Chi Chi's voice seems off

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2628
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 am

NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Yeah I noticed her voice sounding pretty raspy despite her performance still being good. Does anyone know if she smokes in real life?
No idea, but most VA's don't strike me as being smokers.
Sabat evidently used to smoke when he was younger, not sure if he still does now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgOJoGlIRc
He probably doesn't smoke now.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 am

Poor thing's not gonna make it through Super...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

So the complaint seems to be that the voice actor sounds too raspy and old, despite playing a character that is now a lot older after a 7 year time skip?

Like I said, still not understanding any of these complaints. You wanted better and more faithful voice acting right? Now you have an older woman with an older voice.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

She's only supposed to be in her 30's. She shouldn't sound like that.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Asura wrote:So the complaint seems to be that the voice actor sounds too raspy and old, despite playing a character that is now a lot older after a 7 year time skip?

Like I said, still not understanding any of these complaints. You wanted better and more faithful voice acting right? Now you have an older woman with an older voice.
Most 30 year olds I know don't sound like they have a bad case of strep throat.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

When has age ever meant a single thing in Dragonball? Goku still sounds like he's 12, and looks like he's 20. Bulma looks and sounds like she's in her twenties (in Jap Super), but we all know she's older. Chi-Chi has always looked older than she is, and I have no problem with the voice actor playing her that way. The Japanese voice actor definitely doesn't sound like she's ~30 either, and clearly sounds like an older woman. I don't really understand the logic of "It's okay when the Jap dub does it, but it's bad when Funi does it"

Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Asura wrote:When has age ever meant a single thing in Dragonball? Goku still sounds like he's 12, and looks like he's 20. Bulma looks and sounds like she's in her twenties (in Jap Super), but we all know she's older. Chi-Chi has always looked older than she is, and I have no problem with the voice actor playing her that way. The Japanese voice actor definitely doesn't sound like she's ~30 either, and clearly sounds like an older woman. I don't really understand the logic of "It's okay when the Jap dub does it, but it's bad when Funi does it"
I don't agree with Goku sounding like a 12. He sounds like Goku to me. That's the only way I can describe it. Bulma's voice is something I don't have a problem with because I've heard and met plenty of women her age with high voices similar to it. As for Chi Chi's actress, she doesn't sound that bad, but I prefer her older one from Z. She sounds fine to me.

As for the original version thing, I don't see how anyone's doing that. Why are you bringing up the original and shifting blame over to it? Is that somehow supposed to make the English dub look better? This whole "But the original does it!" thing doesn't really accomplish anything.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Asura wrote:When has age ever meant a single thing in Dragonball? Goku still sounds like he's 12, and looks like he's 20. Bulma looks and sounds like she's in her twenties (in Jap Super), but we all know she's older. Chi-Chi has always looked older than she is, and I have no problem with the voice actor playing her that way. The Japanese voice actor definitely doesn't sound like she's ~30 either, and clearly sounds like an older woman. I don't really understand the logic of "It's okay when the Jap dub does it, but it's bad when Funi does it"
I don't agree with Goku sounding like a 12. He sounds like Goku to me. That's the only way I can describe it. Bulma's voice is something I don't have a problem with because I've heard and met plenty of women her age with high voices similar to it. As for Chi Chi's actress, she doesn't sound that bad, but I prefer her older one from Z. She sounds fine to me.

As for the original version thing, I don't see how anyone's doing that. Why are you bringing up the original and shifting blame over to it? Is that somehow supposed to make the English dub look better? This whole "But the original does it!" thing doesn't really accomplish anything.
I'm bringing up the original because I'm trying to point out the hypocrisy. I know that most people don't have a problem with Bulma/Chi-Chi's voices in the jap dub, so to have a problem with them in the english dub for reasons they were fine with in the original is simply hypocrisy.

Also, I'd like to point out that you said "I don't agree with Goku sounding like a 12 (year old). He sounds like Goku to me. That's the only way I can describe it."

Just to be clear, we're both talking about Nozawa here right? Obviously Schemmel doesn't sound like a 12 year old. So when you say that Nozawa's Goku sounds like Goku, well...

I'm not even sure how to approach that sentence because it doesn't make any sense, although the most likely explanation I can think of as to what you're talking about when you say that Goku sounds like Goku, is nostalgia. Which is pretty much exactly the point I've been trying to make. People excuse the original for doing the same thing this dub has done, under the guise of things like "Goku sounds like Goku".

