Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

DragonBallKing
Regular
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Same for Kozo reprising Majin Boo but not playing Ghurdo and Utsumi reprising Shen Long but not playing Reacoom.
It just seems pointless to get another actor for Recoome when they had the original actor.
Maybe it was because he couldn't have done a good Reacoom in Kai.
Maybe they were just trying to be cheaper with casting since Utsumi is probably really expensive. Probably the same reason why Hayami wasn't Zarbon.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse


Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:24 am

I started to watch Kai. I started with Cell because at the time it was the cheapest to buy (although I now own Kai of Saiyan and Freeza too and I'll watch those next)

Anyways I originally planned to go back and forth between the dub and the sub. And I may check out the dub eventually but I've felt no need to not watch it in Japanese. It still sounds fantastic to me. Having Kikuchi's score back helps too (which is also why I did not buy the final chapters & stuck with Z for Buu)

Although to be fair besides clips I haven't watched the original Japanese version of DBZ in awhile and while I have been watching Super the actors being older doesn't sound wrong to me I guess. I don't really notice many phoned in performances either at least not with the regulars.

But bottom line is I am definitely enjoying Kai in Japanese just fine.

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am

Kinokima wrote:I started to watch Kai. I started with Cell because at the time it was the cheapest to buy (although I now own Kai of Saiyan and Freeza too and I'll watch those next)

Anyways I originally planned to go back and forth between the dub and the sub. And I may check out the dub eventually but I've felt no need to not watch it in Japanese. It still sounds fantastic to me. Having Kikuchi's score back helps too (which is also why I did not buy the final chapters & stuck with Z for Buu)

Although to be fair besides clips I haven't watched the original Japanese version of DBZ in awhile and while I have been watching Super the actors being older doesn't sound wrong to me I guess. I don't really notice many phoned in performances either at least not with the regulars.

But bottom line is I am definitely enjoying Kai in Japanese just fine.
Japanese voice acting no longer sounds phoned in. It only sounded like that in DB Kai 1.0 Specially the Whole Saiyan Arc as If the Japanese voice acting was at it's weakest. Only Jōji Yanami's Kaiō sounded Phoned in in Super but that was due to his age.
DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It just seems pointless to get another actor for Recoome when they had the original actor.
Maybe it was because he couldn't have done a good Reacoom in Kai.
Maybe they were just trying to be cheaper with casting since Utsumi is probably really expensive. Probably the same reason why Hayami wasn't Zarbon.
Maybe that can be the Reason as Kai was not even a big hit in Japan.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 am

Ripper 30 wrote: Japanese voice acting no longer sounds phoned in. It only sounded like that in DB Kai 1.0 Specially the Whole Saiyan Arc as If the Japanese voice acting was at it's weakest. Only Jōji Yanami's Kaiō sounded Phoned in in Super but that was due to his age.
Maybe because they were just starting out again and had to find the voice of the characters again. Although I haven't watched the Saiyan arc of Kai yet. I plan to watch that when I finish Cell which I have about 13 episodes left of I think. So I'll let you know what I think.

I am considering eventually just buying all the BR of DBZ too though for the original Japanese performances. At $20 each they are not that expensive....

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 am

Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Japanese voice acting no longer sounds phoned in. It only sounded like that in DB Kai 1.0 Specially the Whole Saiyan Arc as If the Japanese voice acting was at it's weakest. Only Jōji Yanami's Kaiō sounded Phoned in in Super but that was due to his age.
Maybe because they were just starting out again and had to find the voice of the characters again. Although I haven't watched the Saiyan arc of Kai yet. I plan to watch that when I finish Cell which I have about 13 episodes left of I think. So I'll let you know what I think.

I am considering eventually just buying all the BR of DBZ too though for the original Japanese performances. At $20 each they are not that expensive....
Yes After Dragon Boxes, they are the second best alternative as Dragon Boxes are expensive and are rearly available.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

First Kai episode I was disappointed in was when Gohan became SSJ2. How could they remove Spirit vs Spirit? It just didn't have the same power to it at all. :(

