Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:Yeah, I've watched it in Japanese before, and I'm actually one of the few that likes it quite a bit. There's some really good performances in there and the shortened length is what I'm used to.
Even though he's no Suzuoki, I think Midorikawa's a pretty good replacement for Tenshinhan.
I don't mind Midorikawa in Kai and Super dub at all and definitely prefer him over John's Tenshinhan.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 am

This is interesting discussion for me because I want to collect DBZ ON bluray and I am going back and forth on collecting Kai or the original.

I don't really care about missing filler (in fact that is a benefit for me) but I do love the original Japanese performances. A better dub is great but honestly the Japanese cast is what is important to me.

Right now I ordered one Kai Blu-ray. But I may return it and order Z instead. I feel conflicted

Note: I do own some of the original Z on DVD. Though I never owned all of it. When it was first coming out on DVD because I was a poor college student it was more about buying favorite moments/episodes

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Kinokima wrote:This is interesting discussion for me because I want to collect DBZ ON bluray and I am going back and forth on collecting Kai or the original.

I don't really care about missing filler (in fact that is a benefit for me) but I do love the original Japanese performances. A better dub is great but honestly the Japanese cast is what is important to me.

Right now I ordered one Kai Blu-ray. But I may return it and order Z instead. I feel conflicted

Note: I do own some of the original Z on DVD. Though I never owned all of it. When it was first coming out on DVD because I was a poor college student it was more about buying favorite moments/episodes
Dragon Box are best. No missing footage and no over saturated colors and similar to OG Broadcast.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Ripper 30 wrote: Dragon Box are best. No missing footage and no over saturated colors and similar to OG Broadcast.
So I've heard but those are outside what I am willing to spend

It may be kind of a weird decision but I am thinking of buying

* Kai up to the end of the Cell arc
* Z for the Buu arc as it seems Kai made less positive changes there anyways (and the Buu arc from Z is my favorite).

Now if only there was a release that included both Z and Kai (can't imagine how much that would cost). :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 am

Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Dragon Box are best. No missing footage and no over saturated colors and similar to OG Broadcast.
So I've heard but those are outside what I am willing to spend

It may be kind of a weird decision but I am thinking of buying

* Kai up to the end of the Cell arc
* Z for the Buu arc as it seems Kai made less positive changes there anyways (and the Buu arc from Z is my favorite).

Now if only there was a release that included both Z and Kai (can't imagine how much that would cost). :lol:
I liked most of Z fillers and prefer Kikuchi over Yamamoto and Japanese over English Dub so that's why I prefer Z over Kai. But you are right they kept most of the fillers in Kai TFC.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 am

Ripper 30 wrote: I liked most of Z fillers and prefer Kikuchi over Yamamoto and Japanese over English Dub so that's why I prefer Z over Kai. But you are right they kept most of the fillers in Kai TFC.

Besides the filler (which most of it I can do without except Goku & Piccolo at the driving school I'll miss that)

But otherwise I am the same as you. I prefer Japanese cast and like the original Japanese music track.

But the current BR of Kai have brought back Kikuchi's music and while they have aged I still really enjoy the Japanese cast more in Kai too. The dub is enjoyable as well but The Japanese cast is still my preference.

And luckily the changes in the Japanese cast sadly because of deaths don't affect my enjoyment because my favorites are all still there.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 am

Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I liked most of Z fillers and prefer Kikuchi over Yamamoto and Japanese over English Dub so that's why I prefer Z over Kai. But you are right they kept most of the fillers in Kai TFC.

Besides the filler (which most of it I can do without except Goku & Piccolo at the driving school I'll miss that)

But otherwise I am the same as you. I prefer Japanese cast and like the original Japanese music track.

But the current BR of Kai have brought back Kikuchi's music and while they have aged I still really enjoy the Japanese cast more in Kai too. The dub is enjoyable as well but The Japanese cast is still my preference.

And luckily the changes in the Japanese cast sadly because of deaths don't affect my enjoyment because my favorites are all still there.
I see your point, in a way it's refreshing to hear the Japanese cast with the newer recording equipments and clear audio.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I almost always see people saying that they only care about Kai for its dub, and I mostly agree with that sentiment, and I watch Z for my fix of the Japanese cast (especially since it's a much better put together product, acting aside), but sometimes I'll watch some Kai in Japanese because I like Simmons' improved subtitles, and I do think a few of the performances rival Z's, like Horikawa's more intense Vegeta.

Does anyone else here care about Kai in Japanese? Are there any sub fans that prefer it for the pacing, but still don't care for the dub and don't mind the other shortcomings? I'm just curious.
I wouldn't call Horikawa's Kai Vegeta more intense. He sounded underwhelming compared to his Z performance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:01 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I almost always see people saying that they only care about Kai for its dub, and I mostly agree with that sentiment, and I watch Z for my fix of the Japanese cast (especially since it's a much better put together product, acting aside), but sometimes I'll watch some Kai in Japanese because I like Simmons' improved subtitles, and I do think a few of the performances rival Z's, like Horikawa's more intense Vegeta.

