"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
ABED wrote:Why would you want a 4 disc set? The Blu Rays can easily accommodate more episodes.
Yes, but more discs mean more episodes as well. A disc can only hold so many episodes.
I know that, but 23 episodes per set is a good amount. It's like a full season of US network TV show.
Yeah, but considering their Blu-Rays are, most likely, the 25GB variants, every episode in HD is roughly 1GB, maybe a little over, so they could've maybe included several more episodes per disc & had a fourth to really only need 2 sets, but they figured 23 episodes per set would be ok, which it is.
I'm not saying it's wrong that they're doing it they way they are, I'm just saying that there was a few ways to go about it, but hey 7 sets, 7 Dragon Balls, I'm fine with it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:17 pm

But is the image quality that much better for DB Kai on Blu Ray than it was on DVD?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

ABED wrote:But is the image quality that much better for DB Kai on Blu Ray than it was on DVD?
I'm assuming it is, considering it was given an HD remaster. A proper one, unlike the Z Blu-Rays. A slightly cheaper one than the first part, but still better than FUNi's cheap-ass attempts.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Is the sound mixing thing a DVD and blu ray issue? If so that's a huge bummer, it's kinda bothersome but I'll have to put up with it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Tobi555 wrote:Is the sound mixing thing a DVD and blu ray issue? If so that's a huge bummer, it's kinda bothersome but I'll have to put up with it.
The only thing that a few have noticed is some things, mainly sound effects, being softer in the English track than the Japanese. Personally, I didn't notice anything drastic until I saw a comparison video, so it's all a matter of personal experience & opinion. It didn't detract for me, so it's up to you.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Yea, I saw many clips and it's pretty noticeable to me but whatever I've waited way to long for Kai anyways.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Watching One Piece Heart of Gold, I just figured out exactly EXACTLY why I don't mind Colleen Clinkenbeard as Luffy, but I HATE her as Gohan. It sort of has to do with the voice getting grating after a while, but it's mainly that the deeper she goes with the voice, the more tolerable it gets to where it's actually good. As Luffy, she's deepened the voice over the years & has gotten better as a voice actress, but even at the beginning of One Piece, the voice wasn't that bad. When it's higher pitched, & that's all you get for many episodes, the voice gets ANNOYING beyond belief really fast. Say what you will about Nodolny, but her voice was at least something else than "generic little boy" voice & was distinct. Plus, you could see a Shonen hero boy with that voice. Gohan maybe was a bit too young at the beginning of the series, but at the later half of the Cell saga, that voice is PERFECT for him, same as Goku when he was young.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 pm

I popped in disc 2 last night, and while in that disc the narrator and sound effects aren't muffled, in those episodes the voices are way too low volume. I have to turn the TV way up, and whenever sound effects or music kick in, they're very drowned out (and it makes the sound effects waaay too loud). I can hardly make out what Kaioshin is saying since he's talking softly to begin with. Of course, when I switch to the Japanese track, the voices are much louder (the correct volume, in other words) in these episodes.

What the hell happened to FUNimation's audio mixing? This really needs correcting, and if FUNimation won't offer replacement discs, they better damn well at least fix this by the next set, or else all of my interest in Buu Kai is completely gone. It's amazing that something I was so looking forward to is not only marred by flaws in the source material (poor remastering/ Sumitomo's score), but is even further hindered by FUNimation adding further problems to the dub, and that was the only thing I was looking forward to in Buu Kai, and the low voices in one disc, and muffled sound effects in another make it very unenjoyable.

At first I was worried these were DVD only problems, but this video claims to be from the Blu-ray, and it has that same muffled sound effect and narrator issue.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:What the hell happened to FUNimation's audio mixing ?
This whole show has been inconsistent in many ways so this is just one more thing to add to the list.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

I just tweeted at Funi about it hopefully something comes out of it. :/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

It's annoying because I popped the disc in, and noticed how clear the narrator sounded in the recap, but I could barely hear the character's voices in dialog in the recap, which I shrugged off, and I was hoping that the only audio issues were during the last two discs (3 and 4 have muffled sound effects). During the episode, they weren't as quiet, but they were still noticeably too low in volume, and the music and especially the sound effects were too loud compared to them. At the end when the narrator kicks in, you can tell how he's way louder than anyone else. It's very annoying having to turn it up and have the sound effects be too loud, and it doesn't help at all when Kaioshin is talking softly and his theme is completely drowning out his dialog.

