Finally getting to see Kai! (uk fan)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Finally getting to see Kai! (uk fan)

Post by SSJmole » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:25 am

Hello

my situation was it aired on Pop so had like no adversing so by the time I knew it was mid way through and I hate watching a show mid way through. My local HMV was always out of stock of season 1 bluray BUT i finallt just asked them and they ordered in for me so I got 1 to 4 :) I'll keep updating if that is okay with thoughts but so far my thoughts are this of the bluray and show :

Cons :
1 HATE the name. Z kai sounds dumb. Just kai would be better or something like the Japanese name. But I understand Z sells and in the west Z is the brand.

2 I hate 4:3 aspect ratio. I know people love it so that's cool. For me though the black bars on side are distracting.

3 Menu looks so basic and bland like Episodes are so compact it's hard to read.

Pros:
1 Love the new into song. Dragon Soul!

2 It's cool they incorporated Bardock

3 Love the Splash pages like :

4 It looks good even if I don't like aspect

5 Sound is fantastic.

Now I will say at least so far ( episode 1) It has a power ranger quality. I.e you can tell what is new animation and what is old. Like on power rangers the japanese footage looks different to new usa (only on DBZK it is all Japanese the old vs new still works.) I am loving this :) Great bluray though not sure if it has extras yet I'll check later

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Finally getting to see Kai! (uk fan)

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 pm

SSJmole wrote:2 I hate 4:3 aspect ratio. I know people love it so that's cool. For me though the black bars on side are distracting.
I'll never understand why so many people are bothered by this, and have been since the dawn of home video. I'm not referring to you specifically at all when I say this, but I don't see what's hard about ignoring them. I even have an old silver Sony Trinitron CRT from '99 or so, and I watch lots of widescreen shows on it, but the bars have never bothered me, and I'm one who's usually bothered by minor imperfections.

Again, I'm not saying you're not allowed to feel the way you do, and you certainly aren't alone. It's more a broad statement towards that general mindset. Anyway, it's awesome that you're finally watching, and seemingly enjoying Kai! :thumbup: Just for your information, the "Z Kai" name was apparently forced through by Toei because the "Z" series was more marketable overseas, and they wanted to squeeze every dollar out of that name recognition. According to FUNimation though, Kai's sales have been less than stellar. I think Sabat or Cook once said that they felt Kai was probably selling more Orange Bricks. :x
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:29 pm

On Pop? Wasnt it on Kix? God dont tell me it jumped channels with little advertising! THAT'S THE WORST! I hope that's not the case. I love Kix and that's a bad move.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:02 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:2 I hate 4:3 aspect ratio. I know people love it so that's cool. For me though the black bars on side are distracting.
I'll never understand why so many people are bothered by this, and have been since the dawn of home video. I'm not referring to you specifically at all when I say this, but I don't see what's hard about ignoring them.
I agree you can ignore them. I am just really obsessive about stuff :) example If i want to see a show but miss episode 1 I don't watch it. For me it's more I know they are there and it bugs it :) I agree however it could just be my hangup.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:On Pop? Wasnt it on Kix? God dont tell me it jumped channels with little advertising! THAT'S THE WORST! I hope that's not the case. I love Kix and that's a bad move.
No I think it was on Kix but Kix , Tiny Pop and pop are all owned by the same company and some shows are on both. I loose track of which is which BUT yes Kix sounds right

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:41 am

SSJmole wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:On Pop? Wasnt it on Kix? God dont tell me it jumped channels with little advertising! THAT'S THE WORST! I hope that's not the case. I love Kix and that's a bad move.
No I think it was on Kix but Kix , Tiny Pop and pop are all owned by the same company and some shows are on both. I loose track of which is which BUT yes Kix sounds right
It was on Kix only, from December 2012 until late November last year. It was cool having something DB to watch on TV again, although they went through an annoying phase for a while of only repeating the Saiyan-Frieza sagas even after they'd shown the Android/Cell saga.

They did have some cool promos too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOi12J4nE0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4B4_cnAHRI

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:08 am

SSJmole wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
I'll never understand why so many people are bothered by this, and have been since the dawn of home video. I'm not referring to you specifically at all when I say this, but I don't see what's hard about ignoring them.
I agree you can ignore them. I am just really obsessive about stuff :) example If i want to see a show but miss episode 1 I don't watch it. For me it's more I know they are there and it bugs it :) I agree however it could just be my hangup.
I'm pretty damn obsessive over TV shows I like, I've even gone to extreme lengths to avoid PAL speedup by importing region 1 DVD's.

Black bars are not an issue in any way shape or form because the show was animated for 4:3 screens. By stretching it to 16:9 you're literally losing part of the picture, it's part of the reason I avoided those garbage orange bricks MangaUK put out.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 pm

90sDBZ wrote:It was on Kix only, from December 2012 until late November last year. It was cool having something DB to watch on TV again, although they went through an annoying phase for a while of only repeating the Saiyan-Frieza sagas even after they'd shown the Android/Cell saga.

They did have some cool promos too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOi12J4nE0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4B4_cnAHRI
Yeah, repeating episodes from the Saiyan and Freeza arc even when the episodes of the Android/Cell arc were being aired were quite annoying and ruined the flow of watching the show itself. But I do agree that the promos from the show were awesome.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:56 pm

To the OP:

Are you watching the episodes with the original Kenji Yamamoto BGM? It was much better than the replacement music.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:48 am

DB1984 wrote:To the OP:

Are you watching the episodes with the original Kenji Yamamoto BGM? It was much better than the replacement music.
I'm not sure. I like the music regardless but under audio our bluray has English or Japanese . I don't see English with separate music so I assume default. :)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:09 pm

SSJmole wrote:
DB1984 wrote:To the OP:

I'm not sure. I like the music regardless but under audio our bluray has English or Japanese . I don't see English with separate music so I assume default. :)
If it's the UK Blu-ray release then it must be Yamamoto up until the episode were Gohan attacks 3rd Form Frieza where it switches to Kikuchi.