Does anyone else here care about Kai in Japanese? Are there any sub fans that prefer it for the pacing, but still don't care for the dub and don't mind the other shortcomings? I'm just curious.
I wouldn't call Horikawa's Kai Vegeta more intense. He sounded underwhelming compared to his Z performance.
Agreed, he had a much more smoother voice back in Z but due to smoking and aging his voice changed in Kai

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Agreed, he had a much more smoother voice back in Z but due to smoking and aging his voice changed in Kai
I didn't say smoother. I meant that because his voice was raspier that his fighting cries had more of a "grit" to them, and to me it sounds a bit more intense.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Ryo Horikawa's voice has definitely changed but he will always be my favorite Vegeta. Chris Sabat has definitely improved over the years but he's just not my preference for Vegeta. And I admit watching LOGH made me love Horikawa even more. It is interesting to compare the characters of Reinhard and Vegeta as there are definitely some similarities which actually makes me enjoy Horikawa's Vegeta even more.

So even though Horikawa's voice has changed a bit he still hits all the right notes for me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:
My only major complaint for Japanese Kai is Wakamoto's Cell. It's a funny delivery, but it's way too light-hearted compared to Wakamoto's original performance .
Agreed, Wakamoto didn't sounded as good as Z in Kai and his voice just wasn't smooth In Kai and some of his Delivery felt weird too whereas he sounded Perfect In Z, there is even a clip Comparing the same scenes from Z and Kai.
It's probably age. Back in Z, he was in his prime, but now, not anymore. You could say the same for most of the Japanese cast for Kai. Furuya still sounds like he sounded in his prime. Same with Tsuru.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:09 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:
My only major complaint for Japanese Kai is Wakamoto's Cell. It's a funny delivery, but it's way too light-hearted compared to Wakamoto's original performance .
Agreed, Wakamoto didn't sounded as good as Z in Kai and his voice just wasn't smooth In Kai and some of his Delivery felt weird too whereas he sounded Perfect In Z, there is even a clip Comparing the same scenes from Z and Kai.
It's probably age. Back in Z, he was in his prime, but now, not anymore. You could say the same for most of the Japanese cast for Kai. Furuya still sounds like he sounded in his prime. Same with Tsuru.
Although I agree with Furuya's Yamucha, I think Tsuru's Blooma was Better in her prime. it's not like it's bad now but earlier on in DB Kai she was phoning in but atleast now in Super she has gotten better still I prefer her 90's voice over now .

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Although I agree with Furuya's Yamucha, I think Tsuru's Blooma was Better in her prime. it's not like it's bad now but earlier on in DB Kai she was phoning in but atleast now in Super she has gotten better still I prefer her 90's voice over now .
While I don't think she's as good as she was back in the day, her voice still sounds the same to me, cute and lovely as ever.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It's probably age. Back in Z, he was in his prime, but now, not anymore. You could say the same for most of the Japanese cast for Kai. Furuya still sounds like he sounded in his prime. Same with Tsuru.
While I don't think she's as good as she was back in the day, her voice still sounds the same to me, cute and lovely as ever.
Agreed she still has that sweet and Lovely Voice despite her being close to 60 now.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:35 am

When it comes to replacements, I think the voices for the Ginyu Force in Japanese Kai were pretty good. Miura on the other hand was underwhelming compared to Hayami as Zarbon. While Ishizuka did a commendable job, I would have preferred Kenta Miyake as Satan.

Otomo was phoning it in so hard as King Cold. Should have brought Banjo Ginga to do it.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to replacements, I think the voices for the Ginyu Force in Japanese Kai were pretty good. Miura on the other hand was underwhelming compared to Hayami as Zarbon. While Ishizuka did a commendable job, I would have preferred Kenta Miyake as Satan.

Otomo was phoning it in so hard as King Cold. Should have brought Banjo Ginga to do it.
Yes Ginyu Tokusentai had fine voices in kai Though I love Kenji Utsumi's Reacoom than the Recasted one in Kai. I don't know why Sho Hayami stopped voicing Zarbon in Kai, and yes both roles of Daisuke Gori be it Mr.Satan or Cold Daio were way inferior in Kai.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:15 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to replacements, I think the voices for the Ginyu Force in Japanese Kai were pretty good. Miura on the other hand was underwhelming compared to Hayami as Zarbon. While Ishizuka did a commendable job, I would have preferred Kenta Miyake as Satan.

Yes Ginyu Tokusentai had fine voices in kai Though I love Kenji Utsumi's Reacoom than the Recasted one in Kai. I don't know why Sho Hayami stopped voicing Zarbon in Kai, and yes both roles of Daisuke Gori be it Mr.Satan or Cold Daio were way inferior in Kai.
I don't know either. Maybe he was busy or something?

It bugs me that they didn't recast Chi-Chi. Someone like Kikuko Inoue or Aya Hisakawa would have been better than Watanabe.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 pm

One improvement of Japanese kai over Z is that Kusao's kid trunks voice has improved over the years, it just sounds softer than the first run of Z. Dende and Ginyu are the only replacements on par with the original actor for me. Wakamoto's performance suffers the most in kai he just sounds way to over the top :lol: , while his Z performance was balanced and perfect no pun intended.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am

DragonBallKing wrote:One improvement of Japanese kai over Z is that Kusao's kid trunks voice has improved over the years, it just sounds softer than the first run of Z. Dende and Ginyu are the only replacements on par with the original actor for me. Wakamoto's performance suffers the most in kai he just sounds way to over the top :lol: , while his Z performance was balanced and perfect no pun intended.
I agree with Kusao's Kid Trunks being much better.