"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 am

I don't know a whole lot about sound mixing, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but to me it sounds like the sound effects have too much treble, not enough bass. It only stuck out to me when there was an explosion, but it was still noticeable in other parts.
Metalwario64 wrote:but the first half of the set has the voices mixed in way too low, which defeats the purpose of watching the new dub since I can't enjoy it when just turning up the TV makes the volume of the sound effects and music way too loud, and Kaioshin's lines are so soft spoken that I literally can't understand what he says whenever his theme is playing at the same time.
I haven't had that issue, myself. Granted, I haven't watched through the entirety of the first half dubbed yet, as I initially went straight to the episodes that haven't yet aired on Toonami, but I have watched a few scenes that didn't appear to have issues.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 am

Okay, I've finally gotten around to checking disc 2 with my headphones, and there it's not as bad, but there are instances where the music and sound effects are a bit too loud in comparison to the voices.

At least now I can tolerate it as it is, and I'll just look forward to the next part and hope that something truly terrible doesn't go wrong with the mixing (at least, the tinny sound effects in the last few episodes is definitely an actual problem). I also apologize for getting snappy with anyone over this, because even if it was as bad as I thought it was, I acted a bit childish earlier in the thread.

[EDIT] I also just checked disc 1, and here's a rather noticeable example of the voices being too low. Also, in the second clip, it shows that in the early episodes, the narrator is too loud. I mean, in the latter example, I could turn it up to where the voices were a comfortable volume, but when certain sound effects and the narrator kick in, it makes them too loud.

At least, this doesn't seem to be a problem since episode 112 at least, so maybe the volume levels (and hopefully the sound effects) will be okay in the next part. Again, I can at least tolerate it, but the mixing in these episodes isn't as well done as the first Kai. Again, the volume levels are perfect in the 3rd and 4th discs, but the sound effects are muffled and tinny on those episodes.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 am

From online clips, the most noticeable example of muffled sound effects to me is the Vegeta vs. Pui Pui fight.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 am

Tobi555 wrote:From online clips, the most noticeable example of muffled sound effects to me is the Vegeta vs. Pui Pui fight.
I also have a short clip of comparisons of the muffled/tinny sound effects with the Japanese audio.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 am

Yea I've seen it before thanks for posting that. :thumbup: I'm usually not nit picky with anything Dragon Ball related but meh whatever...poor Kai always something happening to it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:07 am

Tobi555 wrote:Yea I've seen it before thanks for posting that. :thumbup: I'm usually not nit picky with anything Dragon Ball related but meh whatever...poor Kai always something happening to it.
Hehe, yep. The dub's audio mix is just another flaw to add to the list. :lol:

Also, I can confirm that the muffled sound effects indeed start right at the beginning of disc 3. The sound effect and narrator volume are also lower than the previous discs, which at least is an upside.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:14 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Also, I can confirm that the muffled sound effects indeed start right at the beginning of disc 3. The sound effect and narrator volume are also lower than the previous discs, which at least is an upside.
So it seems like the mixing is all over the place then instead of being "consistently bad"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:18 am

Tobi555 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Also, I can confirm that the muffled sound effects indeed start right at the beginning of disc 3. The sound effect and narrator volume are also lower than the previous discs, which at least is an upside.
So it seems like the mixing is all over the place then instead of being "consistently bad"
Yeah, the first two discs have clean sound effects, but they and the narrator's volume is a bit too high (and sometimes the music is as well), but with disc 3 and 4, they're at an appropriate volume, but the sound effects have that muffled, yet tinny sound to them.

At least, episode 112 (the last episode on disc 2) has clean sound effects and a good mix, with the voices standing out appropriately.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Yeah, the first two discs have clean sound effects, but they and the narrator's volume is a bit too high (and sometimes the music is as well), but with disc 3 and 4, they're at an appropriate volume, but the sound effects have that muffled, yet tinny sound to them.

At least, episode 112 (the last episode on disc 2) has clean sound effects and a good mix, with the voices standing out appropriately.
Huh, now I'm even more curious how "consistent" Part 2 and 3 are gonna be :lol: Hopefully, it's not too bad

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 am

I, too, noticed the drowned-out dialog in a lot of the episodes. From listening to it, it sounds like a simple case of the center channel in the 5.1 mix being too low. I haven't verified it myself, but I'll bet that could easily be fixed by dragging the audio track into audacity or some other audio editing software and just raising the center channel's volume a little bit. Either that, or the Front Left and Front Right channels are too high. The Narrator's dialog has always been included in all three of those channels in previous Kai releases, so that's why he's so loud while everyone else is so quiet (even when mixed correctly, he's always a little bit louder). In any case, it's a technical error on Funimation's part and hopefully they fix it for future manufactured sets. It would also be nice of them to offer replacements of the affected discs for those who already purchased it. I would suggest contacting Funimation about it to make sure that they are aware of the issue.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:29 am

What regions are the Blurays?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 pm

songohan619 wrote:What regions are the Blurays?
Region A only.

Jugulator95

Post by Jugulator95 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Did anyone else notice, on the first episode during the recap, there is a sub mistake. It says that the destruction of No. 17 caused Gohan to transform, instead of No. 16.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Jugulator95 wrote:Did anyone else notice, on the first episode during the recap, there is a sub mistake. It says that the destruction of No. 17 caused Gohan to transform, instead of No. 16.
I saw on twitter. It's not a huge deal though, everyone knows it's #16 being referenced. Don't expect a fix or anything.
Retired.

Jugulator95

Post by Jugulator95 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Jugulator95 wrote:Did anyone else notice, on the first episode during the recap, there is a sub mistake. It says that the destruction of No. 17 caused Gohan to transform, instead of No. 16.
I saw on twitter. It's not a huge deal though, everyone knows it's #16 being referenced. Don't expect a fix or anything.
It's definitely not a big deal, especially since it is a recap, most people will probably skip anyway. I just find it weird they let it slip in.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Jugulator95 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It's definitely not a big deal, especially since it is a recap, most people will probably skip anyway. I just find it weird they let it slip in.
Larger subtitle mistakes have been left in for years. The big one that comes to mind is when Trunks says he wrote "HOPE" on the time machine. In every version of the official subs, as well as both dubs have Trunks saying Bulma wrote it. It's a mistake that even carried over to Kai, which was translated from scratch. It's not too big a surprise.
Retired.

Jugulator95

Post by Jugulator95 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Jugulator95 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I saw on twitter. It's not a huge deal though, everyone knows it's #16 being referenced. Don't expect a fix or anything.
Larger subtitle mistakes have been left in for years. The big one that comes to mind is when Trunks says he wrote "HOPE" on the time machine. In every version of the official subs, as well as both dubs have Trunks saying Bulma wrote it. It's a mistake that even carried over to Kai, which was translated from scratch. It's not too big a surprise.
There is also one in Super, in the 2nd episode when Vegeta is at the concert thinking to himself, he says that he beat Boo. I told Sabat on Twitter, and he said it was a mistake from Simmions. He also said, that it will be fixed for the home release.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:43 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:I, too, noticed the drowned-out dialog in a lot of the episodes. From listening to it, it sounds like a simple case of the center channel in the 5.1 mix being too low. I haven't verified it myself, but I'll bet that could easily be fixed by dragging the audio track into audacity or some other audio editing software and just raising the center channel's volume a little bit. Either that, or the Front Left and Front Right channels are too high. The Narrator's dialog has always been included in all three of those channels in previous Kai releases, so that's why he's so loud while everyone else is so quiet (even when mixed correctly, he's always a little bit louder). In any case, it's a technical error on Funimation's part and hopefully they fix it for future manufactured sets. It would also be nice of them to offer replacements of the affected discs for those who already purchased it. I would suggest contacting Funimation about it to make sure that they are aware of the issue.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it then.

I doubt they'd listen to the complaint of one single individual though, so I'm hoping some others will notify them about it.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am

Metalwario64 wrote:It's annoying because I popped the disc in, and noticed how clear the narrator sounded in the recap, but I could barely hear the character's voices in dialog in the recap, which I shrugged off, and I was hoping that the only audio issues were during the last two discs (3 and 4 have muffled sound effects). During the episode, they weren't as quiet, but they were still noticeably too low in volume, and the music and especially the sound effects were too loud compared to them. At the end when the narrator kicks in, you can tell how he's way louder than anyone else. It's very annoying having to turn it up and have the sound effects be too loud, and it doesn't help at all when Kaioshin is talking softly and his theme is completely drowning out his dialog.
I had the same problem with the Season 3 set. (Where dialogue was too quiet and sound effects were too loud) I don't know if it's because of the audio being mixed in 5.1 but the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F blu-rays sounded fine (as does any other movie I own that has 5.1 audio) so this seems to be an issue that's exclusive to Kai.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Hey guys, just a reminder part two comes out this month... :) and next month we will have the third and final part of Z Kai! (Gotta keep pinching myself can't believe this is actually a reality). I do also think it is pretty funny that we have different scores for each of the major arcs!