As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Even having seen almost nothing from the Evangelion franchise, I was under the impression that the Evangelion dub was a good one, both in acting and accuracy. Of course I could be completely wrong about that...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Even having seen almost nothing from the Evangelion franchise, I was under the impression that the Evangelion dub was a good one, both in acting and accuracy. Of course I could be completely wrong about that...
I've heard complaints about it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Even having seen almost nothing from the Evangelion franchise, I was under the impression that the Evangelion dub was a good one, both in acting and accuracy. Of course I could be completely wrong about that...
The dub was actually mostly accurate from what I've seen which is rare for a 90's dub, but the acting was pretty stiff and some people just hate Spike Spencer's Shinji.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
The dub was actually mostly accurate from what I've seen which is rare for a 90's dub, but the acting was pretty stiff and some people just hateSpike Spencer's Shinji.
I can see why, Shinji is one of the worst characters in anime, although Megumi Ogata's performance is great.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I've heard complaints about it.
The dub was actually mostly accurate from what I've seen which is rare for a 90's dub, but the acting was pretty stiff and some people just hateSpike Spencer's Shinji.
I can see why, Shinji is one of the worst characters in anime, although Megumi Ogata's performance is great.

What make's Shinji a bad character? Other than the typical "Shinji's a wuss why doesn't he grow a pair" response.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:59 pm

dragondyle wrote:Wow, it's been forever since I've started a topic here! I've been debating this in my head for quite some time as to whether or not Z Kai replaces Z for me, as a dub fan. I mean that by does Z Kai replace Z in terms of the way I watch Z at all and in terms of if it completely overwrites the home release of Z on blu-ray. Z Kai, personally, is a perfect release and I can watch the dub with no problems at all. But I keep going back to if I should just get rid of my Z blu-rays since the dub is horrendous to my standards. Then again, it has the original Japanese version with original music as it aired originally. It's been a crazy battle in my head. :lol: My question for you is, does Z Kai replace Z in anyway for you or can you let both shows sit side-by-side in your head and on your shelf?
I was suffering the same dilemma but decided to test out and just sold my Z BDs for £100 (~$130). I can now re buy the Cell arc of Kai (I foolishly sold my season sets to get the parts not realising Parts 1-4 were super expensive). Between Kai and now the Japanese BA leak I realised I'm never gonna watch the Z BDs again.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:44 pm

If we are talking about the English Dubs then Yes, DBZ Kai Dub is my go to version whenever I want to Watch a Dragon Ball show in English.Though I am more of a Sub Fan now so for Japanese Version I prefer DBZ over Kai, still I like Japanese Kai but atleast we got a Faithful Dub now for the Dub fans
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 am

I was "raised" on the Z dub until 2004, but I have no love besides parody left for it. I'm glad they managed to do a bit better with the Buu arc than the rest of it, I suppose.

I get annoyed that they didn't re-cast Kaio, but I suppose it makes sense that Mr. Schemmel would prefer a slightly bigger paycheck. The reality of things keeps a few poor choices in place, but the quality of performance/direction at FUNImation has elevated so much that it barely matters compared to prior generations.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 am

Duo wrote:I was "raised" on the Z dub until 2004, but I have no love besides parody left for it. I'm glad they managed to do a bit better with the Buu arc than the rest of it, I suppose.

I get annoyed that they didn't re-cast Kaio, but I suppose it makes sense that Mr. Schemmel would prefer a slightly bigger paycheck. The reality of things keeps a few poor choices in place, but the quality of performance/direction at FUNImation has elevated so much that it barely matters compared to prior generations.
Yes I agree, FUNimation should have definitely recasted Kaiō for Kai Dub with Doc Morgan and not only him but other characters like Reacoom, Yamcha, Piccolo needed a new Voice Actor but I didn't knew Sean Schemmel gets a bigger Payment for Doing other roles in Kai too.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm watching the last bluray set for Kai 2014 as I type this. While I have problems with certain aspects (mainly just music, I HAAAAAATE fight it out, love Kuu Zen Zetsu Go and was kinda hoping they'd attempt to dub it, and lot of the OST for Buu Kai is underwhelming and reminds me of some problems I have with the Faulconer music), I do prefer Kai. There's some Z filler I love, but in terms of acting and writing, I prefer FUNimations Kai dub. I had NO idea how much I missed by watching the original Z dub. Small example, but there's the scene where Trunks and Goten confront Goku about why he wasn't there to help Vegeta, they even go as far to call him weak. In the original dub, Piccolo acts as if he agrees with the kids and says "WELL?! ANSWER THEM!" That bugged me as a kid. Then I watch Kai's dub (with Japanese subtitles on at the same time) and it changes from that ^, to Piccolo getting ready to lecture the boys on how Goku wasn't afraid and would've been there if he could. That changes things ENTIRELY. Now that's a small example, but there's plenty of instances where translating things wrong can just change things in small or huge ways. Besides that, it's just more enjoyable to hear the improved acting, better pacing, and better writing. It's amazing to see how many things were mistranslated.

Kai isn't prefect, but for revisiting Dragon Ball Z, Kai is the way for me to go.

Noooow, I wish they would've taken Kai as an opportunity to rename some of the goofy move names. Mainly Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, and Tri Beam. I mean heck, we call Kamehameha and masenko ha their names, and ey sound cool. Why not just call Destructo Disk Kienzan? I wouldn't care as much, if they didn't KIIIIINDA try redub Bing the move names in Kai at first. Wish they stuck to it,

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes and no. Kai has replaced the Z dub insofar as being the ideal where there is no comparably great alternative. If there is a version that is either perfect in Z or has no available alternative then Z still holds merit in my eyes.

For the in-house Funimation cast Kai has almost completely replaced the original Z dub for me. There is simply no comparison in the quality of voice acting. Moreover, and this is often overlooked in comparisons between the two dubs but the mixing in Kai is also vastly superior. Even with the muffled audio on the Blu-Rays the Kai track sounds so much more smooth and natural than Z.

That said, and while I am a far bigger fan of Kai than Z (mostly for the pacing) I can't write off Z or its Blu-Rays off entirely. The Japanese cast were in their prime for that version of the show, and Funimation's Blu-Rays offer the best sound quality available for this version. For Kai the Funimation cast performed better than the Japanese so there is little reason to watch Kai in Japanese other than being a curiosity. The Funi dub may not be the original version but it is still the best version to watch.

Additionally, despite the edits and censorship in Z we've also got the phenomenally talented Ocean cast. My feelings on this may change because we haven't yet seen the Ocean dub of Kai, but if that dub ever gets released (and God I hope it will) and the quality is on par with that of the uncut movie trilogy (which alongside Funi Kai I consider the gold standard of Z dubbing) the old Saban and Westwood dubs may too become obsolete to me, but only time will tell, if that time comes :think:

In short I take what I can in Kai if the modernization holds up but for other aspects of the series I love Z is still a suitable, or the only way to go.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Hah, not a chance in Hell.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yes and no. Kai has replaced the Z dub insofar as being the ideal where there is no comparably great alternative. If there is a version that is either perfect in Z or has no available alternative then Z still holds merit in my eyes.

For the in-house Funimation cast Kai has almost completely replaced the original Z dub for me. There is simply no comparison in the quality of voice acting. Moreover, and this is often overlooked in comparisons between the two dubs but the mixing in Kai is also vastly superior. Even with the muffled audio on the Blu-Rays the Kai track sounds so much more smooth and natural than Z.

That said, and while I am a far bigger fan of Kai than Z (mostly for the pacing) I can't write off Z or its Blu-Rays off entirely. The Japanese cast were in their prime for that version of the show, and Funimation's Blu-Rays offer the best sound quality available for this version. For Kai the Funimation cast performed better than the Japanese so there is little reason to watch Kai in Japanese other than being a curiosity. The Funi dub may not be the original version but it is still the best version to watch.
Although Kai has the better pacing, I still find myself preferring Z because of the Japanese cast and Kikuchi's music.
Additionally, despite the edits and censorship in Z we've also got the phenomenally talented Ocean cast. My feelings on this may change because we haven't yet seen the Ocean dub of Kai, but if that dub ever gets released (and God I hope it will) and the quality is on par with that of the uncut movie trilogy (which alongside Funi Kai I consider the gold standard of Z dubbing) the old Saban and Westwood dubs may too become obsolete to me, but only time will tell, if that time comes :think:

In short I take what I can in Kai if the modernization holds up but for other aspects of the series I love Z is still a suitable, or the only way to go.
Despite Kai having better pacing, I still prefer Z because of the Japanese cast and Kikuchi's music.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yes and no. Kai has replaced the Z dub insofar as being the ideal where there is no comparably great alternative. If there is a version that is either perfect in Z or has no available alternative then Z still holds merit in my eyes.

Although Kai has the better pacing, I still find myself preferring Z because of the Japanese cast and Kikuchi's music.

Despite Kai having better pacing, I still prefer Z because of the Japanese cast and Kikuchi's music.
Same for me.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:39 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:

That's why I don't rule out Z completely. I see Funi Kai and Japanese Z as more or less equal. The quality of voice acting is bang on in both, but each has their own unique strength over the other, Kai with its pacing and Z for the slightly (in my opinion) better placement of Kikuchi's score. I tend to flip flop in terms of which one I want to watch because there is merit to both.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't know if I agree with Funi Kai being on the same level of Japanese Z.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't know if I agree with Funi Kai being on the same level of Japanese Z.
Yes, even though FUNi improved a lot but it still doesn't hold a candle in front of Japanese version. The oozaru roar, amazing Voice acting by Seiyuus in their prime, great use Of Silence and amazing Kikuchi' score Makes Japanese Z a superior product to both Kai Dub and Sub.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 pm

100% Yes. I don't think I can ever watch the original dub ever again. To me the english VAs have reached a point now where they are just as good if not sometimes better than the Jap VAs. This is no surprise really given that the Jap VAs aren't in their prime anymore whereas the english VAs are finally in their prime and sound professional now. Although I'd even say they can rival the original Jap dub as well.

I think anyone saying that Kai still doesn't hold a candle to the Jap dub are just bound by complete nostalgia and aren't even open to the possibility that the english dub (or any dub for that matter) can ever be as good as the Jap dub. I'm not even claiming that the Kai dub is better in every way than the original, I just think they're very much near equals now and you'd have to be blinded by nostalgia not to at least see how close they are whether you prefer one dub or the other.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:19 am

Asura wrote:100% Yes. I don't think I can ever watch the original dub ever again. To me the english VAs have reached a point now where they are just as good if not sometimes better than the Jap VAs. This is no surprise really given that the Jap VAs aren't in their prime anymore whereas the english VAs are finally in their prime and sound professional now. Although I'd even say they can rival the original Jap dub as well.

I think anyone saying that Kai still doesn't hold a candle to the Jap dub are just bound by complete nostalgia and aren't even open to the possibility that the english dub (or any dub for that matter) can ever be as good as the Jap dub. I'm not even claiming that the Kai dub is better in every way than the original, I just think they're very much near equals now and you'd have to be blinded by nostalgia not to at least see how close they are whether you prefer one dub or the other.
I disagree,i personally think Kai Dub still doesn't Hold a Candle to Z Japanese. I have watched Both and also noticed how much improved the FUNimation's Cast sounded but still, Sean's Gokū still wasn't on Nozawa's Level in balancing Gokū's Both happy and angry side.

Infact in Kai 1.0 he hardly puts any manchild into his voice and at times made Gokū sound overly deep and too masculine than required, Sabat's Vegeta was great in Kai as he tried to sound more Natural but still he cannot Top Horikawa's Vegeta in Z Japanese which was much more Smoother and Posh Toned Prince.

Sabat's Piccolo was fine in Kai but all I hear is Sabat's natural voice but just in a Deeper Tone that's it. Ayres's Freeza was great for an English Dub but at times it sounded too British, Kaiō Dub voice was always bad one in Dub same for #19 and Fat Boo English Voice in Kai so that's why I think the Z Japanese is better than Kai Dub.

Not only this but Kai Dub took a lot of Liberties with script something they don't do with other dubs.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:31 am

Ayres' Frieza sounding British is fine with me. It adds a sense of classiness and regalness to Frieza. I love villains that have British accents.