MangaUK announce TFC for UK!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: MangaUK announce TFC for UK!

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:41 pm

For anyone who hasn't bought these sets yet parts 2 and 3 can now be bought for £14.39.

Great deal, I'd be jumping on it if I hadn't bought them previously.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:41 pm For anyone who hasn't bought these sets yet parts 2 and 3 can now be bought for £14.39.

Great deal, I'd be jumping on it if I hadn't bought them previously.
Base.com has those 2 for the same price, and part 1 for £13:99;
https://www.base.com/fsearch.htm?search=dragon+ball+kai

I'd be all over it myself if I hadn't imported already.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:16 am

I ordered all 3 parts. Parts 2+3 came 1 comes next week.

To those that have it 3 questions

1) is it same opening theme?

2) what are video commentaries? Are they picture and picture ones or are they audio commentaries most dvds ect... Have?

3) how's the dub Vs orginal TV version of Z?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:57 am

SSJmole wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:16 am how's the dub Vs orginal TV version of Z?
Sumitomo’s score is somewhat better than Faulconer. On the other hand Super Buu’s theme is probably the best thing Faulconer productions ever did.

Chris Sabat’s Piccolo and Vegeta and Sean Schemmel’s Goku sound significantly better than they did in 2001-2003

The scripts aren’t as accurate as Kai but more accurate than Z’s dub.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:57 am
SSJmole wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:16 am how's the dub Vs orginal TV version of Z?
Sumitomo’s score is somewhat better than Faulconer. On the other hand Super Buu’s theme is probably the best thing Faulconer productions ever did.

Chris Sabat’s Piccolo and Vegeta and Sean Schemmel’s Goku sound significantly better than they did in 2001-2003

Ah cool that sounds great thank you.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 am

SSJmole wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 pm

To add one thing regarding the script, it's not an issue of accuracy as much as slight changes to differentiate it from Z's somewhat accurate dub (From what I've heard). For example, In Z Vegeta says the kids going Ssj has turned it into a Bargain sale, which is what he says in Japanese. Kai has it as Bargain Basement sale instead. Both are right, Kai just added a word in to slightly differentiate it from Z.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:07 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 am
SSJmole wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 pm

To add one thing regarding the script, it's not an issue of accuracy as much as slight changes to differentiate it from Z's somewhat accurate dub (From what I've heard). For example, In Z Vegeta says the kids going Ssj has turned it into a Bargain sale, which is what he says in Japanese. Kai has it as Bargain Basement sale instead. Both are right, Kai just added a word in to slightly differentiate it from Z.
The Z dub did not have a somewhat-accurate script. Though there are places where it didn't deviate, whereas the Kai TFC dub did.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am

Does anyone know the answer to 1+ 3 ? Lol

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 pm

SSJmole wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am Does anyone know the answer to 1+ 3 ? Lol

The opening theme on the US sets is the international theme for Kai TFC, Fight It Out. I assume it'll be the same for this set since the UK releases tend to be based on the US releases.

The commentaries are picture in picture with the actors in-studio.

The dub is mostly accurate with good acting, though there are a few weird script/delivery decisions. It's nothing too terribly distracting IMO. Definitely a huge improvement over Z's Boo arc dub (even if that was the best of the old dub, it was still mostly bad), and it's a better lead-in to the Super dub due to them reusing Kai audio for flashbacks. The biggest thing holding it back is the baggage from the Japanese side (less than stellar remastering, widescreen, low budget Sumitomo, too much filler kept), none of which is a dealbreaker for me. Your mileage may vary, though. I'd say if you want to watch a dub for this arc, Kai is the best way to do it.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Thank you. Picture and picture commentaries sounds really fun.

The theme / opening I meant was I was wondering if still dragon soul from Kai , but you confirmed it isn't , that's a shame but hopefully new them is good

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm

Finally part 1 came lol my thoughts so far :

- Theme song is not good. I wish it had been dragon soul again.

+ I actually don't notice if anything is cut from aspect ration into OKs great wide-screen

+ Voices sound great

- why did it recap all of series when it's billed as continuation of Kai , makes it awkward to watch all back to back imo

+ Love the boxsets have 3 disks and each set has 20-30 episodes so much better than 11-13 super sets do

+ The hd transfer looks incredible imo it looks like a show made now.

I'm glad I got these

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:29 am

SSJmole wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm I actually don't notice if anything is cut from aspect ration into OKs great wide-screen

why did it recap all of series when it's billed as continuation of Kai , makes it awkward to watch all back to back imo

Love the box sets have 3 disks and each set has 20-30 episodes so much better than 11-13 super sets do

The hd transfer looks incredible imo it looks like a show made now.
Toei does a way better job at transferring the image to 16:9 than Funimation.

There was a 3 year gap between Kai 1.0 and Kai 2.0. I agree it wasn't needed but that's why it was done.

Same here as I was worried they'd release 6 sets with 11-12 episodes each. They probably skipped to 3 because of how long they had to wait to release it, and with fans being equally tired of the long wait.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't hate it as Kai 2.0's image has a really bad reputation. I understand what fans don't like, it just doesn't bother me personally.

All in all, I'm happy that Kai got finished, even if it took longer than I would've liked. I just wish we could've gotten a Kai version of the original DB as well.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:29 am I just wish we could've gotten a Kai version of the original DB as well.
I would love that. I also wish GT was Blu-ray as I have original and get on dvd but have Kai + super on Blu-ray lol everything on Blu-ray would be great.

But yeah Kai + tfc are my favourite way to watch Z. I loved orginal when it aired but Z Kai just flows much better and is paced great.

When you say Toei does a way better job at transferring the image to 16:9 than Funimation., Isn't the Manga boxsets just re-released Funimation? Either way the wide-screen hd of these looks great.

I'm now super excited to see Goku Vs majin vegeta in hd as that's always been my personal favourite Dragonball fight. I'm up to episode with the strength test going to watch a lot more today with nephew lol

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:58 am

SSJmole wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 amBut yeah Kai + tfc are my favourite way to watch Z. I loved orginal when it aired but Z Kai just flows much better and is paced great.

Isn't the Manga boxsets just re-released Funimation? Either way the wide-screen hd of these looks great.

I'm now super excited to see Goku Vs majin vegeta in hd as that's always been my personal favorite Dragon ball fight.
Same here. I just don't have the time to watch 291 episodes so this is a great alternative, especially with the new dub.

The problem with Funimation's cropping is that you end up losing important parts of the image like heads and whatnot. Toei took a frame by frame process to insure that nothing important was lost. If there was more important image on the top, they'd cut more from the bottom and vice versa. Funimation just cut equally from top and bottom, regardless of it working or not.

That's my 3rd favorite fight after Goku vs Freeza and Goku vs Piccolo JR. It doesn't get as much attention as I think it deserves.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm

On final boxset. My only real complaint is its no cut as much, by conparrion to saiyan saga - cell saga it is moving at glacier speed.

However still fun to watch and I love watching it all. Looks great sounds great and worth buying.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm

SSJmole wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pmOn final boxset. My only real complaint is its no cut as much, by conparrion to saiyan saga - cell saga it is moving at glacier speed.
I agree there's more that could've been cut (especially between Vegeta's sacrifice and Gotenks' debut), but I don't think you could cut out as much as they did with the first 3 arcs. I'm glad you enjoy it as it gets too much hate in my opinion.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Well, I decided to support this UK release of Kai TFC after all.

I was tempted by the prices they were going for. Luckily I sold my US sets on eBay and got back what it would cost + shipping to purchase all three of Manga UK's Parts.

Glad to have done my part so we can keep getting stuff licensed here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 am

SSJmole wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 am When you say Toei does a way better job at transferring the image to 16:9 than Funimation., Isn't the Manga boxsets just re-released Funimation? Either way the wide-screen hd of these looks great.
Unlike Dragon Ball Z, which was originally 4:3 and Funimation themselves cropped it into 16:9, The Final Chapters were made into 16:9 by Toei. Toei cropped all of Kai (though their 1.0 Blu-ray releases were 4:3, which is what Funimation used as their standard release) and Funimation just used Toei's video.

My only issue with TFC, is the green tint.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm Well, I decided to support this UK release of Kai TFC after all.

I was tempted by the prices they were going for. Luckily I sold my US sets on eBay and got back what it would cost + shipping to purchase all three of Manga UK's Parts.

Glad to have done my part so we can keep getting stuff licensed here.
Congratulations! I agree we should support the series whenever we can by buying the official stuff.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 am

I finally decided to get the UK release of TFC, as all 3 parts are currently £15 on zavvi.

I'd imported the US release a few months before Manga UK announced theirs, but I still wanted the UK release for consistency with my Kai 1.0 blu-rays, and I just like supporting the UK releases.

I've had the urge to rewatch Kai for awhile now, so I'll probably get on that after my current Z rewatch.