Did you get used to your Kai dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Did you get used to your Kai dub?

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 am

This question mostly goes to the guys from countries other than U.S because in my humble opinion, the English Kai dub was actually an improvement of the Z dub and some recasts were really needed like Chris Ayres as Frieza.

When Kai premiered in my country, I hated all the recasts but as time passed and Cartoon Network aired endless reruns of it, I finally got used to the Kai cast...

...Well, most of it (Gohan's new VA was definitely terrible). I got used to the point of feeling awkward of watching Saiyan/Freeza/Cell sagas with the original dub of Z.

Did the same thing happen to you guys?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Did you get used to your Kai dub?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 pm

My Kai dub hasn't aired yet, but I'll let you know. :wink:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:58 pm

I love Funi Kai with a passion. Still the best dub they've done for the franchise and Schemmel, Sabat and Ayres at their best.

I very much look forward to the Ocean dub of Kai (again fingers crossed) so the other half of the VAs I grew up with have their chance to nail it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:59 am

Still waiting for my Kai dub to air.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Which language would that be JohnnyCashKami?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Which language would that be JohnnyCashKami?
He probably meant the Ocean dub.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:20 am

For the most part yeah. Still iffy on Colleen’s Gohan.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:26 am

Tian wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Which language would that be JohnnyCashKami?
He probably meant the Ocean dub.
Yeah, I've been waiting years now for it. Let's hope it's out by 2020. :P

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 pm

The Kai dub was my first experience with the franchise and I was hooked on it from the start.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes. All except piccolo's attack. It's still special beam cannon to me damn it!!! lol

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:10 pm

SSJmole wrote:Yes. All except piccolo's attack. It's still special beam cannon to me damn it!!! lol
Well then...

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 pm

simtek34 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:Yes. All except piccolo's attack. It's still special beam cannon to me damn it!!! lol
Well then...
:D thank you for that

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm

SSJmole wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
Well then...
Your Welcome. The weird thing is, the first few Episodes used the Japanese Attack names like Kienzan, Mankankosappo, and Tayo-Ken until about after the Freeza Arc. Then they started using the Pre-Existing English attack names for Cell-Boo. The Edited TV Version of Kai had English attack names the whole way.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 pm

simtek34 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:
simtek34 wrote: Well then...
Your Welcome. The weird thing is, the first few Episodes used the Japanese Attack names like Kienzan, Mankankosappo, and Tayo-Ken until about after the Freeza Arc. Then they started using the Pre-Existing English attack names for Cell-Boo. The Edited TV Version of Kai had English attack names the whole way.
I yeah that's weird. I own all except last chapters (I'm not paying £100 for just buy saga) but I only watched up to frieza then when I got cell Blu-ray super started been released and I hadn't seen any of that so started on those (I prefer watching dubs Vs sub) so yeah that's weird if it goes back to special beam.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 am

simtek34 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:
simtek34 wrote: Well then...
Might as well FUNi had used the dub terms in its entirety. They never fixed the pronunciation of the word Saiyan which was/is way more important than attack names, anyway.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 am

I was an original "Dub Baby" growing up, so it was very jarring and took me a long time to get used to the new voices of Frieza, Gohan, Android 18, and the others.

However, they've quickly become iconic to me. The new English voice cast does such an amazing job. It's actually hard for me to now go back and listen to the original cast of voice actors, especially Frieza.

The one thing that will be jarring for me is Kid Goku having a new voice, but we've only seen that in the Xenoverse games and a couple of the re-released OG Dragonball movies.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 pm

The Galego dub of Kai has become one of my favorites as the script and voice acting are both really good, in my opinion. However, I can't for the life of me understand why the Kai TFC dub is so subpar in comparison.

For example, Adult Gohan has the voice of Kid/Adolescent Gohan and it just doesn't sound right at all.

I might just force myself to get used to it in order to like it but doesn't seem too likely I'll fall into that.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:03 pm

The Z Kai Blu-ray's from Manga in UK have another benefit. I have a little nephew who got curious about dragon Ball after seeing the new switch game get announced and seeing heroes. So I asked if he wanted to try it. I put Z Kai on as it's got a much better flow as less filler. He started watching today got through Disc 1 (first 9 episodes) and now loves Dragonball. Gohan is his favourite.

Which is great as it's perfect for new fans to get in to. Sure he makes mistakes like he called Goku , Geki and he calls Chiaotzu "the little mime" but he is loving it so a whole new generation can use Kai to get in to it. Which is fantastic for me. As now I have something else to enjoy with him (I had star wars but I don't like current) and superhero movies and shows. And seeing a kid surprised and enjoying it all new for the first time makes it special as you remember how you felt the first time.

Can't wait to get to frieza with with him. As I remember I was so impressed by super Saiyan the first time , by SSJ2 however it lost some of its charm and by SSJ3 I'm not as wow'd anymore as everyone has it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 pm

SSJmole wrote:The Z Kai Blu-ray's from Manga in UK have another benefit. I have a little nephew who got curious about dragon Ball after seeing the new switch game get announced and seeing heroes. So I asked if he wanted to try it. I put Z Kai on as it's got a much better flow as less filler. He started watching today got through Disc 1 (first 9 episodes) and now loves Dragonball. Gohan is his favourite.

Which is great as it's perfect for new fans to get in to. Sure he makes mistakes like he called Goku , Geki and he calls Chiaotzu "the little mime" but he is loving it so a whole new generation can use Kai to get in to it. Which is fantastic for me. As now I have something else to enjoy with him (I had star wars but I don't like current) and superhero movies and shows. And seeing a kid surprised and enjoying it all new for the first time makes it special as you remember how you felt the first time.

Can't wait to get to frieza with with him. As I remember I was so impressed by super Saiyan the first time , by SSJ2 however it lost some of its charm and by SSJ3 I'm not as wow'd anymore as everyone has it.
He'll probably find it weird how the music transitions from theatrically cinematic to retro incidental music.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 am

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Staying with the Kikuchi Kai score for the entire 98 episodes is more consistent than going from Kikuchi (OG DB) to Yamamoto and then (inevitably) back to Kikuchi before switching to Sumitomo starting with ep 99...but the Kikuchi Kai arrangement is so misplaced, and so many tracks are used far earlier than they should have been from a chronological standpoint. Not to mention that Kai (before ep... 96 I think?) was meant to go with Yamamoto.

Again, thanks to their laziness, MangaUK is the ONLY company still selling new copies of Kai with the Yamamoto score.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.