately no-one cares and it gets wiped under the rug in fans' minds the way Toei wants... well, there ya' go. The only real way to get a satisfying answer would be to check out some average resell prices on second-hand sites and then follow-up with the buyers and ask if the music was a deciding reason for the price/decision.
That is a good point, just checking Amazon and Part 4 is selling for $124.99, but as you said it is meaningless if no-one is buying it. People are willing to spend a lot on the DBoxes but I haven't seen anyone spend that sort of money on Kai yet. If say in a year or so and no-one still hasn't bought it then it would probably drop in price, right? I have regularly checked Amazon (missing Parts 1 & 3) and the prices for these Kai parts do fluctuate quite a bit, so I guess it is hard to say if they'll become valuable or not especially now that Manga have had Set 1 and half of set 2 with the Yamamoto music and the Aus Yamamoto music sets are still regularly available, so if someone does some research they'll found that FUNi's OOP sets aren't the only one's with dub w/ Yamamoto music, thus they'd be wasting money on FUNi's sets.
You can get part 4 off eBay for way cheaper then that even the blu ray. Amazon sellers over price stuff to the max it's nuts. It'd be even better if you just buy all the parts in one shot it'll be cheaper that way. Just have to be patient and wait for that good deal.