"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10199
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think we'll get a DBS movie next year that way the DBS brand will have 1+ year to settle overseas, thus Toei can do what they did with "F" and roll the film out pretty quick and count all the $$$.
If it's from Toriyama do you think they'll turn it into an arc later down the line instead of slice of life episodes to give Toriyama time to write a new arc for Super ?
It is a possibility, but I think if Toriyama is involved I think they'll request him to write a self contained story so that way if they do or don't retell it in the series it doesn't matter. But I think Toriyama is pretty ahead of schedule, apparently he wrote the Black arc in Feb of last year and he probably should be well under way writing the arc after U.S one, if he hasn't finished already!

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is a possibility, but I think if Toriyama is involved I think they'll request him to write a self contained story so that way if they do or don't retell it in the series it doesn't matter. But I think Toriyama is pretty ahead of schedule, apparently he wrote the Black arc in Feb of last year and he probably should be well under way writing the arc after U.S one, if he hasn't finished already!
Considering the One Piece movies Eiichiro Oda has written, that wouldn't be surprising if they had him write a movie like that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10199
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is a possibility, but I think if Toriyama is involved I think they'll request him to write a self contained story so that way if they do or don't retell it in the series it doesn't matter. But I think Toriyama is pretty ahead of schedule, apparently he wrote the Black arc in Feb of last year and he probably should be well under way writing the arc after U.S one, if he hasn't finished already!
Considering the One Piece movies Eiichiro Oda has written, that wouldn't be surprising if they had him write a movie like that.
How many movies has he written for Toei? And are any events from them ever mentioned in the anime proper?

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is a possibility, but I think if Toriyama is involved I think they'll request him to write a self contained story so that way if they do or don't retell it in the series it doesn't matter. But I think Toriyama is pretty ahead of schedule, apparently he wrote the Black arc in Feb of last year and he probably should be well under way writing the arc after U.S one, if he hasn't finished already!
Considering the One Piece movies Eiichiro Oda has written, that wouldn't be surprising if they had him write a movie like that.
How many movies has he written for Toei? And are any events from them ever mentioned in the anime proper?
He personally laid out the stories for Strong World, Film: Z, & Film: Gold. All of the other movies, so far, have been slightly mashed-up & shortened retellings of previous arcs that vary in quality & success.
Strong World got a chapter 0 manga setting up its main villain & a 4-episode mini-arc (in the middle of an already ongoing one). It's not really badly contradicted by anything later & easily takes place between Thriller Bark & Sabaody Archipelago. Plus, I believe, Oda's said it's canon. (Though the wiki states it's not, since the only inconsistency is Brook's first fight with the crew, which was stated to be at the beginning of the Sabaody arc in both the anime & the manga).
Film: Z was meant to be canon, but Oda later made some decisions for the manga that pushed it out of continuity with both it & the anime. It got prequel episodes though.
Film: Gold isn't either because it contradicts stuff set up before it, logically, takes place. Though it DID get a special before it came out.
This doesn't account for each film's quality though. Strong World's good, but lacking in some areas, Film: Z is great, & I haven't seen Gold yet, but I don't expect it to be bad by any means.
Coincidentally, these are also the only movies, with the Alabasta retelling that FUNi used as a test for most of its dub cast, to be dubbed & released. They don't seem to be interested in dubbing the rest at this point in time. Considering that they're all movie retellings, I don't blame them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10199
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Considering the One Piece movies Eiichiro Oda has written, that wouldn't be surprising if they had him write a movie like that.
How many movies has he written for Toei? And are any events from them ever mentioned in the anime proper?
He personally laid out the stories for Strong World, Film: Z, & Film: Gold. All of the other movies, so far, have been slightly mashed-up & shortened retellings of previous arcs that vary in quality & success.
Strong World got a chapter 0 manga setting up its main villain & a 4-episode mini-arc (in the middle of an already ongoing one). It's not really badly contradicted by anything later & easily takes place between Thriller Bark & Sabaody Archipelago. Plus, I believe, Oda's said it's canon. (Though the wiki states it's not, since the only inconsistency is Brook's first fight with the crew, which was stated to be at the beginning of the Sabaody arc in both the anime & the manga).
Film: Z was meant to be canon, but Oda later made some decisions for the manga that pushed it out of continuity with both it & the anime. It got prequel episodes though.
Film: Gold isn't either because it contradicts stuff set up before it, logically, takes place. Though it DID get a special before it came out.
This doesn't account for each film's quality though. Strong World's good, but lacking in some areas, Film: Z is great, & I haven't seen Gold yet, but I don't expect it to be bad by any means.
Coincidentally, these are also the only movies, with the Alabasta retelling that FUNi used as a test for most of its dub cast, to be dubbed & released. They don't seem to be interested in dubbing the rest at this point in time. Considering that they're all movie retellings, I don't blame them.
That's some pretty interesting stuff. I think the added benefit for Toei that DBS is concerned is there isn't any on going source material to worry about. But Toei retold arcs in movie form for OP? Hmmm. They could potentially do the same for DBS then...