And if your position is "Just because the original did it doesn't make the english dub look better" I don't see how that's an argument at all. You'd literally just be arguing against the English dub being more accurate to the original.

Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Asura wrote: I'm bringing up the original because I'm trying to point out the hypocrisy. I know that most people don't have a problem with Bulma/Chi-Chi's voices in the jap dub, so to have a problem with them in the english dub for reasons they were fine with in the original is simply hypocrisy.

Also, I'd like to point out that you said "I don't agree with Goku sounding like a 12 (year old). He sounds like Goku to me. That's the only way I can describe it."

Just to be clear, we're both talking about Nozawa here right? Obviously Schemmel doesn't sound like a 12 year old. So when you say that Nozawa's Goku sounds like Goku, well...

I'm not even sure how to approach that sentence because it doesn't make any sense, although the most likely explanation I can think of as to what you're talking about when you say that Goku sounds like Goku, is nostalgia. Which is pretty much exactly the point I've been trying to make. People excuse the original for doing the same thing this dub has done, under the guise of things like "Goku sounds like Goku".

And if your position is "Just because the original did it doesn't make the english dub look better" I don't see how that's an argument at all. You'd literally just be arguing against the English dub being more accurate to the original.
It's really not. Those voices sound fine to me and natural, but certain English dub ones don't. And I have no idea what you're on about with nostalgia. I didn't even discover the original until 2014, so I don't even know what you're talking about because I grew up with the English Kai dub.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Asura » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:48 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Asura wrote: I'm bringing up the original because I'm trying to point out the hypocrisy. I know that most people don't have a problem with Bulma/Chi-Chi's voices in the jap dub, so to have a problem with them in the english dub for reasons they were fine with in the original is simply hypocrisy.

Also, I'd like to point out that you said "I don't agree with Goku sounding like a 12 (year old). He sounds like Goku to me. That's the only way I can describe it."

Just to be clear, we're both talking about Nozawa here right? Obviously Schemmel doesn't sound like a 12 year old. So when you say that Nozawa's Goku sounds like Goku, well...

I'm not even sure how to approach that sentence because it doesn't make any sense, although the most likely explanation I can think of as to what you're talking about when you say that Goku sounds like Goku, is nostalgia. Which is pretty much exactly the point I've been trying to make. People excuse the original for doing the same thing this dub has done, under the guise of things like "Goku sounds like Goku".

And if your position is "Just because the original did it doesn't make the english dub look better" I don't see how that's an argument at all. You'd literally just be arguing against the English dub being more accurate to the original.
It's really not. Those voices sound fine to me and natural, but certain English dub ones don't. And I have no idea what you're on about with nostalgia. I didn't even discover the original until 2014, so I don't even know what you're talking about because I grew up with the English Kai dub.

I brought up nostalgia as a way to try and rationalize what you meant, but now that you say it isn't nostalgia either, I really have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Goku sounds like Goku". It's like me saying "Bansho64 sounds like Bansho64 to me" - It's not really a statement that means anything or makes any sense, but the way you worded it made it sound like you enjoy Nozawa's performance because it sounds like Goku to you - which again, makes no sense and is like saying "I like Bansho64's voice because he sounds like Bansho64". Nozawa is the original Goku, so saying that you enjoy her voice because she sounds like Goku is pretty confusing considering she's the original, so what are you comparing it to when you say that she sounds like Goku?

Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am

Asura wrote: I brought up nostalgia as a way to try and rationalize what you meant, but now that you say it isn't nostalgia either, I really have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Goku sounds like Goku". It's like me saying "Bansho64 sounds like Bansho64 to me" - It's not really a statement that means anything or makes any sense, but the way you worded it made it sound like you enjoy Nozawa's performance because it sounds like Goku to you - which again, makes no sense and is like saying "I like Bansho64's voice because he sounds like Bansho64". Nozawa is the original Goku, so saying that you enjoy her voice because she sounds like Goku is pretty confusing considering she's the original, so what are you comparing it to when you say that she sounds like Goku?
It makes perfect sense. When I hear Nozawa, I don't hear a cat, or and old lady, or any of that stuff people try to pin on her. I hear the character of Goku. His youthfulness, his way of talking, his mannerisms, everything. I'm not comparing it to anything.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Asura » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Asura wrote: I brought up nostalgia as a way to try and rationalize what you meant, but now that you say it isn't nostalgia either, I really have absolutely no idea what you mean when you say "Goku sounds like Goku". It's like me saying "Bansho64 sounds like Bansho64 to me" - It's not really a statement that means anything or makes any sense, but the way you worded it made it sound like you enjoy Nozawa's performance because it sounds like Goku to you - which again, makes no sense and is like saying "I like Bansho64's voice because he sounds like Bansho64". Nozawa is the original Goku, so saying that you enjoy her voice because she sounds like Goku is pretty confusing considering she's the original, so what are you comparing it to when you say that she sounds like Goku?
It makes perfect sense. When I hear Nozawa, I don't hear a cat, or and old lady, or any of that stuff people try to pin on her. I hear the character of Goku. His youthfulness, his way of talking, his mannerisms, everything. I'm not comparing it to anything.
Like I said, that doesn't make sense. You're saying that she sounds like a character that never had a voice to begin with. Most 40+ year old men do not sound like Masako Nozawa, who is a woman. It's definitely nowhere near a natural voice for Goku's age. Obviously she's a very good voice actor and is able to convey Goku's personality very well with her tone and demeanor (which is what I assume you're trying to say in terms of his mannerisms, talking, youthfulness, etc.), but saying she sounds like Goku based off her voice alone just...makes no sense. An extremely muscular middle-aged man sounding like a young woman is pretty ill-fitting and it's why a lot of people don't like the original (I personally don't mind it at all, but it's very easy to see the argument that the voice doesn't actually fit given how the character looks, and his age)

So to sum up, I don't think that saying "Masako Nozawa sounds like Goku" is an argument that makes any sense, especially in the context of this thread. But it's just like the Chi-Chi thing, you feel as if there's no problems with Chi-Chi's original voice actor and you think she sounds like Chi-Chi. But when those exact same reasons that you liked the original Chi-Chi voice actor for don't carry over to the English voice actor, who has the same older voice, mannerisms, etc. your defense of "well the original just sounds right to me and the english dub doesnt" doesn't actually hold much water as an argument. You can't tell me why the qualities between the two voice actors are different in your opinion, you just say that one sounds good and the other doesn't. Again, that's not really an argument, that's just an opinion without much behind it.

Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2026
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Asura wrote: Like I said, that doesn't make sense. You're saying that she sounds like a character that never had a voice to begin with. Most 40+ year old men do not sound like Masako Nozawa, who is a woman. It's definitely nowhere near a natural voice for Goku's age. Obviously she's a very good voice actor and is able to convey Goku's personality very well with her tone and demeanor (which is what I assume you're trying to say in terms of his mannerisms, talking, youthfulness, etc.), but saying she sounds like Goku based off her voice alone just...makes no sense. An extremely muscular middle-aged man sounding like a young woman is pretty ill-fitting and it's why a lot of people don't like the original (I personally don't mind it at all, but it's very easy to see the argument that the voice doesn't actually fit given how the character looks, and his age)

So to sum up, I don't think that saying "Masako Nozawa sounds like Goku" is an argument that makes any sense, especially in the context of this thread. But it's just like the Chi-Chi thing, you feel as if there's no problems with Chi-Chi's original voice actor and you think she sounds like Chi-Chi. But when those exact same reasons that you liked the original Chi-Chi voice actor for don't carry over to the English voice actor, who has the same older voice, mannerisms, etc. your defense of "well the original just sounds right to me and the english dub doesnt" doesn't actually hold much water as an argument. You can't tell me why the qualities between the two voice actors are different in your opinion, you just say that one sounds good and the other doesn't. Again, that's not really an argument, that's just an opinion without much behind it.
Again, it makes perfect sense for me. I can't describe a man or woman I've heard that sounds like that, so I ain't calling the voice that. Whether he had a voice to begin with doesn't matter. I think the voice fits his character and that's why I say it sounds like Goku. It's not the first thought that comes to my head when I see a character that looks like him, but i find it unique and very good. And while the majority of men don't sound like him, there are minorites, and he happens to be one. I still have yet to hear the voices similarities to a young woman, besides it being high pitched.

And I never once used the same argument for Chi Chi. Also, I'd say the mannerisms and voices sound different between the original and the English ones. And those reasons don't carry over because they don't sound the same. And I've done a lot more than just give my argument as "one sounds right, one doesn't". But I'll go over it again. Chi Chi's current one in English sounds too old IMO and raspy. It's especially jarring when you go from the Cell arc into the Buu arc. It's like she's been smoking. Kinda similar to Nadolny's Gohan. Older doesn't equal raspy. Chi Chi's original one, however, doesn't have that same raspy and old tone to it that I dislike in the English one. It's not the one I prefer l, but it's serviceable and natural.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by matt0044 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Poor thing's not gonna make it through Super...
Yet The Final Chapters were done well before Super's dub started production.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

matt0044 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Poor thing's not gonna make it through Super...
Yet The Final Chapters were done well before Super's dub started production.
I'm just joking on the matter Cranz would have to be doing hella a lot of screaming in Super.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
Freeza Soldier #156
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Yeah, you might be on to something,since Super was recorded a few years after Kai TFC started (unless Cranz was one of the last actors to record their lines before moving right on to Super).

But then, wasn't Battle of Gods around the time they started Kai TFC? I don't recall this problem in that.
After rewatching BOG today, she definitely had the same issue in some of her scenes. It's particularly noticeable in the scene where Chi Chi is scolding Gohan after Videl gets shot. The only thing I can think is that she is a smoker and it's finally begun to take its toll on her voice.

On a different note, rewatching the movie made me remember how much better the story was told there as opposed to Super. I honestly wish they would have just continued making films rather than Super. The Future Trunks arc was definitely great, but I think it would of made an even more amazing movie.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10190
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Yeah, you might be on to something,since Super was recorded a few years after Kai TFC started (unless Cranz was one of the last actors to record their lines before moving right on to Super).

But then, wasn't Battle of Gods around the time they started Kai TFC? I don't recall this problem in that.
After rewatching BOG today, she definitely had the same issue in some of her scenes. It's particularly noticeable in the scene where Chi Chi is scolding Gohan after Videl gets shot. The only thing I can think is that she is a smoker and it's finally begun to take its toll on her voice.

On a different note, rewatching the movie made me remember how much better the story was told there as opposed to Super. I honestly wish they would have just continued making films rather than Super. The Future Trunks arc was definitely great, but I think it would of made an even more amazing movie.
I disagree what made the arc special was Black and Zamasu and all the build up and development to their charterers, in a 90 minutes there is no way it could work without losing what made the arc special and it would feel patchy like the Manga retelling. Not only them but Trunks got a lot of development too in the series. As a trilogy or two parter it can work but as a singular it won't work, don't forget the series was intended to be weekly the whole mystery was supposed to sit with us for weeks, not 5 minutes. Beerus was just that presented to use from the start in BoG there wasn't much development or anything to him except he was a super childish all powerful god, the only thing Super did well in the retelling was give us actual development for his character and as a villain Freeza was already developed and bringing him back meant no further development was needed.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I disagree what made the arc special was Black and Zamasu and all the build up and development to their charterers.
Which lasted all of, what, 40 minutes total? It could easily happen in a movie, there's no logistical reason why it couldn't. I think your real problem is that you personally can't imagine it.
Retired.

User avatar
Freeza Soldier #156
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I disagree what made the arc special was Black and Zamasu and all the build up and development to their charterers.
Which lasted all of, what, 40 minutes total? It could easily happen in a movie, there's no logistical reason why it couldn't.
Agreed. There was plenty of material that could be cut out without sacrificing the important parts of the story. There were whole episodes of content that could be condensed or removed entirely. I found myself growing a little bored with all of the constant traveling back and forth through time. There were several instances of travel to the future, fight and lose, travel back to the past, talk about some stuff for an episode or two, travel back to the future, fight and lose, rinse and repeat. The story could have easily fit into a 90-120 minute film without much problem.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10190
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I disagree what made the arc special was Black and Zamasu and all the build up and development to their charterers.
Which lasted all of, what, 40 minutes total? It could easily happen in a movie, there's no logistical reason why it couldn't. I think your real problem is that you personally can't imagine it.
And that is half the run time of the movie already eaten up. And my main point was the story was intended for weekly so things were supposed to brew, we didn't even get introduced to Zamasu until episode 7th up until Black was the sole villain. It would work much better as a trilogy or duology, first film can cover Trunks from when the left him, Buu flashblack building up to Black and then end the film with Goku off to U10, then have the second film pick off from then and have that end where they get destroyed and head back where Beerus destroys present Zamasu and then have the third film pick up from that to the end the story.

Post Reply