Did you get used to your Kai dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: Did you get used to your Kai dub?

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:15 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SSJmole wrote:The Z Kai Blu-ray's from Manga in UK have another benefit. I have a little nephew who got curious about dragon Ball after seeing the new switch game get announced and seeing heroes. So I asked if he wanted to try it. I put Z Kai on as it's got a much better flow as less filler. He started watching today got through Disc 1 (first 9 episodes) and now loves Dragonball. Gohan is his favourite.

Which is great as it's perfect for new fans to get in to. Sure he makes mistakes like he called Goku , Geki and he calls Chiaotzu "the little mime" but he is loving it so a whole new generation can use Kai to get in to it. Which is fantastic for me. As now I have something else to enjoy with him (I had star wars but I don't like current) and superhero movies and shows. And seeing a kid surprised and enjoying it all new for the first time makes it special as you remember how you felt the first time.

Can't wait to get to frieza with with him. As I remember I was so impressed by super Saiyan the first time , by SSJ2 however it lost some of its charm and by SSJ3 I'm not as wow'd anymore as everyone has it.
He'll probably find it weird how the music transitions from theatrically cinematic to retro incidental music.

Maybe , maybe not. He's just enoying the story ect.. I don't think music will bother him at all. But I'll find out. It's still cool he now loves Dragonball and watching it with him

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:58 am

Danfun64 wrote:Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Staying with the Kikuchi Kai score for the entire 98 episodes is more consistent than going from Kikuchi (OG DB) to Yamamoto and then (inevitably) back to Kikuchi before switching to Sumitomo starting with ep 99...but the Kikuchi Kai arrangement is so misplaced, and so many tracks are used far earlier than they should have been from a chronological standpoint. Not to mention that Kai (before ep... 96 I think?) was meant to go with Yamamoto.

Again, thanks to their laziness, MangaUK is the ONLY company still selling new copies of Kai with the Yamamoto score.
Kinda confused what you mean by "OG DB" to Yamamoto, are you referring going from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Kai? In that case, it's not even the same thing.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi, Dragon Ball GT by Akihito Tokunaga, Dragon Ball Kai by Kenji Yamamoto and Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters by Norihito Sumitomo. So, having different composers isn't the problem but going from one style to another. Kai TFC isn't a continuation of Kai (but rather a sequel) so again, having music by a different composer isn't an issue.

The music by Kikuchi is entirely different from Yamamoto's and it didn't help they overused the same BGMs so often because apparently it was only a selected bunch that were in Stereo, or something.

By the way, I know users on this community use the term "OG DB" to try and clarify what they're talking about but even then it can create confusion and being that it's fans, it's kind of cringey to refer to it as such. Next thing you know there'll people calling DBZ as "OG DBZ", the DBZ movies as "OG DBZ movies" and DBK as "OG Kai". I just stick to the official titles without adding or removing.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Watched part of namek today. Dodoria was chasing them and Krillin uses Solar Flare to escape yet he said something different. I'll assume Taiyōken as that's listed on Wikipedia but no! Just no. It's Solar Flare damn it! Lol I know a lot of pureists will hate me for that and special beam cannon but I really really liked those names. Now I'm worried about over moves , it had better be Final Flash.

It's silly I know but the dub names were so fun to yell ect....

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Dont worry! The old dub names are used after that! I normally hate namechanges but I'm super happy for you and your little one.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dont worry! The old dub names are used after that! I normally hate namechanges but I'm super happy for you and your little one.
Cool I'm glad. We ar up to ginyu force. The new song "ginyu force rules" made their entrance even better lol as I said I had these watched like a few episodes then stopped as super was out and that's all new to me where I have seen z before. so now I have an excuse to watch and it's great.

I still don't own TFC but will eventually

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Finished today.

Odd that the ending shows filler like Pikkon but was a nice ending to series. I need buy one at some point as great work went into these

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Yes. But I lived in the US so that was obvious.

I saw the censored Nicktoons version but that didn’t bother me. I was impressed how much better it sounded than Z on Toonami as far as acting and music. The faster pacing certainly helped.

I can’t even imagine going back to the Z dub unless I want a good laugh at D-level kid show acting and bad dialog

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 am

SSJmole wrote:Watched part of namek today. Dodoria was chasing them and Krillin uses Solar Flare to escape yet he said something different. I'll assume Taiyōken as that's listed on Wikipedia but no! Just no. It's Solar Flare damn it! Lol I know a lot of pureists will hate me for that and special beam cannon but I really really liked those names. Now I'm worried about over moves , it had better be Final Flash.

It's silly I know but the dub names were so fun to yell ect....
"Final Flash" is the Japanese name for the attack anyway, so no worries there.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"