DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
FutureTrunks
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by FutureTrunks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I have all the DBZ DVD's but I want to get them all in blu ray and then collect Kai on Blu Ray
-Mark

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:47 pm

FutureTrunks wrote:I have all the DBZ DVD's but I want to get them all in blu ray and then collect Kai on Blu Ray
The Season Set Blu-rays aren't really much of an upgrade unless you really want the FUNimation dub in lossless quality but otherwise, better just to hold on for FUNi's next Z release.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
FutureTrunks
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by FutureTrunks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
FutureTrunks wrote:I have all the DBZ DVD's but I want to get them all in blu ray and then collect Kai on Blu Ray
The Season Set Blu-rays aren't really much of an upgrade unless you really want the FUNimation dub in lossless quality but otherwise, better just to hold on for FUNi's next Z release.
whats the next release?
-Mark

User avatar
KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: The End of Time

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:52 pm

FutureTrunks wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:
FutureTrunks wrote:I have all the DBZ DVD's but I want to get them all in blu ray and then collect Kai on Blu Ray
The Season Set Blu-rays aren't really much of an upgrade unless you really want the FUNimation dub in lossless quality but otherwise, better just to hold on for FUNi's next Z release.
whats the next release?
There is none so far, but just wait a few years and they'll probably announce DBZ: the Bigger, Longer, and Uncut 4K Edition.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Personally I doubt Funimation is looking that hard into re-releasing Z. The Blu-Rays will still be selling solidly, and they're currently in the midst of releasing Super on Blu-Ray. There's no incentive to re-release Z for them.

User avatar
GamerSkull
Regular
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Location: United States

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 pm

So the Kai blu-rays seem worth it (and eventually I'll get the when I can) but I have another question pertaining to this... how are The Final Chapter blu-rays in comparison to the regular Kai and Z blu-rays?
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:23 am

GamerSkull wrote:So the Kai blu-rays seem worth it (and eventually I'll get the when I can) but I have another question pertaining to this... how are The Final Chapter blu-rays in comparison to the regular Kai and Z blu-rays?
Here it gets much more clear-cut: if you prefer the improved dub scripting and performances, you should get TFC (it doesn't use redrawn frames anymore, either!). However, it's well-known by this point that TFC was only made in widescreen with a near-Orange Brick level grade that gave a greenish-yellow tint. As well, the reduced filler was not as concise as it could have been, however much of the seriously distracting stuff like Dabura, Bulma, Chi-Chi and Videl in heaven has thankfully been cut. The Sumitomo score is contentious, but if you don't mind it, a bit of repetition, and intend to progress into Super, it actually works as a nice bridge.

They're nowhere near as good as Kai 09, but just on the dub audio and scripting alone it's better than the Orange Bricks.

User avatar
GamerSkull
Regular
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Location: United States

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:31 pm

KBABZ wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:So the Kai blu-rays seem worth it (and eventually I'll get the when I can) but I have another question pertaining to this... how are The Final Chapter blu-rays in comparison to the regular Kai and Z blu-rays?
Here it gets much more clear-cut: if you prefer the improved dub scripting and performances, you should get TFC (it doesn't use redrawn frames anymore, either!). However, it's well-known by this point that TFC was only made in widescreen with a near-Orange Brick level grade that gave a greenish-yellow tint. As well, the reduced filler was not as concise as it could have been, however much of the seriously distracting stuff like Dabura, Bulma, Chi-Chi and Videl in heaven has thankfully been cut. The Sumitomo score is contentious, but if you don't mind it, a bit of repetition, and intend to progress into Super, it actually works as a nice bridge.

They're nowhere near as good as Kai 09, but just on the dub audio and scripting alone it's better than the Orange Bricks.
That's good to know. I might just get them for the quality of the dub alone.

I can watch regular Z for the japanese cast and Kai for the dub cast. The best of both worlds.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I can watch regular Z for the japanese cast and Kai for the dub cast. The best of both worlds.
Quite honestly this should be one of the questions on a "Should I Buy Kai?" FAQ section. It's really the only way to do it, with the small exception of the Z filler arcs which seem to have been quite well-received, like Gohan's training and the post-Buu aftermath episode with Goku and the egg.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 am

Bumping this with the news that The Final Chapters is getting a Complete Series Blu-Ray release by Madman (so for Australia, basically).

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ies-bluray

User avatar
Dagon
Banned
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 am

Re: DBZ Kai Blu-Ray vs. DBZ Blu-Ray (FUNi)

Post by Dagon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 am

The Z Blu Rays aren't as bad as people make them out to be. You cherry pick a few scenes that have some bad lines. Should there be a re-remaster for Z Blu rays, yeah, there should, but what we have is still pretty good.

https://imgur.com/a/JaQhD

If you care about the quality of the dub, get kai. If you just want nostalgia or to see the original unedited series, then Z is for you. I have both, so I'm happy.

Post Reply