What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The fact that they went with cropped widescreen for TFC/Kai 2.0 on both fronts was a weird decision on Toei's part, especially being that with Kai 1.0 the widescreen TV broadcast version in Japan was limited to the individual DVD volumes while the BD boxes were the proper 4:3 presentation, and over here in the States both the DVDs and Blu-Rays of all releases of episodes 1-98 were exclusively in the original fullscreen only. Even now i wonder why didn't they do the same and just keep the 16:9 exclusively on television and put them out with the original aspect ratio of the footage.
TFC was a half-assed, rushed product so the end result is that it's a mixed-bag and what you see is what you get. For TFC to actually be somewhat good fans had to tweak stuff and make custom scores and even then it's still a very flawed item at best.

Dragon Ball Kai was clearly a quality product and TOEI was aiming for it, TFC was an afterthought for the international market so it didn't get much love.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The fact that they went with cropped widescreen for TFC/Kai 2.0 on both fronts was a weird decision on Toei's part, especially being that with Kai 1.0 the widescreen TV broadcast version in Japan was limited to the individual DVD volumes while the BD boxes were the proper 4:3 presentation, and over here in the States both the DVDs and Blu-Rays of all releases of episodes 1-98 were exclusively in the original fullscreen only. Even now i wonder why didn't they do the same and just keep the 16:9 exclusively on television and put them out with the original aspect ratio of the footage.
TFC was a half-assed, rushed product so the end result is that it's a mixed-bag and what you see is what you get. For TFC to actually be somewhat good fans had to tweak stuff and make custom scores and even then it's still a very flawed item at best.

Dragon Ball Kai was clearly a quality product and TOEI was aiming for it, TFC was an afterthought for the international market so it didn't get much love.
Yeah, you really can tell the job they did for Final Chapters was so so at best. They clearly didn't put a lot of effort or thought into remastering/editing the Buu episodes unlike what Toei and Q-Tec had previously done with Kai 1.0 and just wanted to quickly pump them out to fans who had been speculating and worrying over it since the series was halted back in 2011, and at one point it even looked like they were never going to do it until around three years later as a quick replacement because Toriko had not done very well in the Dream 9 time slot.

Simply put, it was a rush job through and through and is nowhere near as good as the previous 98 episodes had been.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, you really can tell the job they did for Final Chapters was so so at best. They clearly didn't put a lot of effort or thought into remastering/editing the Buu episodes unlike what Toei and Q-Tec had done with Kai 1.0 and just wanted to quickly pump them out to people who had been speculating and worrying over it since the series was halted in 2011, and at one point it even looked like they were never going to do it until around three years later as a quick replacement because Toriko had not done very well in the Dream 9 time slot.
Well, Dragon Ball Kai was cancelled and then it was revived back with the continuation of "The Final Chapters" where they did a mini-resume of what happened previously rather than jump in to the series.

I don't hate Dragon Ball Kai: TFC but am not much of a fan either since it's nowhere near as good as Dragon Ball Kai.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, you really can tell the job they did for Final Chapters was so so at best. They clearly didn't put a lot of effort or thought into remastering/editing the Buu episodes unlike what Toei and Q-Tec had done with Kai 1.0 and just wanted to quickly pump them out to people who had been speculating and worrying over it since the series was halted in 2011, and at one point it even looked like they were never going to do it until around three years later as a quick replacement because Toriko had not done very well in the Dream 9 time slot.
Well, Dragon Ball Kai was cancelled and then it was revived back with the continuation of "The Final Chapters" where they did a mini-resume of what happened previously rather than jump in to the series.

I don't hate Dragon Ball Kai: TFC but am not much of a fan either since it's nowhere near as good as Dragon Ball Kai.
Yeah, if only they had been done with the same level of care that Kai 1.0 had because you can tell just how better that batch of episodes were editing and restoration wise compared to the Buu episodes in TFC format. It's not horrible per se, because i did watch most all of the dubbed version on Adult Swim/Toonami and will eventually get the three parts to own Kai in it's entirety as i have nearly all of 1.0 on DVD but it definitely could have been much better than it turned out.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 am

Don't worry guys, once we get Blu Ray Dragon Box I'll recut the Kai series for you all lol.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 am

Dagon wrote:Don't worry guys, once we get Blu Ray Dragon Box I'll recut the Kai series for you all lol.
I love how Dragon Ball Kai is but Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters definitely needs to be tweaked.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The fact that they went with cropped widescreen for TFC/Kai 2.0 on both fronts was a weird decision on Toei's part
It's always cheaper to remaster a show in 16:9 than in 4:3. IDK how exactly, but I've read numerous times that it is. Toei gave as little a budget as possible for Boo Kai since it was requested by licensors and not meant to air in Japan. We had a small score, a terrible remaster, only around 25% of filler removed, and it was done in 16:9 to save a little more of the budget. Toei simply could not have done worse with Boo Kai. It's why I sometimes hate being a Dragon Ball fan--Toei ruins everything by being cheap. It's been 30 years since the franchise began and we still don't have a definitive way to watch the most popular portion of the series (the 'Z' portion).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:The fact that they went with cropped widescreen for TFC/Kai 2.0 on both fronts was a weird decision on Toei's part
It's always cheaper to remaster a show in 16:9 than in 4:3. IDK how exactly, but I've read numerous times that it is. Toei gave as little a budget as possible for Boo Kai since it was requested by licensors and not meant to air in Japan. We had a small score, a terrible remaster, only around 25% of filler removed, and it was done in 16:9 to save a little more of the budget. Toei simply could not have done worse with Boo Kai. It's why I sometimes hate being a Dragon Ball fan--Toei ruins everything by being cheap. It's been 30 years since the franchise began and we still don't have a definitive way to watch the most popular portion of the series (the 'Z' portion).
Yeah, there's no denying that TFC was a miniscule budget rush job intended initially for only international broadcast outside of Japan and the main reason why Toei relented and backtracked on that plan was due to Toriko not performing well on the Dream 9 time slot in which it had succeeded Kai 1.0 in the wake of it's ending in 2011. Simply put, they needed a quick replacement for the replacement show that was ending it's brief three year stint on the block.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 am

On the BluRay menu of Kai TFC do the episodes count from 99 or 1?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:52 pm

mute_proxy wrote:On the BluRay menu of Kai TFC do the episodes count from 99 or 1?
From 99 but technically they should have gone with 1, since it's a sequel and not a continuation of Dragon Ball Kai.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:On the BluRay menu of Kai TFC do the episodes count from 99 or 1?
From 99 but technically they should have gone with 1, since it's a sequel and not a continuation of Dragon Ball Kai.
In Japan it's a continuation (it isn't called TFC), other countries did what VIZ did to the manga, cut it in half

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm

mute_proxy wrote:In Japan it's a continuation (it isn't called TFC), other countries did what VIZ did to the manga, cut it in half
In Japan it's called "Majin Boo Hen" which just really means Majin Boo arc.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:In Japan it's a continuation (it isn't called TFC), other countries did what VIZ did to the manga, cut it in half
Don't know about that, in the title sequence it's just Dragon Ball Kai
And the home releases arent packaged any differently

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Don't know about that, in the title sequence it's just Dragon Ball Kai
And the home releases arent packaged any differently
Really? I recall reading it on Amazon or Play Asia.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Really? I recall reading it on Amazon or Play Asia.
Well it is the "Majin Buu arc", it says so on the corner of the cover, but it also says "Artificial Human & Cell arc" the same way on the previous boxes

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:the main reason why Toei relented and backtracked on that plan was due to Toriko not performing well on the Dream 9 time slot in which it had succeeded Kai 1.0 in the wake of it's ending in 2011. Simply put, they needed a quick replacement for the replacement show that was ending it's brief three year stint on the block.
I know. It just sucks that they didn't even go back and fix that awful green tint. That bothers me more than anything about it. I could bear with 16:9, and I could bear the barely existent filler removal. But that tint just ruins everything.

(I liked the score)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:the main reason why Toei relented and backtracked on that plan was due to Toriko not performing well on the Dream 9 time slot in which it had succeeded Kai 1.0 in the wake of it's ending in 2011. Simply put, they needed a quick replacement for the replacement show that was ending it's brief three year stint on the block.
I know. It just sucks that they didn't even go back and fix that awful green tint. That bothers me more than anything about it. I could bear with 16:9, and I could bear the barely existent filler removal. But that tint just ruins everything.

(I liked the score)
Yeah, i still plan on eventually getting the three TFC volumes to have all of Kai after i've finished Kai 1.0 but yes that weird color cast makes it look all faded and ugly looking. Makes me wish they had put more effort into restoring the footage and even left it in 4:3 for the home releases to be consistent with the BD releases of episodes 1-98.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:28 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

(I liked the score)
Yeah, i still plan on eventually getting the three TFC volumes to have all of Kai after i've finished Kai 1.0 but yes that weird color cast makes it look all faded and ugly looking. Makes me wish they had put more effort into restoring the footage and even left it in 4:3 for the home releases to be consistent with the BD releases of episodes 1-98.
BDs are the home releases, they are the same thing.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 am

ZodaEX wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

(I liked the score)
BDs are the home releases, they are the same thing.
Oops, i meant to say that it would have been great if TFC was left in 4:3 for the DVD/BD releases as had been done previously for Kai 1.0 in both versions.