Funimation Kai boo saga Blu Ray vs Funimation DBZ Blu Ray(Boo saga)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Kai boo saga Blu Ray vs Funimation DBZ Blu Ray(Boo saga)

Post by SX10 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: As for the masters, no. Unless someone's gonna run a fan project to alter the colors, which all there is is an annoying green tint, there's virtually no differences between Japan's masters & the international masters.
If you know where to look, this actually exists.
In addition to removing the green tint, the color correction also brings out much more detail in dark areas.
Is this available in the fan created content section?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:31 am

DHM211 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: As for the masters, no. Unless someone's gonna run a fan project to alter the colors, which all there is is an annoying green tint, there's virtually no differences between Japan's masters & the international masters.
In addition to removing the green tint, the color correction also brings out much more detail in dark areas.
Where is this from?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am

DHM211 wrote:If you know where to look, this actually exists.
Never seen Dragon Ball Kai Majin Boo arc with this type of picture quality fidelity but how I'd love to watch it now.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 am

I know where that's from, but they didn't do a very good job. It's still green.

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am

Ajay wrote:I know where that's from, but they didn't do a very good job. It's still green.

I think they did a pretty good job. Vegeta is naturally more tanned than most of the other characters, and if the image was tilted more towards pink like you did, most characters would have ended up with pink skin.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am

Which is how they should look. Goku's hair is tinted green in your original shot.

They didn't do a great job.

I literally own cels from this arc. I know how the character should look.

Deadtuber.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 am

Ajay wrote:Which is how they should look. Goku's hair is tinted green in your original shot.

They didn't do a great job.

I literally own cels from this arc. I know how the character should look.
Awesome, glad that you own cels from this arc. The Buu arc definitely had some of the most aesthetically pleasing shots in all of DB :thumbup: .
I guess it just comes down to personal preference, and I think they did a fine job.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 am

DHM211 wrote:Awesome, glad that you own cels from this arc. The Buu arc definitely had some of the most aesthetically pleasing shots in all of DB :thumbup: .
I guess it just comes down to personal preference, and I think they did a fine job.
As far as whether you like what they did or not, that's of course entirely subjective, and I wouldn't take that away from you.

These things are measurable though:

They needed to push the blues more to properly balance the image and remove the tint.

Deadtuber.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:48 am

I don't think a lot of fans would notice the green tint or have a problem with it unless it was pointed out to them, which it has been to death.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Scsigs wrote:Kai: TFC was never supposed to air in Japan originally, since Kai didn't do too well over there in terms of toy sales or, apparently, fan reception. However, the series did very well overseas, mainly in America, where we received a better dub than Z got that, while it's got its detractors, is a very different & better dub than Z's was. Although, France also got a better dub same as us & I think Brazil did too, since the French dub of Z was really bad & the Portuguese dub was more of a gag dub on their parts.
Actually, no. Brazil's Kai dub wasn't better than Brazil's Z dub. To clarify, Brazil and Portugal have their own dubs. The Portugal Portuguese dub (singular) is the gaggy one, and due to its AB Groupe French heritage, its dub of DB and DBZ has a script that is worse than Brazil's dubs at their very best and possibly even at their very worst. Even though its accuracy increased in GT and Super, the Portugal Portuguese dub still has a gag feel to it and still makes accuracy-related mistakes (like saying that Goku is in the equivalent of Super Saiyan Rose when he first goes SSG in the Tournament of Power).

Brazil, on the other hand, has several dubs. The major ones include the Alamo dub, which covered the entirety of the DB and DBZ series, all 17 classic DB/DBZ movies, and the two Z specials. Also notable is the DPN dub, which covered DB ep 61-153 and all of GT. These dubs are based off the already highly accurate Latino Spanish dub, but at least the Alamo dub also uses a manga translation to fix errors even the Latino dub kept. Skipping ahead is the BKS dub of DB Movies 1-3 (using Latino Spanish as a base) and more relevantly Kai 1.0 (using Nicktoons Kai as a base). Although BKS apparently had access to manga translations for their Kai dub, the dub had various problems like questionable audio mixing...not to mention people being upset at the censored base. From what I understand, the BKS dub of Kai is considered fairly inferior to the Alamo Z dub. Later came Sigma's dub of Kai 2.0, which used Funi's (uncut?) materials and from what I've heard didn't even bother with manga corrections. Finally there is the Unidub version of BOG, Res 'F', and Super... all of which use materials directly from Japan.

There are other dubs, of course, which are mentioned in this Google Docs spreadsheet mentioned here. I just went over what was relevant with this conversation.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Actually, no. Brazil's Kai dub wasn't better than Brazil's Z dub. To clarify, Brazil and Portugal have their own dubs. The Portugal Portuguese dub (singular) is the gaggy one, and due to its AB Groupe French heritage, its dub of DB and DBZ has a script that is worse than Brazil's dubs at their very best and possibly even at their very worst. Even though its accuracy increased in GT and Super, the Portugal Portuguese dub still has a gag feel to it and still makes accuracy-related mistakes (like saying that Goku is in the equivalent of Super Saiyan Rose when he first goes SSG in the Tournament of Power).

Brazil, on the other hand, has several dubs. The major ones include the Alamo dub, which covered the entirety of the DB and DBZ series, all 17 classic DB/DBZ movies, and the two Z specials. Also notable is the DPN dub, which covered DB ep 61-153 and all of GT. These dubs are based off the already highly accurate Latino Spanish dub, but at least the Alamo dub also uses a manga translation to fix errors even the Latino dub kept. Skipping ahead is the BKS dub of DB Movies 1-3 (using Latino Spanish as a base) and more relevantly Kai 1.0 (using Nicktoons Kai as a base). Although BKS apparently had access to manga translations for their Kai dub, the dub had various problems like questionable audio mixing...not to mention people being upset at the censored base. From what I understand, the BKS dub of Kai is considered fairly inferior to the Alamo Z dub. Later came Sigma's dub of Kai 2.0, which used Funi's (uncut?) materials and from what I've heard didn't even bother with manga corrections. Finally there is the Unidub version of BOG, Res 'F', and Super... all of which use materials directly from Japan.

There are other dubs, of course, which are mentioned in this Google Docs spreadsheet mentioned here. I just went over what was relevant with this conversation.
This. The Brazilian dub has always been highly regarded as some of the best for Dragon Ball series/movies and other shows as well as films, whereas the Portuguese dub.. oh dear God, they made a mockery out of the series and turned it into a soap opera with stuff that had nothing to do with it and even now they can't do a good job at it either.

To be fair, Portuguese dubs have always been pretty wacky in that they're not given the respect and quality they deserve and are treated like shitty, fast-food. Dragon Ball Super's Portuguese dub is dare I say, even worse than the Dragon Ball Z dub because of the amount of VA mistakes they have done while on DBZ at least they knew what they were doing and took it seriously (well, in the sense they did their job and didn't fuck it up).

Quality Portuguese dubs, in my opinion: D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Kaiketsu Zorro, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball - Movie 4: Path to Power, Inspector Gadget, Once Upon A Time..., and a bunch of other anime/non-anime series and movies.

Goku on the Portuguese dubs is called "Songoku" 99.9% of the time but on DB M4 he was actually referred to as Goku which was rather a breath of fresh air and that dub gave a level of high standards that Dragon Ball PT dubs never had before. Also, on the GT dub there was one instance Goku called Majin Boo as Majin Boo than the moronic "Boo Boo" name.

Pêpê Rapazote is a Portuguese actor which I love (he played Chepe in Narcos and also Nando in Shameless) but in Portugal he's not given the recognition and praise he deserves. I love Portugal my native homeland, as the relaxing calm country that it is but if you'd actually want to work in voice-acting and as an actor then you're shit out of luck, either you'd play roles in garbage soap operas or be part of horrid dubs. No surprise Rapazote is going the extra mile.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 pm

[spoiler]
Danfun64 wrote:Actually, no. Brazil's Kai dub wasn't better than Brazil's Z dub. To clarify, Brazil and Portugal have their own dubs. The Portugal Portuguese dub (singular) is the gaggy one, and due to its AB Groupe French heritage, its dub of DB and DBZ has a script that is worse than Brazil's dubs at their very best and possibly even at their very worst. Even though its accuracy increased in GT and Super, the Portugal Portuguese dub still has a gag feel to it and still makes accuracy-related mistakes (like saying that Goku is in the equivalent of Super Saiyan Rose when he first goes SSG in the Tournament of Power).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
JohnnyCashKami wrote:This. The Brazilian dub has always been highly regarded as some of the best for Dragon Ball series/movies and other shows as well as films, whereas the Portuguese dub.. oh dear God, they made a mockery out of the series and turned it into a soap opera with stuff that had nothing to do with it and even now they can't do a good job at it either.

To be fair, Portuguese dubs have always been pretty wacky in that they're not given the respect and quality they deserve and are treated like shitty, fast-food. Dragon Ball Super's Portuguese dub is dare I say, even worse than the Dragon Ball Z dub because of the amount of VA mistakes they have done while on DBZ at least they knew what they were doing and took it seriously (well, in the sense they did their job and didn't fuck it up).

Quality Portuguese dubs, in my opinion: D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Kaiketsu Zorro, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball - Movie 4: Path to Power, Inspector Gadget, Once Upon A Time..., and a bunch of other anime/non-anime series and movies.

Goku on the Portuguese dubs is called "Songoku" 99.9% of the time but on DB M4 he was actually referred to as Goku which was rather a breath of fresh air and that dub gave a level of high standards that Dragon Ball PT dubs never had before. Also, on the GT dub there was one instance Goku called Majin Boo as Majin Boo than the moronic "Boo Boo" name.

Pêpê Rapazote is a Portuguese actor which I love (he played Chepe in Narcos and also Nando in Shameless) but in Portugal he's not given the recognition and praise he deserves. I love Portugal my native homeland, as the relaxing calm country that it is but if you'd actually want to work in voice-acting and as an actor then you're shit out of luck, either you'd play roles in garbage soap operas or be part of horrid dubs. No surprise Rapazote is going the extra mile.
[/spoiler]

Ok, I got some things wrong. I was just going off of some things I heard or read elsewhere. I knew it was in Portuguese, but I didn't know there were multiple dubs made in Brazil. I knew their Z dub was a joke, but I had no idea that more than that was just as bad. I thought they tried to fix their problems, like FUNi did, after Z, but I guess not.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am

In Angola they also speak in Portuguese, their Portuguese is closer to the original Portuguese whereas Brazil kept most of the Portuguese vocabulary but added new Brazil-only words to it and their own accent. That's not to say Portuguese can't understand Brazilians but there's definitely an obvious difference.

It would have been interesting if Angola ever made a Dragon Ball dub of their own. :P

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:39 am

DHM211 wrote:
(image)
I am trying out some editing myself. I currently have Sony Vegas and Photoshop. Would that be enough to get the colors right or would I have to use something else?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:43 am

Dagon wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
(image)
I am trying out some editing myself. I currently have Sony Vegas and Photoshop. Would that be enough to get the colors right or would I have to use something else?
There are entire threads on this site about color correcting the series. From what I can tell, all you have to do is tone down the green in the coloring from what I know.