Question about Recast

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Question about Recast

Post by Tian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 am

I always wondered something about Kai's English dub and it's about why Christopher Sabat decided to recast Jeice and Burter roles with Liebrecht and Mignogna? I am not saying they are bad at but I found it strange he stayed as Recoome but not as Jeice and Burter.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Question about Recast

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 am

It probably wasn't anything more complicated than Sabat not wanting to do every voice again, especially now that they actually have a large talent pool to choose from as opposed to the old days when they had to literally pull people from the next room to do bit parts.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:It probably wasn't anything more complicated than Sabat not wanting to do every voice again, especially now that they actually have a large talent pool to choose from as opposed to the old days when they had to literally pull people from the next room to do bit parts.
I think he should have only voiced Vegeta, Shenron and Bubbles in Kai seeing how FUNimation is a much better company now but I don't know why he still voices so many characters instead of giving someone else a chance from the Talented pool of Voice actors that FUNimation has.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:It probably wasn't anything more complicated than Sabat not wanting to do every voice again, especially now that they actually have a large talent pool to choose from as opposed to the old days when they had to literally pull people from the next room to do bit parts.
I think he should have only voiced Vegeta, Shenron and Bubbles in Kai seeing how FUNimation is a much better company now but I don't know why he still voices so many characters instead of giving someone else a chance from the Talented pool of Voice actors that FUNimation has.
I would rather have his Vegeta and Piccolo recasted, and have him stay as Shenlong/Porunga and as Yamcha. They are my favorite Sabat Voices

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
There was a rumor going around at one point that he wanted to fly down Scott McNeil to do Piccolo in Kai but couldn't due to scheduling conflicts. I don't think I ever read or saw an actual quote verifying that, though.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:20 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
There was a rumor going around at one point that he wanted to fly down Scott McNeil to do Piccolo in Kai but couldn't due to scheduling conflicts. I don't think I ever read or saw an actual quote verifying that, though.
i Would love to see Scott McNeil's Take on Piccolo in Kai with Accurate Scripts.
simtek34 wrote: I would rather have his Vegeta and Piccolo recasted, and have him stay as Shenlong/Porunga and as Yamcha. They are my favorite Sabat Voices
I think Vegeta is really the Role which Defined his career and he is known for that voice so it is highly unlikely that's gonna happen but his Yamcha just sounds like a Surfer dude.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 am

I don't mind Vegeta and Piccolo not getting recast because Sabat does a much better job. It would have been awkward to have McNeil in two dubs of Kai. There are actors that could do better in those two roles, but he gets the job done, Now Yamcha should have been recasted. Sabat's Yamcha just has this surfer vibe to it, and he's not as natural as Furuya is in the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't mind Vegeta and Piccolo not getting recast because Sabat does a much better job. It would have been awkward to have McNeil in two dubs of Kai. There are actors that could do better in those two roles, but he gets the job done, Now Yamcha should have been recasted. Sabat's Yamcha just has this surfer vibe to it, and he's not as natural as Furuya is in the role.
I honestly don't see the surfer voice in Sabat's Yamcha at all.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't mind Vegeta and Piccolo not getting recast because Sabat does a much better job. It would have been awkward to have McNeil in two dubs of Kai. There are actors that could do better in those two roles, but he gets the job done, Now Yamcha should have been recasted. Sabat's Yamcha just has this surfer vibe to it, and he's not as natural as Furuya is in the role.
I really haven't heard "surfer" Yamaha since the early Z dub. Since Dragon Ball and now Kai, Sabat sounds just fine to me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I really haven't heard "surfer" Yamaha since the early Z dub. Since Dragon Ball and now Kai, Sabat sounds just fine to me.
Yeah, maybe in the early Freeza-Android dub, but otherwise I don't hear it. Especialy in the recent stuff.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Tian wrote:I always wondered something about Kai's English dub and it's about why Christopher Sabat decided to recast Jeice and Burter roles with Liebrecht and Mignogna? I am not saying they are bad at but I found it strange he stayed as Recoome but not as Jeice and Burter.
I'm surprised as well that Sabat still voiced recoome in Kai, they should have given it to patrick seitz he would have been a great recoome.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Tian wrote:I always wondered something about Kai's English dub and it's about why Christopher Sabat decided to recast Jeice and Burter roles with Liebrecht and Mignogna? I am not saying they are bad at but I found it strange he stayed as Recoome but not as Jeice and Burter.
I'm surprised as well that Sabat still voiced recoome in Kai, they should have given it to patrick seitz he would have been a great recoome.
Oh yeah, Seitz would have been cool as Recoome. He could have done even a better Nappa than Parsons.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Snart

Post by Snart » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 pm

It most likely comes down to the fact that Burter and Jeice have a scratchy voice similar to Vegeta's while Recoome's bold voice is an unrecognizable contrast to his other past voices.
Goku Black Rosé is beautiful

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Snart wrote:It most likely comes down to the fact that Burter and Jeice have a scratchy voice similar to Vegeta's while Recoome's bold voice is an unrecognizable contrast to his other past voices.
Now I'm just imagining Sabat voicing Vegeta using his Recoome voice.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:58 am

I think he only played Burter for the remaster because Mark Britten wasn't working for Funimation anymore, he sounded too much like Sabat's original Vegeta voice and Jeice sounded like an Australian Yamcha.

They were probably recast to give the characters more of a variety.

I preferred Sabat's Jeice however, I always found the Australian accent to be badass

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 am

In the 2005 redub of DBZ (the Ultimate Uncut Dub), apparently Mignogna played or was going to play Burter before the UUE version was discontinued.

My guess as why Sabat took the role was due to a problem getting Mignogna back in the booth to record the lines. Sabat was also playing Burter since the video games came out on the PS2.

I actually really like his Jeice. I would rather have had Sabat give up Recoome and keep his role of Jeice.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:10 am

I hate that Chris Sabat of all people ended up playing Burter in the redub. I know that Mignogna and Britten probably weren't available, but I wish Funimation wasn't so cheap as to just give Sabat another role just because he could do a bad impression of the character. Just like the good old days, I guess. People can complain about modern Piccolo and Vegeta, but Burter sounds so much like Vegeta in the Z redub at times that it's not even funny.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Well you know, Recoome is Sabat's favorite Ginyu force member.