The Japanese audio levels I checked on the spot back and forth, and to be expected, they were fine.
sintzu wrote:
This whole show has been inconsistent in many ways so this is just one more thing to add to the list.
It is, and if nothing's done about it by at least the next set (I don't care too much about these episodes, and I can tolerate the quiet, muffled sound effects of discs 3 and 4), then I'm probably done with Kai, as that's basically the straw that broke the camel's back.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

See I can put up with the cropping, the colors, etc. but muffled sound effects totally destroys it for me. If I can't hear clear DBZ sound effects from the fights then it's lost me, but I can't leave my Kai collection in-complete after all this time, I'm gonna have to give in on this one I guess. Ugh Funi how'd this happen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
It is, and if nothing's done about it by at least the next set (I don't care too much about these episodes, and I can tolerate the quiet, muffled sound effects of discs 3 and 4), then I'm probably done with Kai, as that's basically the straw that broke the camel's back.
You guys are kinda being a bit bitchy, aren't you? I understand wanting the audio to be better mixed, but giving up on the better dub just because the audio mixing's slightly poor is a bit much, especially if you just use a TV's speakers without a lot of dynamics, you don't notice it unless you specifically look for it.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I never said I wasn't getting it. Just wondered how Funi let this through. It's just that ever since it was pointed out I can tell that every scene I watch is muffled and it sucks. Oh well, maybe it's because I'm wearing headphones? Maybe that'll change on the TV.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Scsigs wrote:You guys are kinda being a bit bitchy, aren't you? I understand wanting the audio to be better mixed, but giving up on the better dub just because the audio mixing's slightly poor is a bit much, especially if you just use a TV's speakers without a lot of dynamics, you don't notice it unless you specifically look for it.
Oh yeah, I'm just bitching because I can't hear half of the dialog and when I turn up the TV, I have the sound effects blasting through the house. :roll: :roll:

I could tolerate the muffled sound effects in the later episodes, as I've said, but the first half of the set has the voices mixed in way too low, which defeats the purpose of watching the new dub since I can't enjoy it when just turning up the TV makes the volume of the sound effects and music way too loud, and Kaioshin's lines are so soft spoken that I literally can't understand what he says whenever his theme is playing at the same time.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:You guys are kinda being a bit bitchy, aren't you? I understand wanting the audio to be better mixed, but giving up on the better dub just because the audio mixing's slightly poor is a bit much, especially if you just use a TV's speakers without a lot of dynamics, you don't notice it unless you specifically look for it.
Oh yeah, I'm just bitching because I can't hear half of the dialog and when I turn up the TV, I have the sound effects blasting through the house. :roll: :roll:

I could tolerate the muffled sound effects in the later episodes, as I've said, but the first half of the set has the voices mixed in way too low, which defeats the purpose of watching the new dub since I can't enjoy it when just turning up the TV makes the volume of the sound effects and music way too loud, and Kaioshin's lines are so soft spoken that I literally can't understand what he says whenever his theme is playing at the same time.
I don't own the set, so I can't be sure, but are you listening to the dub track in surround or stereo? The track would natively be 5.1, and I know the 5.1 Kikuchi Z track had criminally quiet music after a downmix. Depending on how they handled the multi-channel mix, since they have more freedom with Kai, your problems could also be the result of the downmixing.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I only have stereo speakers.

This was never a problem in their previous Kai sets.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I only have stereo speakers.

This was never a problem in their previous Kai sets.
I would confirm it, but I kinda decided not to buy the sets on a hunch. Lucky me, huh? Even if that is the problem, there's not much you can do about it other than buying and setting up surround speakers (or headphones). Try tinkering with your TV's audio settings, maybe you can make it listenable, at least.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:

I, literally, did NOT have this problem & my TV's speakers are regular speakers too. I heard everyone when they spoke & the sound effects were fine too. I've never had a problem on the 5.1 tracks on any FUNi release before, so it's probably your sound settings.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:01 am

Scsigs wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

I, literally, did NOT have this problem & my TV's speakers are regular speakers too. I heard everyone when they spoke & the sound effects were fine too. I've never had a problem on the 5.1 tracks on any FUNi release before, so it's probably your sound settings.
It's not that big of a deal for me, but I definitely noticed the sound effects sounded slightly muffled. I also tested Kai part 8 and Resurrection 'F to make sure my TV wasn't the problem, and they both sounded fine.