As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by dragondyle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Wow, it's been forever since I've started a topic here! I've been debating this in my head for quite some time as to whether or not Z Kai replaces Z for me, as a dub fan. I mean that by does Z Kai replace Z in terms of the way I watch Z at all and in terms of if it completely overwrites the home release of Z on blu-ray. Z Kai, personally, is a perfect release and I can watch the dub with no problems at all. But I keep going back to if I should just get rid of my Z blu-rays since the dub is horrendous to my standards. Then again, it has the original Japanese version with original music as it aired originally. It's been a crazy battle in my head. :lol: My question for you is, does Z Kai replace Z in anyway for you or can you let both shows sit side-by-side in your head and on your shelf?
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 am

As primarily a sub fan, I love watching both and one doesn't replace the other for me. However, I've loved the Funi dub since the Toonami days when I was in middle school but I've found that since Kai, I can't stomach the old dub anymore. I've tried several times to sit down for a rewatch, but I just can't do it. Especially the Freeza arc stuff. Not even nostalgia is enough anymore. Basically, no Kai doesn't replace Z, but if I'm going to watch a dub, it can only be from Kai onwards.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 am

Not at all. I really enjoy Kai as an alternate way to experience Z, but at the end of the day it doesn't have the Team Faulconer score, there are certain filler scenes that I enjoy, and I still like Nadolny's Gohan a bit more than Clinkenbeard's. And I enjoy the corny dialogue from English Z, as well as Goku's heroic portrayal.

Kai has a lot going for it too though, such as better acting, being able to get through the story faster if you're not in the mood for filler, and some really good insert songs here and there like "Super Dragon Soul, and "Only a chilling energy". And the Yamamoto score is pretty enjoyable itself if you have access to it. I've never been too bothered about 100% accuracy to the Japanese version, but it is sort of fascinating to compare the dialogue of Z and Kai where I find myself enjoying the same scenes for slightly different reasons.

I'm glad that both exist as it provides more options when it comes to rewatching the series, which prevents it from getting stale. Though If I had to pick a favourite it would still be Z.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

Yes, the Z dub was awful in almost every regard.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:57 am

By the time Kai was coming out in america, I just finished up collecting the orange bricks. I didn't see the point of buying the series twice. Yeah Kai has a better dub but I'm fine with the original dub. Despite season 3, the rest of it isn't as bad as people make it out too be.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

No. I'm fine with both versions. I watch them along with the sub for Super. It's all good to me. If you look, each version of the show has its ups and downs.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Not at all. I never watch Kai. Every now and then I'll pop in the Blu-ray and maybe have a couple of episodes on in the background before I turn it off. Yet, I can watch DBZ all the time. Don't know what it is. But if I had to introduce someone to Z, I'd probably have them watch Kai just in case they want to tap out due to its length.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:23 pm

It took me a while to actually give Kai a chance, I'd had all my old funi prejudices.

i.e Nadoly is Gohan I can't have Luffy voicing him. (Now I can distinguish the differences Colleen does)
This isn't the original musical score
I was accustomed to other original cast members like Tiffany Volmer. I even stubbornly enjoyed Linda Young.

Having spent time watching Kai now it is superb. the only thing I'm still never sold on is Colleen as 18 (though her performance is better in the final chapters.)

I still would've liked a kai level dubbed version of the original DBZ, because as silly as it sounds I do enjoy a lot of the early filler and such.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:23 pm

It's still rough for me to watch the show in japanese when masako isn't being precious. I will never watch Z's dub in full again. Only youtube clips for memes and Brian Drummond.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Dragon Boxes (and i just nabbed the Level sets) for Z in Japanese, Kai on Blu Ray in Parts for English. The end. Period. Do I have everything else? Yes absolutely. I am a perfectionist completionist collector. Will I ever touch the other stuff again? Extremely unlikely.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:26 pm

I haven't touched Z since I got into Kai in 2010 and don't plan to ever go back. Kai is and always will be my definitive version of Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 pm

For the Freeza Saga, the Kai dub has replaced the Z dub for me. I can't stand the Z dub during the Freeza saga anymore lol. And I'm a fan of both dubs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 pm

When it comes to the original performances and technical aspect provided from the Japanese cast and production, no. When it comes to the English performances, hell yes.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Unquestionably, yes. I cannot watch the previous DBZ dubs because of how badly they've aged (or rather, the dubs were never good to begin with and I was too young to notice). I only wish Dragon Ball could get redubbed too. The pacing is exactly what I want it to be and I don't miss the padded material from the original anime. I like the new music, my favorite composer is now the latecoming Sumitomo, all though I enjoyed Yamamoto too. Kikuchi's music now sounds bland. In short, I vastly prefer the new dub.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:31 pm

I watch Z with the Japanese version and Kai with the English version. Thank God for Kai's dub. I don't have to listen to cringe-worthy performances anymore.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:As primarily a sub fan, I love watching both and one doesn't replace the other for me. However, I've loved the Funi dub since the Toonami days when I was in middle school but I've found that since Kai, I can't stomach the old dub anymore. I've tried several times to sit down for a rewatch, but I just can't do it. Especially the Freeza arc stuff. Not even nostalgia is enough anymore. Basically, no Kai doesn't replace Z, but if I'm going to watch a dub, it can only be from Kai onwards.
Man I feel you dude. I got the dboxes but I prefer the dub over the Japanese, now that I got kai it's almost like I got no reason to own the dboxes. I just can't go back to the old performances
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Absolutely. I'm a stickler for pacing, and even Kai's is just "tolerable". I simply cannot deal with Z's pacing, or anything close to it, even in other shows. I've been editing a cut of One Piece episodes just to be able to watch it with my sister and not get burnt out after a couple episodes.

Kai's dubbing is top-notch, too. I don't usually mind slightly-awkward or innacurate dubs, but Kai's is good enough for me to raise my standards. "Nothing worse than...Evangelion or something, I guess. Whatever. I dunno"

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Shaddy wrote:Absolutely. I'm a stickler for pacing, and even Kai's is just "tolerable". I simply cannot deal with Z's pacing, or anything close to it, even in other shows. I've been editing a cut of One Piece episodes just to be able to watch it with my sister and not get burnt out after a couple episodes.

Kai's dubbing is top-notch, too. I don't usually mind slightly-awkward or innacurate dubs, but Kai's is good enough for me to raise my standards. "Nothing worse than...Evangelion or something, I guess. Whatever. I dunno"
Eva rebuild's where a second chance at dubbing the franchise, and like Funi improved with Kai. The Eva rebuild dubs are a vast improvement on the original series IMO.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Absolutely. I'm a stickler for pacing, and even Kai's is just "tolerable". I simply cannot deal with Z's pacing, or anything close to it, even in other shows. I've been editing a cut of One Piece episodes just to be able to watch it with my sister and not get burnt out after a couple episodes.

Eva rebuild's where a second chance at dubbing the franchise, and like Funi improved with Kai. The Eva rebuild dubs are a vast improvement on the original series IMO.
Are the Evangelion Rebuild dubs really good?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

Are the Evangelion Rebuild dubs really good?
Well a majority of the original dub cast from 96 was replaced except for Shinji, Asuka, and Misato and those 3 seem to have improved. Overall the rebuild dubs feel more professional, like a modern dub.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu