Chi Chi's voice seems off

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Fionordequester » Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:When she talks normally as Chi Chi she slurs her words a lot like she's drunk, but when she yells her voice cracks. I think she should have retired to be honest.
Isn't that accurate to the original Japanese version? Because she's actually supposed to have the same hick accent Goku has; her being more prim and proper is actually a dubism :lol: .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Isn't that accurate to the original Japanese version? Because she's actually supposed to have the same hick accent Goku has; her being more prim and proper is actually a dubism :lol: .
Sounding like a drunk with a smoker voice isn't at all related to sounding like a country girl. Also, Cranz is a Texan, so if she just gave Chichi a Texan accent, THAT would've been fantastic. Anyway, I don't know how old Chichi is in Super, but maybe they thot "she's old now, so you'd better give her a ragged voice".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."