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 am

Kinokima wrote:First Kai episode I was disappointed in was when Gohan became SSJ2. How could they remove Spirit vs Spirit? It just didn't have the same power to it at all. :(
Agreed, the chorus track in itself was fine but it wasn't as memorable as Unmei no hi Tamashi tai Tamashi.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Horikawa's delivery of this speech in Kai just seemed weird and rushed compared to his Z delivery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuRlN17UyU
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote: Large removal of filler, and a VASTLY improved english dub would care for a word. As I had said earlier personally if you want to watch the show in Japanese you're best off just watching the original show. Kai more or less was just a great chance for other countries to get to redo their dub. Hell The Final Chapters literally only was made due to international demand if I'm not mistaken. Idk it seems like a pretty easy enough thing to me. OG Japanese or English Kai are both the best ways to watch the series. If you aren't a dub watcher or care about it then yeah I completely understand not really bothering with Kai. But if you're a fan of both I think what I said is the best way to go.
Neither of those things make Dragon Ball Kai good television. Dragon Ball Kai is poorly stitched together from a twenty year old cartoon that has poor music placement, poor voice performances and no planning placed into its production. Whoever was leading the project on a creative level was so ashamed that they wouldn't even use their real name. Not including a few scenes from Dragon Ball Z or having a dub from a foreign licensee that a handful of people on the internet like better than their dub of Dragon Ball Z doesn't make Dragon Ball Kai good, it makes Dragon Ball Kai sound like a work nobody placed any soul into.
I think you're being too harsh on Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Horikawa's delivery of this speech in Kai just seemed weird and rushed compared to his Z delivery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuRlN17UyU
Even though Ryō Horikawa is not in his prime but he can still differentiate between his Boo Arc vegeta and Saiyan Arc vegeta voice unlike Sabat who doesn't make vegeta sound younger in flashback of Saiyan arc vegeta
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:44 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Horikawa's delivery of this speech in Kai just seemed weird and rushed compared to his Z delivery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBuRlN17UyU
Even though Ryō Horikawa is not in his prime but he can still differentiate between his Boo Arc vegeta and Saiyan Arc vegeta voice unlike Sabat who doesn't make vegeta sound younger in flashback of Saiyan arc vegeta
I'm pretty sure the Kai dub reused the original recordings of the lines from those episodes in the previous Kai.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 pm

I think Tamio Oki would have been a better Roshi than Masaharu Sato.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think Tamio Oki would have been a better Roshi than Masaharu Sato.
At this point i am used to his Voice and Atleast his voice is better than the one in GT and 2008 JSAT.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think Tamio Oki would have been a better Roshi than Masaharu Sato.
At this point i am used to his Voice and Atleast his voice is better than the one in GT and 2008 JSAT.
I don't remember how he sounded in GT.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think Tamio Oki would have been a better Roshi than Masaharu Sato.
At this point i am used to his Voice and Atleast his voice is better than the one in GT and 2008 JSAT.
I don't remember how he sounded in GT.
He sounded awful like a weak old drunk retard man and at times like Junpei's Baba.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:46 pm

If I had to say who were the best and worst replacements in Kai:

Best replacements:´
Aya Hirano as Dende
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Nail
Katsuyuki Konishi as Ginyu
Hikaru Midorikawa as Tenshinhan

Worst replacements:
Ryuzaburo Otomo as King Cold
Hiroaki Miura as Zarbon
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
FubukiFoxx
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadala
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:49 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I dropped the show in the middle, but I did watch a decent amount of episodes. I watch all shows in their original format and have zero interest in dubs.

Anyways, yeah Kai was garbage compared to Z and even in it's own the performances were pretty sub-par. But, Kai was so poorly made as a product that even if there were good performances, it still wouldn't make it a good product.
I don't like to watch dubs either for that exact reason.

Tbh, if they were going to replace the animation in some of the scenes in Kai, they should have just done it for all of it - it's so jarring to see the animation shift suddenly from the classic series to the redone stuff. Like, the redrawn scenes look okay, but it's just such a contrast.

Perhaps, since they already shorted the pace, they should have just gone ahead and redrawn it all, even making each arc like one movie if they really wanted to. It would have been more interesting that just redubbing, censoring, and only replacing a couple of scenes.
"Pandemonium follows me everywhere I go. It's like a puppy I once fed... "

"Hold on! I'm about to say something really cool!"

"A sword mirrors its owner."

"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

https://i.imgur.com/PqIxy1Y.gif

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:If I had to say who were the best and worst replacements in Kai:

Best replacements:´
Aya Hirano as Dende
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Nail
Katsuyuki Konishi as Ginyu
Hikaru Midorikawa as Tenshinhan

Worst replacements:
Ryuzaburo Otomo as King Cold
Hiroaki Miura as Zarbon
but Original voices were Best, what's wrong with Zarbon Kai voice? i think it sounded like Hayami.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2642
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If I had to say who were the best and worst replacements in Kai:

Best replacements:´
Aya Hirano as Dende
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Nail
Katsuyuki Konishi as Ginyu
Hikaru Midorikawa as Tenshinhan

Worst replacements:
Ryuzaburo Otomo as King Cold
Hiroaki Miura as Zarbon
but Original voices were Best, what's wrong with Zarbon Kai voice? i think it sounded like Hayami.
There's nothing really wrong with Miura's Zarbon. I think he's fine, but I think Hayami just had more of a presence in the role. I would have preferred Nobuo Tobita for the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Does anyone here watch Kai in Japanese?

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If I had to say who were the best and worst replacements in Kai:

Best replacements:´
Aya Hirano as Dende
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Nail
Katsuyuki Konishi as Ginyu
Hikaru Midorikawa as Tenshinhan

Worst replacements:
Ryuzaburo Otomo as King Cold
Hiroaki Miura as Zarbon
but Original voices were Best, what's wrong with Zarbon Kai voice? i think it sounded like Hayami.
There's nothing really wrong with Miura's Zarbon. I think he's fine, but I think Hayami just had more of a presence in the role. I would have preferred Nobuo Tobita for the role.
but then again, the Japanese version of Kai just lacked the passion the Z version had
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Post Reply