As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.
And Nadolny's Gohan voice is literally her Goku but raspier so whats your point, how does a gruff raspy voice fit whats supposed to be a soft spoken polite little kid? If anything Gohan sounding a bit feminine would actually work better.
Maybe, but the same cannot be said of Goku.
I can sorta agree with you on that. Saffron beats them both as Goku though.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
And Nadolny's Gohan voice is literally her Goku but raspier so whats your point, how does a gruff raspy voice fit whats supposed to be a soft spoken polite little kid? If anything Gohan sounding a bit feminine would actually work better.
Maybe, but the same cannot be said of Goku.
I can sorta agree with you on that. Saffron beats them both as Goku though.
I've never heard her in any capacity outside maybe some quick clips in review videos, so I can't say.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
So are you a Nadolny fan? If so what do you think she does better to capture Gohan's character. I'm not trying to berate if you are, just curious.
I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.
I feel the voice works cause it plays well with his sheltered and shy personality and does more to be unique in a good way unlike the other voice which is honestly pretty generic in terms of dub voices.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.
I feel the voice works cause it plays well with his sheltered and shy personality and does more to be unique in a good way unlike the other voice which is honestly pretty generic in terms of dub voices.
Are you referring to Clinkenbeard's Gohan or Nadolny's? :?

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
So are you a Nadolny fan? If so what do you think she does better to capture Gohan's character. I'm not trying to berate if you are, just curious.
I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.
Agreed, even Kid Gohan's Latino and Japanese voice sound high pitched unlike Nadolny's Gohan which sounded too scratchy and Forced to the point it sounded so unnatural.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 am

It's replaced the FUNi dub voice casting for me. That's about it. I enjoy DBZ's musical score more, even though Kai has some good ones.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes and no, I usually watch Z because it's more convenient but I did love Kai, voice acting was superior and some scenes are done well.
I'll usually look up Kai version of clips when I need to get pumped

I'm still not feeling Kai: TFC, some scenes are awesome, yet some other feel horribly flat. And while I like the score of Super I'm not really feeling some of the music used in Kai: TFC

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:59 am

Hmmmm. Not really. There are scenes in Kai that I prefer than Z and vice versa. Although I will never prefer Clinkenbeard's Gohan over Nadolny's. That voice is too squeaky and annoying
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:34 am

The Patrolman wrote:Although I will never prefer Clinkenbeard's Gohan over Nadolny's. That voice is too squeaky and annoying
THANK YOU!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Although I will never prefer Clinkenbeard's Gohan over Nadolny's. That voice is too squeaky and annoying
THANK YOU!
My thoughts exactly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Heavily disagree, it's incredibly weird and jarring to hear Nadolny's exact same Goku performance coming out of Gohan's mouth.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Colleens Gohan voice isn't even squeaky, fat Buus dub voice is squeaky. Coleens Gohan is soft when speaking normally and a bit shrill when yelling, kind of like Nozawa.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Colleens Gohan voice isn't even squeaky, fat Buus dub voice is squeaky. Coleens Gohan is soft when speaking normally and a bit shrill when yelling, kind of like Nozawa.
that's exactly how i would sum up her performance but Nozawa does it slightly better than Collen.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:34 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Colleens Gohan voice isn't even squeaky, fat Buus dub voice is squeaky. Coleens Gohan is soft when speaking normally and a bit shrill when yelling, kind of like Nozawa.
It'd say it's justifiably squeaky in the Raditz and Vegeta portions, but it mellows out by Namek and becomes comparatively low by the Android arc to fit his age.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

I've been trying to wrack my brain to answer this question. For some reason, Kai never clicked with me. The dialog itself is a big improvement over Z's in terms of the cheesiness and accuracy, and the voices are more seasoned and one can make a strong argument that the replacement cast is better. However, it just doesn't do it for me. Here's the issue for me: if I want definitive Dragon Ball/Z, that's the Japanese version. Nobody's touching the Japanese version. That and the manga, to be quite frank. As a matter of fact, over the last couple of years, the manga has pretty much taken over the way that I enjoy Dragon Ball as it's a lot more convenient (and accurate, if you care about that) than watching it. So if I'm looking for that super faithful Dragon Ball Z experience, my go-to is the Japanese version. And yet, I love the dub. Why? How can that be? I think I got the answer. I love the cheesiness, I love the inaccuracies, I love that it feels like a totally different series than the Japanese version. From the music to the line delivery, to the voices themselves -- I mean, damn, it comes off as this ultra-cheesy Saturday morning cartoon rather than Dragon Ball. And I freakin' love it. I'm not saying it's done "correctly" or that it even lines up with the Japanese version, but I just love the unintentional parody that Funimation created with its attempt at Z. I kind of look at it like they got to the series before Team Four Star did except where TFS parodies the dub (mostly), the Funimation dub parodies the Japanese version. Hell, I don't even like watching the redub that they did for the second and third "seasons." I love hearing that horrendous Vegeta performance that Sabat did (that's why I watch the singles for those episodes). It's the power of nostalgia for me and I admit it.