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Toei retold arcs in movie form for OP? Hmmm. They could potentially do the same for DBS then...
The last 2 Toei One Piece movies were that, arc retellings but due to them doing so bad financially they decided to bring in Oda as their movie writer so I'm not sure they'll retell Super's arcs if those 2 movies' failure is anything to go by.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10199
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Toei retold arcs in movie form for OP? Hmmm. They could potentially do the same for DBS then...
The last 2 Toei One Piece movies were that, arc retellings but due to them doing so bad financially they decided to bring in Oda as their movie writer so I'm not sure they'll retell Super's arcs if those 2 movies' failure is anything to go by.
Well that's relief, despite the lure of more solid and consistent animation would definitely prefer something new.

User avatar
OLKv3
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Bit sad the "Welcome to the end of your life, and I promise it'll hurt" line isn't back.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2028
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:25 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Bit sad the "Welcome to the end of your life, and I promise it'll hurt" line isn't back.
Honestly? I thought it was just all kinds of cheesy. In trading those, we get these damn awesome lines that sound way more awesome and more like something I could actually hear coming out of someone's mouth. I mean, they actually had him say "Hell no" to Babidi.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10199
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Sucked that there was no episode count on the reverse sleeve. FUNi definitely should have used the Gohan vs Goten art work as the main. The episodes where distrusted on the discs well (on the BD that is).
Bansho64 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Bit sad the "Welcome to the end of your life, and I promise it'll hurt" line isn't back.
Honestly? I thought it was just all kinds of cheesy. In trading those, we get these damn awesome lines that sound way more awesome and more like something I could actually hear coming out of someone's mouth. I mean, they actually had him say "Hell no" to Babidi.
That made me sooo ah I just can't describe that was an awesome moment!

User avatar
ErikB
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:23 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by ErikB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 pm

I was just at a local Walmart and Kai was playing on the TVs.
Image
It was pretty cool to see.

User avatar
Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: Garner, NC
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm

ErikB wrote:I was just at a local Walmart and Kai was playing on the TVs.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It was pretty cool to see.
I think that's neat, but that's not really the best way to present the visual fidelity of the TVs, given the quality of the remaster.
Scsigs wrote:All of the other movies, so far, have been slightly mashed-up & shortened retellings of previous arcs that vary in quality & success....
Scsigs wrote:They don't seem to be interested in dubbing the rest at this point in time. Considering that they're all movie retellings, I don't blame them.
Actually, only a couple of the One Piece movies were retellings, and Funimation has already dubbed one of those two. The part about "varying quality & success" is definitely true, though. As much as I'd love to see those earlier movies dubbed, I don't know how likely it is that they will be anytime soon.
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776


Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
ErikB wrote:I was just at a local Walmart and Kai was playing on the TVs.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It was pretty cool to see.
I think that's neat, but that's not really the best way to present the visual fidelity of the TVs, given the quality of the remaster.
Scsigs wrote:All of the other movies, so far, have been slightly mashed-up & shortened retellings of previous arcs that vary in quality & success....
Scsigs wrote:They don't seem to be interested in dubbing the rest at this point in time. Considering that they're all movie retellings, I don't blame them.
Actually, only a couple of the One Piece movies were retellings, and Funimation has already dubbed one of those two. The part about "varying quality & success" is definitely true, though. As much as I'd love to see those earlier movies dubbed, I don't know how likely it is that they will be anytime soon.
Maybe once they finally catch up & have to wait for more episodes to be made.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:44 pm

What type of case do these use ? the normal Blu-ray case or the bigger ones that Kai's seaosn sets used ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:51 pm

sintzu wrote:What type of case do these use ? the normal Blu-ray case or the bigger ones that Kai's seasosn sets used ?
Normal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-BGS7z9TI.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:06 pm

Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:What type of case do these use ? the normal Blu-ray case or the bigger ones that Kai's seasosn sets used ?
Normal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-BGS7z9TI.
Thanks, I was hoping they'd use the bigger ones to match the seasons but it's not a big deal.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:11 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:What type of case do these use ? the normal Blu-ray case or the bigger ones that Kai's seasosn sets used ?
Normal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-BGS7z9TI.
Thanks, I was hoping they'd use the bigger ones to match the seasons but it's not a big deal.
And I was hoping they'd have 4 discs per set, but there are only 3, sadly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15861
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Why would you want a 4 disc set? The Blu Rays can easily accommodate more episodes

- The acting is really good, the dialog is a huge improvement over Z, but not quite as good as Kai's best, and the pacing is definitely an improvement over Z's.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:43 pm

ABED wrote:Why would you want a 4 disc set? The Blu Rays can easily accommodate more episodes.
Yes, but more discs mean more episodes as well. A disc can only hold so many episodes.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15861
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Scsigs wrote:
ABED wrote:Why would you want a 4 disc set? The Blu Rays can easily accommodate more episodes.
Yes, but more discs mean more episodes as well. A disc can only hold so many episodes.
I know that, but 23 episodes per set is a good amount. It's like a full season of US network TV show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply