Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:34 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: but Original voices were Best, what's wrong with Zarbon Kai voice? i think it sounded like Hayami.
There's nothing really wrong with Miura's Zarbon. I think he's fine, but I think Hayami just had more of a presence in the role. I would have preferred Nobuo Tobita for the role.
but then again, the Japanese version of Kai just lacked the passion the Z version had
I suppose the actors weren't as passionate as they were in Z because they were basically recording the same lines they had done years ago.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:24 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: There's nothing really wrong with Miura's Zarbon. I think he's fine, but I think Hayami just had more of a presence in the role. I would have preferred Nobuo Tobita for the role.
but then again, the Japanese version of Kai just lacked the passion the Z version had
I suppose the actors weren't as passionate as they were in Z because they were basically recording the same lines they had done years ago.
Yes that's the main reason.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: but then again, the Japanese version of Kai just lacked the passion the Z version had
That's weird considering the Kai dub had more passion than we've ever heard from the Funi dub cast who had spent a decade by that point dubbing, re-dubbing, and recording lines for video games. I guess you could say their lack of acting ability in the first run may have overshadowed any passion they may have had for the first dub.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:16 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I suppose the actors weren't as passionate as they were in Z because they were basically recording the same lines they had done years ago.
That's weird considering the Kai dub had more passion than we've ever heard from the Funi dub cast who had spent a decade by that point dubbing, re-dubbing, and recording lines for video games. I guess you could say their lack of acting ability in the first run may have overshadowed any passion they may have had for the first dub.
yeah other way round in dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Such a shame that we had to wait ten years for a good dub from Funimation though.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Such a shame that we had to wait ten years for a good dub from Funimation though.
It's too late, at this point most already prefer Z Dub except fans like us who care because "DBZ is one of the Best dubbed anime".

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Such a shame that we had to wait ten years for a good dub from Funimation though.
It's too late, at this point most already prefer Z Dub except fans like us who care because "DBZ is one of the Best dubbed anime".
Yep, I knew that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I will always prefer the Japanese version of Dragon Ball. I'm not very fond of the English dub even though I know it has drastically improved over the years. But I also wouldn't berate anyone for preferring the dub. It all comes down to preference. With that said I'm not very fond of Kai as a whole either because it's toned down compared to the original series. I'll take the filler if it means I get uncensored content for the rest of the show.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 am

Gligarman wrote:I will always prefer the Japanese version of Dragon Ball. I'm not very fond of the English dub even though I know it has drastically improved over the years. But I also wouldn't berate anyone for preferring the dub. It all comes down to preference. With that said I'm not very fond of Kai as a whole either because it's toned down compared to the original series. I'll take the filler if it means I get uncensored content for the rest of the show.
The only thing censored in Kai is the hole in gokus chest when he and Raditz are killed.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:12 pm

From what little I've seen of Kai in Japanese (mostly just the first episode and some clips for reference) I honestly did not notice a noticeable drop in quality. We all (including myself) praise the improvements the Funimation cast made in Kai but from what I've seen the Japanese cast in Kai still tops thems. I plan on watching the entire thing in Japanese eventually

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:From what little I've seen of Kai in Japanese (mostly just the first episode and some clips for reference) I honestly did not notice a noticeable drop in quality. We all (including myself) praise the improvements the Funimation cast made in Kai but from what I've seen the Japanese cast in Kai still tops thems. I plan on watching the entire thing in Japanese eventually
Watching Dragon Ball Kai with its original broadcast music and in Japanese was a pleasant Dragon Ball experience for me, but the replacement score took that away. I love the Z soundtrack but listening over and over again to the same repetitive BGMs eventually becomes a bit painful.

Even the memorable Gohan SSJ2 moment was ruined by a standard BGM that's played throughout the series because they didn't even have that many BGMs to choose from. I read they only used BGMs in Stereo, don't know if that's true or not.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:49 am

Japanese Kai is to Funi Kai what the inhouse dubs of DBZ movies 1-3 are to their Pioneer equivalents. It's fine for what it is, but there's not much point to watching it more than once when a better version exists.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Japanese Kai is to Funi Kai what the inhouse dubs of DBZ movies 1-3 are to their Pioneer equivalents. It's fine for what it is, but there's not much point to watching it more than once when a better version exists.
I’m gonna disagree. The in-house Funi redub of movie 1-3 are really bad and an insult to the excellent Pioneer dubs and the work the Ocean Cast did on those movies and I don’t buy the “vocal consistency” argument since that didn’t stop Funimation from releasing the Dragon Ball movies 4-Pack with Collen Clinkenbeard>Ceyli> Stephanie Nadolny as Goku and Monica Rial>Leslie Alexander>Tiffany Vollmer as Bulma.

Japanese Kai is at worst an unnecessary Special Edition recut version of an already great show where English Kai is fixing past sins. But Japanese Kai isn’t an insult or disrespectful to English Kai the way the inhouse redub of the movies is an insult to the Pioneer dubs.

And even still Masako Nozawa at her worst is still better than Sean Schemmel at his best