So, if you grew up with the Funimation Z dub and actually loved it, why would Kai replace it for you? It's no mystery in today's world, that Funimation's original Z series is not done faithfully to the Japanese version. If you love it anyway, how can you really switch over to Kai as your standard when it's so totally different? Now, if you're a fan who's been annoyed at the fact that you didn't get a faithful representation of an English-speaking dub, then yeah, Kai's for you (if you haven't been pushed away to watching the Japanese version exclusively out of habit). And of course, if your first introduction to the series was through Kai, I mean, it's pretty certain that it's going to be your go-to.

Personally for me, if I want the faithful telling of the "Z" story, the Japanese version is pretty accessible. Hell, I have five releases and two streaming subscriptions that can fulfill that for me. But if I'm looking for a dub, then I'll take my hilarious inexperienced Funimation one. Well... I'm kind of more into the Ocean/Westwood dub of it than Funimation's, but that's just more nostalgia (despite not growing up with the Westwood dub, I sure did love the Ocean dub of the first two arcs) coming up to take me away on a wonderful ride.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:[Post was long, just look above]
Huh! That's a very unique take. I don't agree with it, but I totally understand and I appreciate it a lot!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:16 pm

KBABZ wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:[Post was long, just look above]
Huh! That's a very unique take. I don't agree with it, but I totally understand and I appreciate it a lot!
I'm just saying how it is for me. It's like if tomorrow TFS declared that they were doing their own full re-dub of Z to be as accurate as possible -- it might be nice, but it wouldn't replace their original work for me because I knew what I signed up for and appreciated their take on it. It's really the same with Funimation -- if I want accuracy, I'll watch the original; if I'm watching Funimation, I want that version. I can admire and appreciate their dub of Kai, but ultimately, it is lost in the shuffle right in between the Japanese version and their Z dub for me. If you can't do something better than the original, make something different, and the Z dub certainly is different.

While I appreciate accuracy with other animes and dubs in general, Dragon Ball is a different animal. I was more or less forced into watching the Japanese version years ago to experience the story in the way it was meant to be seen. Thus, I know that story very, very well. I am more than happy to watch the Japanese version. See, as opposed to other animes where I would have to actually sit and pay close attention to the subtitles if I were watching the Japanese version, I don't have to do that with Dragon Ball -- I can just have it on and know what's happening. I like to have the TV on in the background while I'm doing other things, so if I'm exposing myself to something new, I appreciate an accurate dub. But that ship has sailed years ago for Dragon Ball, so once again, for the "way it was meant to be seen" experience, I'll go to the Japanese version every single time unlike any other anime. Thus, for me, I couldn't care any less how accurate Funimation dubbed it a decade later, I still have no real reason to watch it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'm just saying how it is for me. It's like if tomorrow TFS declared that they were doing their own full re-dub of Z to be as accurate as possible -- it might be nice, but it wouldn't replace their original work for me because I knew what I signed up for and appreciated their take on it. It's really the same with Funimation -- if I want accuracy, I'll watch the original; if I'm watching Funimation, I want that version. I can admire and appreciate their dub of Kai, but ultimately, it is lost in the shuffle right in between the Japanese version and their Z dub for me. If you can't do something better than the original, make something different, and the Z dub certainly is different.
Implying that they Kai dub isn't nearly as good as the sub, or even Super. :yawn:
I can certainly disagree if that's what you actually meant. There are certainly dubs that are just as good, if not better, than the Japanese version. The "better" pile's much lower than the "just as good" one, especially since they're both based on personal preference. I personally encourage dubs to be as accurate as possible in translation, while also not being a more "accuracy" snob to not allow for dubbing teams to have a bit of leeway to accommodate the new language they're dubbing the thing into. Because, if you're not gonna dub something mean to be seen in another language, you should both tell the story, have character personalities intact, & have the dialogue be consistent in its translation & scripting, otherwise you either get dubs that aren't even half accurate like Yugioh, or you get dubs that are MORE than half accurate, but throw in stupid one-liner throwaway jokes &/or lines that make no sense, like Digimon. That era of anime dubbing is dead & gone & we should embrace this current era.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm in the weird middle ground where I prefer accuracy to the original story, but I'm attached to the dub voices (thanks to the OG Dragon Ball dub). I also prefer Kai's tighter script and story overall with less filler; I personally don't care nor would have the time to watch the ENTIRE original Z no matter what language I'm hearing it in.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:17 pm

KBABZ wrote:I'm in the weird middle ground where I prefer accuracy to the original story, but I'm attached to the dub voices (thanks to the OG Dragon Ball dub). I also prefer Kai's tighter script and story overall with less filler; I personally don't care nor would have the time to watch the ENTIRE original Z no matter what language I'm hearing it in.
Same.