Best to Worst Kai Dubs

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Best to Worst Kai Dubs

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Which languages do you really think benefited from Kai?
Which ones didn't? I'd like to hear y'all's thoughts.
And just to put this out there, here's the Thai dub of Kai. It's uh.....interesting to say the least.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Best to Worst Kai Dubs

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:39 pm

-We don't really need to say that the English was a massive improvement (I did anyway, just so this topic won't devolve into that).

-When it comes to the French Dub, I'm also on Team Kai.
-As for Spanish Kai, it is, quite possibly, the most meh thing I have ever heard. They could not have forced it lower down on the "okayish-ey" scale if they tried.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:50 pm

We don't really need to say that the English was a massive improvement (I did anyway, just so this topic won't devolve into that).
Agreed
-When it comes to the French Dub, I'm also on Team Kai.
I agree even more so!
-As for Spanish Kai, it is, quite possibly, the most meh thing I have ever heard. They could not have forced it lower down on the "okayish-ey" scale if they tried.
Agreed thrice. The original Z trumps Kai in Spanish.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Two Words:BARNEY DODORIA.

The Latin American dub was a nightmare. Thank god we are starting to just reair Z instead.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:06 pm

The Brazilian dub had many recasts and horrible sound mixing but i think the acting was very good, even the replacement actors did a very good job, specially Dado Monteiro as Vegeta (not as good as Alfredo Rollo but he did great too).

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:54 am

Go to 3:07 on this video. Korean Gohan's voice is very high. Not that that's a bad thing. I like it.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 am

Bansho64 wrote:Go to 3:07 on this video. Korean Gohan's voice is very high. Not that that's a bad thing. I like it.
A bit too high, but at least the screams are clean even if it's so high. That Goku voice has to be one of the better dub voices I've heard for Goku; not too deep or "manly" without being too high, either, and seems to be able to scream properly.

Freeza, though... What did I just listen to?!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 am

sangofe wrote: A bit too high, but at least the screams are clean even if it's so high. That Goku voice has to be one of the better dub voices I've heard for Goku; not too deep or "manly" without being too high, either, and seems to be able to scream properly.

Yeah, those screams are pretty good. And like you said, the Korean Goku in Kai is pretty good as well.

I actually like this one more. He's so crazy and exciting. Those kung foo yells sound amazing and packed with a lot of force, like he's really struggling. You can find another clip of him here. The voice has a feeling or charisma that I rarely ever hear in any Goku. I wish he had been in Kai.
As for Freeza....yeah. The voice is pretty unfitting but at least it's acted awesomely.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:57 am

Bansho64 wrote:
sangofe wrote: A bit too high, but at least the screams are clean even if it's so high. That Goku voice has to be one of the better dub voices I've heard for Goku; not too deep or "manly" without being too high, either, and seems to be able to scream properly.

Yeah, those screams are pretty good. And like you said, the Korean Goku in Kai is pretty good as well.

I actually like this one more. He's so crazy and exciting. Those kung foo yells sound amazing and packed with a lot of force, like he's really struggling. You can find another clip of him here. The voice has a feeling or charisma that I rarely ever hear in any Goku. I wish he had been in Kai.
As for Freeza....yeah. The voice is pretty unfitting but at least it's acted awesomely.
I find his "kung-fu" unfitting, honestly, but I'll admit he packs quite a bit of emotions into his acting.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 am

sangofe wrote: I find his "kung-fu" unfitting, honestly, but I'll admit he packs quite a bit of emotions into his acting.
Eh, fair enough.

On that note, Cantonese Kai sounds pretty good.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
sangofe wrote: I find his "kung-fu" unfitting, honestly, but I'll admit he packs quite a bit of emotions into his acting.
Eh, fair enough.

On that note, Cantonese Kai sounds pretty good.
Yeah, Gohan sounds good.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:08 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Two Words:BARNEY DODORIA.

The Latin American dub was a nightmare. Thank god we are starting to just reair Z instead.
I always wonder why Armando Coria was cast as Dodoria, the voice he used didn't sound like John Swasey's. I would have preferred Miguel Ángel Ghigliazza to voice Dodoria if Mario Sauret couldn't.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:-As for Spanish Kai, it is, quite possibly, the most meh thing I have ever heard. They could not have forced it lower down on the "okayish-ey" scale if they tried.
I know this is from three years ago but uh, there was no actual Spanish Kai dub. There was however a Mexican-Spanish dub (better known as "Latin-Spanish", "Latino" or "LATAM"). Worth noting, I was once told that Selecta Visión was in charge of the Spanish Kai dub but as we can see, nothing happened.

That aside, Kai also got dubbed in similar Latin languages in Spain. It was dubbed in Galego and Catalàn, neither of these are really "Spanish" languages but they're (still) part of Spain as of now.