Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to replacements, I think the voices for the Ginyu Force in Japanese Kai were pretty good. Miura on the other hand was underwhelming compared to Hayami as Zarbon. While Ishizuka did a commendable job, I would have preferred Kenta Miyake as Satan.

Otomo was phoning it in so hard as King Cold. Should have brought Banjo Ginga to do it.
Yes Ginyu Tokusentai had fine voices in kai Though I love Kenji Utsumi's Reacoom than the Recasted one in Kai. I don't know why Sho Hayami stopped voicing Zarbon in Kai, and yes both roles of Daisuke Gori be it Mr.Satan or Cold Daio were way inferior in Kai.
I don't know either. Maybe he was busy or something?

It bugs me that they didn't recast Chi-Chi. Someone like Kikuko Inoue or Aya Hisakawa would have been better than Watanabe.
That was very unlikely as TOEI stuck with the old Cast, What's your Opinion on Her Chi Chi in DBZ ?

Between her and Cynthia Cranz whom would you choose?
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:One improvement of Japanese kai over Z is that Kusao's kid trunks voice has improved over the years, it just sounds softer than the first run of Z. Dende and Ginyu are the only replacements on par with the original actor for me. Wakamoto's performance suffers the most in kai he just sounds way to over the top :lol: , while his Z performance was balanced and perfect no pun intended.
I agree with Kusao's Kid Trunks being much better.
Yes it got better now and Wakamoto's performance in Kai was way inferior to his Z Performance.
Last edited by Ripper 30 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Yes Ginyu Tokusentai had fine voices in kai Though I love Kenji Utsumi's Reacoom than the Recasted one in Kai. I don't know why Sho Hayami stopped voicing Zarbon in Kai, and yes both roles of Daisuke Gori be it Mr.Satan or Cold Daio were way inferior in Kai.
I don't know either. Maybe he was busy or something?

It bugs me that they didn't recast Chi-Chi. Someone like Kikuko Inoue or Aya Hisakawa would have been better than Watanabe.
That was very unlikely as TOEI stuck with the old Cast, What's your Opinion on Her Chi Chi in DBZ ?

She lacks Sho's motherly tone. Honestly, I'll go with Watanabe.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I don't know either. Maybe he was busy or something?

Also Sho sounded more Cute and Adorable.
Why did you prefer Naoko over Cranz? I have heard many fans liked her roles of Chi Chi and Botan more in Dub than Sub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

Why did you prefer Naoko over Cranz? I have heard many fans liked her roles of Chi Chi and Botan more in Dub than Sub.
Honestly, at the end of the day, Watanabe sounds more tolerable than Cranz, even if I'm not fond of her.

And I disagree Botan sounding better in the dub. Cranz's acting is fine, but what's with the British accent?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: She lacks Sho's motherly tone. Honestly, I'll go with Watanabe.
Honestly, at the end of the day, Watanabe sounds more tolerable than Cranz, even if I'm not fond of her.

And I disagree Botan sounding better in the dub. Cranz's acting is fine, but what's with the British accent?

Yes thing is, Watanabe never forgot Chi Chi's mannerisms and Hickness unlike Cranz's Chi Chi who sounded like an angry western wife not Chi Chi.
I also think that Botan's voice in English wasn't that much of a problem but there was no need for British accent but FUNi like giving unnecessary accents to Character (ex: Jeice in Z Dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Also Sho sounded more Cute and Adorable.

Yes thing is, Watanabe never forgot Chi Chi's mannerisms and Hickness unlike Cranz's Chi Chi who sounded like an angry western wife not Chi Chi.
I also think that Botan's voice in English wasn't that much of a problem but there was no need for British accent but FUNi like giving unnecessary accents to Character (ex: Jeice in Z Dub)
Liebrecht's Jeice bothered me. I don't know what accent he was going for. He reminds me of Rob Paulsen's Pinky.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Honestly, at the end of the day, Watanabe sounds more tolerable than Cranz, even if I'm not fond of her.

Liebrecht's Jeice bothered me. I don't know what accent he was going for. He reminds me of Rob Paulsen's Pinky.
Yes I have to agree he sounded kinda pansy.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

If he didn't have that accent, I'd be fine with him. When it comes to Zarbon's accent in Kai, it didn't bother me because it was fitting.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:55 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Liebrecht's Jeice bothered me. I don't know what accent he was going for. He reminds me of Rob Paulsen's Pinky.
If he didn't have that accent, I'd be fine with him. When it comes to Zarbon's accent in Kai, it didn't bother me because it was fitting.
Yes That's my issue with FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball, they give unnecessary accents to characters. Kai dub Zarbon was fine but the voice could have been a little deeper.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:00 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes I have to agree he sounded kinda pansy.
Yes That's my issue with FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball, they give unnecessary accents to characters. Kai dub Zarbon was fine but the voice could have been a little deeper.
Kind of like Hayami's voice?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: If he didn't have that accent, I'd be fine with him. When it comes to Zarbon's accent in Kai, it didn't bother me because it was fitting.
Yes but I don't mind KaI Dub Zarbon voice that much.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes That's my issue with FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball, they give unnecessary accents to characters. Kai dub Zarbon was fine but the voice could have been a little deeper.
While I prefer English Kai, I have to say that I still prefer Kusao over Vale. Vale is a mixed bag as Trunks. In Z, right voice, wrong acting; Kai: wrong voice, right acting.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Kind of like Hayami's voice?
While I prefer English Kai, I have to say that I still prefer Kusao over Vale. Vale is a mixed bag as Trunks. In Z, right voice, wrong acting; Kai: wrong voice, right acting.
Yes that's exactly how I would describe Vale. Even for Sean's Gokū I would say the same.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Don't understand why Hori was able to reprise as Android 19, but couldn't play Dodoria.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Don't understand why Hori was able to reprise as Android 19, but couldn't play Dodoria.
Same for Kozo reprising Majin Boo but not playing Ghurdo and Utsumi reprising Shen Long but not playing Reacoom.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Don't understand why Hori was able to reprise as Android 19, but couldn't play Dodoria.
Same for Kozo reprising Majin Boo but not playing Ghurdo and Utsumi reprising Shen Long but not playing Reacoom.
It just seems pointless to get another actor for Recoome when they had the original actor.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
It just seems pointless to get another actor for Recoome when they had the original actor.
Maybe it was because he couldn't have done a good Reacoom in Kai.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Same for Kozo reprising Majin Boo but not playing Ghurdo and Utsumi reprising Shen Long but not playing Reacoom.
Given that he gave a good performance in Z, there's no reason why he couldn't give one in Kai.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It just seems pointless to get another actor for Recoome when they had the original actor.
Given that he gave a good performance in Z, there's no reason why he couldn't give one in Kai.
But even in Z he didn't voiced Announcer Guy in Boo Arc.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Maybe it was because he couldn't have done a good Reacoom in Kai.
But even in Z he didn't voiced Announcer Guy in Boo Arc.
I know.