Was Kai Necessary

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Was Kai Necessary

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 am

sintzu wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I'd welcome an original series Kai with open arms and buy all the Blu-Rays but much like the Ocean Kai dub it would take a small miracle for it to happen.
We thought that about the Buu saga so you never know but it's very less likely than Buu was.
Different strokes for different blokes I suppose but I never had any doubt the dubbed Buu saga of Kai would come. It couldn't have ended up stuck in a vault like Ocean Kai because it always had a TV network and Kai was doing great on Toonami so there was absolutely no reason for them to not air new episodes. A lot of money would have been left on the table if they just aired Super after the Cell saga finished.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I never had any doubt the dubbed Buu saga of Kai would come.
I was talking about the arc as a whole getting a Kai version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:58 am

sintzu wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I never had any doubt the dubbed Buu saga of Kai would come.
I was talking about the arc as a whole getting a Kai version.
Was that an actual worry? I know Krillin JPN VA leaked info on it but when in relation to Cell arc ending did it happen?

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am

gipset wrote:You guys are forgetting the fact that many people completely forgot DB existed until Kai popped up. It's very enticing for fans from the first airing to watch something from their childhood "remastered" and with the fat trimmed. One doesn't replace the other, they exist simultaneously.

Also, Kai was a great way to introduce DB to a new generation, which I think is the reason why we've seen a DB resurgence in the first place. Kai had to happen for everything that came after it.

I'm surprised they haven't announced a kai version of the original DB series. We can only hope they'll redub and "remaster" it so that the same new generation can see how DB is just as good as Z.
So, just to give a real life example, I'd like to talk about my own personal experience with Dragon Ball.
So, in 2010, when I was around the age of 10-11 (depending on *when* I actually started watching, it was a tiny bit into the Saiyan Saga), I began watching DBZ Kai on Nicktoons. Now, while some people aren't a big fan of the edits made to the show and would've rather just had it not air at all, if it wasn't for that broadcast I probably would've never gotten into Dragon Ball. You see, that Christmas I had asked for a copy of DBZ Season 1, but instead I got this odd blue box with a Child Goku on it. Seeing that Kid Goku grabbed my attention, and rather than complain about it being the wrong thing, I actually tried to hide as best as possible the error so I could check this out. What followed was fantastic. I remember marathoning that first season over Winter Break, hearing that ever so beautiful dub with Stephanie Noldony. I remember laughing, crying, and all the in-between. Needless to say, I eventually got all 5 Blue Boxes, and at the age of 12 I had completely finished the original Dragon Ball. While Z Kai was good, I still remember more emotions coming from DB than almost all of Z. My point is, due to extreme circumstances and a little time, I was able to see Dragon Ball as well as Z at a young age. I feel that airing even just the censored original Dragon Ball would be a fantastic idea, it's a great anime which deserves to be seen by more kids so they can experience the story like I could.
-Insert Something Creative-

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Was that an actual worry?
Yeah cause when it ended in 2011 there was no word of it continuing with Buu until late 2012 and the reason it even happened was because of how popular internationally.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Was that an actual worry?
Yeah cause when it ended in 2011 there was no word of it continuing with Buu until late 2012 and the reason it even happened was because of how popular internationally.
Oh wow didn't realise it was almost a year. I wonder if Toei got the JPN cast to still dub because of the off chance it might air, which it of course did.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I wonder if Toei got the JPN cast to still dub because of the off chance it might air, which it of course did.
I don't think that's why, all dubbed anime (post 2005 at least) have a Japanese track as well as a foreign one so they were going to do it even if they knew for a 100% it wouldn't air in Japan.

Even if it didn't air that doesn't mean they wouldn't have sold it there so that's another reason to give it a Japanese track.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I wonder if Toei got the JPN cast to still dub because of the off chance it might air, which it of course did.
I don't think that's why, all dubbed anime (post 2005 at least) have a Japanese track as well as a foreign one so they were going to do it even if they knew for a 100% it wouldn't air in Japan.

Even if it didn't air that doesn't mean they wouldn't have sold it there so that's another reason to give it a Japanese track.
Oh you're right didn't think they would have just sold them on BD but that actually makes sense.