"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Wow! That's actually pretty cool I'm surprised they even bothered to make that edit! :D

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote: Oh cool, is there a video that shows this?
https://youtu.be/Rq08AfbvQ0w

Sorry for no sound. Was in the middle of work and just had time to take a quick vid.
Wow thanks! I must say, that was a pretty smart move of them so that they didn't have to go and fix every shot before the punch... er - at least before the Japanese version came along.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote: Oh cool, is there a video that shows this?

Sorry for no sound. Was in the middle of work and just had time to take a quick vid.
Wow thanks! I must say, that was a pretty smart move of them so that they didn't have to go and fix every shot before the punch... er - at least before the Japanese version came along.
I could have sworn it was like that even in the original DBZ.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 pm

TRIZACK wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:

I could have sworn it was like that even in the original DBZ.
Nope. You can see it in a video posted by another user on the previous page. In DBZ, after Gotenks punches him, Buu's eyes are instantly red when he lifts his head back up. There is no noticeable transition like there is in TFC.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Listening to my Kai TFC 2 i really think that Alexis Tipton is providing the Trunks voice for Gotenks. Can anyone confirm or deny this, it just sounds like her Trunks as opposed to Laura which honestly both do a great job just that is interesting if it is the case? Hopefully this message is under the right topic couldn't decide whether it should go here or under the Kai Funimation official dub discussion :/

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Listening to my Kai TFC 2 i really think that Alexis Tipton is providing the Trunks voice for Gotenks. Can anyone confirm or deny this, it just sounds like her Trunks as opposed to Laura which honestly both do a great job just that is interesting if it is the case? Hopefully this message is under the right topic couldn't decide whether it should go here or under the Kai Funimation official dub discussion :/
It had occurred to me that it might be the case. There are times when it does sound more like Tipton, but then another scene would clearly sound like Bailey to me. I'm honestly not sure. If it is Bailey throughout, then definite props to Tipton because there are times when they sound almost identical.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Any scene in particular that feels that way? Maybe a clip as an example? :)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

superfan2024 wrote:[
Oh cool, is there a video that shows this?

Wow! That looked pretty cool! If I didn't know it was coming, I would have been genuinely creeped out by it!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Speaking of Super Buu's eyes, they actually did something pretty cool with it in TFC. As you can see in the video posted above, in Z his eyes have suddenly changed from white to red after the punch, however, in Kai, they actually edited it so that his eyes are still white when he leans up after the punch and you can see them transition to red. At first I thought the Japanese broadcast of Buu Kai was the better product because of the edits and such, but after being able to see it for myself, I definitely think we ended up with the better product.
Remember, TFC was put together SPECIFICALLY FOR international audiences, so the international cut is what was meant to be seen from the get-go & is the finished product of it. The Japanese broadcast was meant as a placeholder in the timeslot until they made something else. It was never meant to be broadcasted in Japan, so it makes perfect sense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Scsigs wrote:The Japanese broadcast was meant as a placeholder in the timeslot until they made something else.
Quite the opposite, actually. Though Kai 2.0 was originally never meant to air in Japan, its broadcast was revived because the anime that preceded it failed. It wasn't a placeholder by any stretch.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:The Japanese broadcast was meant as a placeholder in the timeslot until they made something else.
Quite the opposite, actually. Though Kai 2.0 was originally never meant to air in Japan, its broadcast was revived because the anime that preceded it failed. It wasn't a placeholder by any stretch.
It kinda was. If they didn't put it there, the network would've given the slot to another show. They needed something quick until they finally had a new show to put there, which became Super.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Scsigs wrote:It kinda was. If they didn't put it there, the network would've given the slot to another show. They needed something quick until they finally had a new show to put there, which became Super.
That's... not untrue, but not the best framing of it, either. As if the broadcast was part of some larger plan to have a timeslot for the next year. That's not really the case, the time slot was open, and Kai was probably the easiest thing to put there.
Retired.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It kinda was. If they didn't put it there, the network would've given the slot to another show. They needed something quick until they finally had a new show to put there, which became Super.
While I do agree that it was kind of a place holder for Japan, it's the fact that it was for international markets and was never intended to be shown in Japan that has me as impressed with the product as I am. Toei is like any other company, they make decisions based on what is most economically beneficial for them. In this case, they could have easily hacked out some filler, slapped a new opening and ending on it and called it a day. This was kind of what we all expected from the get go, but being able to go through the international version now, you can tell that they did put some effort into it, however small. Is it the best that Toei can do? Of course not, but I think it definitely could have been much worse.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It kinda was. If they didn't put it there, the network would've given the slot to another show. They needed something quick until they finally had a new show to put there, which became Super.
That's... not untrue, but not the best framing of it, either. As if the broadcast was part of some larger plan to have a timeslot for the next year. That's not really the case, the time slot was open, and Kai was probably the easiest thing to put there.
Exactly my point. Over a year's worth of episodes for broadcast already being produced gave Toei a LOT of time to come up with something, so they decided to produce a new DB series rather than more movies. I'm also thinking part of adapting the movies into arcs was to give Toriyama more time to map out the future arcs at that point, given how long the episodes took to animate each. All placeholders in their own ways.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Aren't we close to that emotional part that Sean Schemmel was talking about a few years back or is that moment on this set? Its when Goku talks to Gohan before sending him off the fight Buu
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Aren't we close to that emotional part that Sean Schemmel was talking about a few years back or is that moment on this set? Its when Goku talks to Gohan before sending him off the fight Buu
It will be in the last set. Part 2 stops during the Gotenks and Super Buu fight.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Kinda weird that we're now only 23 episodes away from the end of Kai. Our waiting has finally paid off, but I feel sad that there won't be more coming anymore.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Scsigs wrote:Kinda weird that we're now only 23 episodes away from the end of Kai. Our waiting has finally paid off, but I feel sad that there won't be more coming anymore.
Guess you'll just have to jump into Super like the rest of us. Honestly... it's a miracle Kai even maintained as much attention as it has after so many years, being a total rehash and all.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Kinda weird that we're now only 23 episodes away from the end of Kai. Our waiting has finally paid off, but I feel sad that there won't be more coming anymore.
Guess you'll just have to jump into Super like the rest of us. Honestly... it's a miracle Kai even maintained as much attention as it has after so many years, being a total rehash and all.
It's not really a rehash. It's a recut. There are many FILMS that get different cuts over the years, blade Runner for instance, but people still buy the new releases to see them. Really, it's the dub that's kept people going with it, I think. The fact that it's so well done, minus a few hiccups here & there, has really brought the franchise back after so many years of not having an active TV series or manga. Then again, removing most of the filler & giving us fans a proper remaster of the series has definitely helped as well, considering how poorly FUNi has handled Z's releases, which I find weird since it's the property that put them on the map. Really, there's a lot of reasons it's kept its momentum.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Aren't we close to that emotional part that Sean Schemmel was talking about a few years back or is that moment on this set? Its when Goku talks to Gohan before sending him off the fight Buu
That's after the characters leave the Room of Spirit and Time. This set leaves off right before they fight in there.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash