What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:21 pm

So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?
Same question goes for battle of gods & ressurection F
My English is poor .

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What's the difference between the DVD's & the Blue-Rays ?

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?
The difference is that the Blu-Rays are HD whereas the DVDs are not. The actual content is exactly the same, but the BDs are higher quality. So if you have a Blu-ray player, absolutely go for the Blu-rays. There is literally no reason not to.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

The Blu Rays are also presented in proper 4:3 aspect ratio whereas the dvd's are in 16:9

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?
The difference is that the Blu-Rays are HD whereas the DVDs are not. The actual content is exactly the same, but the BDs are higher quality. So if you have a Blu-ray player, absolutely go for the Blu-rays. There is literally no reason not to.

Ok , Thanks for the answer ! :)
My English is poor .

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:50 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:The Blu Rays are also presented in proper 4:3 aspect ratio whereas the dvd's are in 16:9
As far as I know, that's only the case in Japan. The US DVDs are also 4:3.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Really? Well that's interesting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Really? Well that's interesting.
Yup. I have Part 3 in DVD since the BD was too expensive. It's in 4x3.

Upscaled there is honestly very little difference. The only reason to get BD's are the fact that BD are more durable than DVD's.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:38 pm

You should definitely get the Blu-Rays. Kai was, after all, intended partly to be a version of DBZ in true HD. I own some of the Dragon Boxes but I can still say that the Kai Blu-Rays have the best picture quality of any DB release thus far.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:25 pm

People never bring this up but blu rays have superior audio quality too. So if you a home theater system blu rays are the way to go.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:You should definitely get the Blu-Rays. Kai was, after all, intended partly to be a version of DBZ in true HD. I own some of the Dragon Boxes but I can still say that the Kai Blu-Rays have the best picture quality of any DB release thus far.
You are wrong about the Kai Blu-Rays having the best picture quality of any DB release because the Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays look much much better than Kai's. Also, what is the difference between true HD and regular HD? Wouldn't the latter just simply be referred to SD?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:41 am

First of all, TrueHD can refer to Dolby's lossless audio codec used on Blu-Rays, including most of Funi's DB Blu-Ray releases. Second, there's 240p (Low Definition, think VHS and VCD), 480i (Standard Definition, think of Laserdisc and some DVDs), 480p (Enhanced Definition, think other DVDs, especially ones based off film), 720p (apparently modern anime is animated in that resolution. Also appears on HDTV sports channels), 1080i (appears on HDTV channels that don't emphasize movement that much) and then there's "Full HD" 1080p (most Blu-Rays are this format). Third, the Kai Ep 1-98 transfer, despite the DVNR, is still fairly detailed, and in some cases is vastly superior to all other DBZ transfers, especially when it comes to contrast and dark detail. Finally, Kai (and by extension DBZ) and Super, while still taking place in the same universe, are two different series, thusly its not a fair comparison. Even with the remaster, the DBZ footage is going to show its age. Would I be wrong in saying that you don't think anything made before the past decade can even qualify as having the "best picture quality"?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am

ZodaEX wrote:You are wrong about the Kai Blu-Rays having the best picture quality of any DB release because the Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays look much much better than Kai's.
I think it's pretty obvious that he means the best picture quality of the original footage. Super is a different subject entirely.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:You are wrong about the Kai Blu-Rays having the best picture quality of any DB release because the Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays look much much better than Kai's.
I think it's pretty obvious that he means the best picture quality of the original footage. Super is a different subject entirely.
Super is every bit as much Dragon Ball as Kai is though.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
Super is every bit as much Dragon Ball as Kai is though.
Yes, but he's referring to the quality of Z footage. Kai is the best release of any Z footage to date. It's not that hard to figure out what he means.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Yes, but he's referring to the quality of Z footage. Kai is the best release of any Z footage to date. It's not that hard to figure out what he means.
Dragon Ball Kai looks really nice in high definition but the best Z looks so far? Subjective. Some would still rather prefer the Dragon Box Z with color correction or Level episodes 01-39 and the Dragon Box.

Kai TFC isn't bad but the cropping and remastering isn't even quite as good as the original Kai had it. Going from fullscreen to cropped is a bit odd.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:41 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Kai TFC isn't bad
Yes, it is. That green tint ruins everything.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:08 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Yes, it is. That green tint ruins everything.
I was thinking of the custom-made version. Color corrected + Kikuchi music (not complete). :P

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
I was thinking of the custom-made version. Color corrected + Kikuchi music (not complete). :P
Even with color correcting I still say it's bad since it was originally intended to see the entire frame. Character's hair are cutoff, you can't see certain character's asses and penises anymore, ect.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Yes, but he's referring to the quality of Z footage. Kai is the best release of any Z footage to date. It's not that hard to figure out what he means.
Dragon Ball Kai looks really nice in high definition but the best Z looks so far? Subjective. Some would still rather prefer the Dragon Box Z with color correction or Level episodes 01-39 and the Dragon Box.

Kai TFC isn't bad but the cropping and remastering isn't even quite as good as the original Kai had it. Going from fullscreen to cropped is a bit odd.
You still get more detail and more pixels out of the Kai Blu Rays. It's like the difference between a wallet sized picture and an 8x10 framed picture in your house; bigger size, more space for more detail.
Kai Final Chapters very well should have been presented in 4x3 and it's a shame we lost 30% of the footage to cropping. Hopefully one day we get Blu Ray Dragon Boxes with proper color correction, and no censorship.
ZodaEX wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Even with color correcting I still say it's bad since it was originally intended to see the entire frame. Character's hair are cutoff, you can't see certain character's asses and penises anymore, ect.
Yes please go on about how much you want to see tiny anime penis.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Dagon wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

You still get more detail and more pixels out of the Kai Blu Rays. It's like the difference between a wallet sized picture and an 8x10 framed picture in your house; bigger size, more space for more detail.
Kai Final Chapters very well should have been presented in 4x3 and it's a shame we lost 30% of the footage to cropping. Hopefully one day we get Blu Ray Dragon Boxes with proper color correction, and no censorship.
ZodaEX wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Even with color correcting I still say it's bad since it was originally intended to see the entire frame. Character's hair are cutoff, you can't see certain character's asses and penises anymore, ect.
Yes please go on about how much you want to see tiny anime penis.
The fact that they went with cropped widescreen for TFC/Kai 2.0 on both fronts was a weird decision on Toei's part, especially being that with Kai 1.0 the widescreen TV broadcast version in Japan was limited to the individual DVD volumes while the BD boxes were the proper 4:3 presentation, and over here in the States both the DVDs and Blu-Rays of all releases of episodes 1-98 were exclusively in the original fullscreen only. Even now i wonder why didn't they do the same and just keep the 16:9 exclusively on television and put them out with the original aspect ratio of the footage.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)