What if there was a Big Green dub of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

What if there was a Big Green dub of Kai?

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 pm

If AB Groupe did an English dub of Kai I would assume they would call everything what it is (example, Piccolo instead of Big Green) because I don't think anybody liked the dub much so nobody really has an attachment to "Big Green," "Clearin," or "Space Warriors." I've heard that in the French dub of Kai they called everything what it's actually called so I'm sure since they've used the French scripts to make other dubs in the past they'd do the same thing with Kai.
Still, if they kept everyone as "Big Green" and other nonsensical names, it would be really hilarious. So I'd kind of want them to make another terrible dub just for old times' sake. What do you guys think would happen? Would you want an accurate and non-terrible dub or a wretchedly bad inaccurate dub for laughs?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What if there was a Big Green dub of Kai?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

I bet it could start being dubbed right now and still come out before the Ocean Kai dub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Worst case scenario, a hypothetical Big Green dub of Kai would use either the French or the Funi (!) script of Kai with the old French names (ALA Catalan Kai). The acting may still be bad, but the script won't be a mess. Who knows, the Big Green cast might act vastly superior in this hypothetical Kai dub compared to the dubs of the movies and specials, as they might have better direction and not be forced to talkveryquicklyallinonesentencelikethis.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:38 am

Meh, the Big Green dub had its time. If Ocean Kai is never released there's no need for alternate Kai dubs when we already have the amazing Funimation version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Worst case scenario, a hypothetical Big Green dub of Kai would use either the French or the Funi (!) script of Kai with the old French names (ALA Catalan Kai). The acting may still be bad, but the script won't be a mess. Who knows, the Big Green cast might act vastly superior in this hypothetical Kai dub compared to the dubs of the movies and specials, as they might have better direction and not be forced to talkveryquicklyallinonesentencelikethis.
Galician Kai also still use the old terms, excepting for "Space Warriors", that are now called "Saiyans", but they still use "Onda Vital" instead of "Kamehameha" for example.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:39 am

Is Piccolo still "Satan's Little Heart"? In other words, terms from the DB dub are kept but terms new to DBZ, or terms not named in the DB dub at all, are translated properly?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.