Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh, interesting. That's kinda neat.
I never really looked into this honestly, so this is interesting and new to me; I'm very solidly not a fan of Sumitomo's Dragon Ball scoring, and I still don't get why they didn't bring Tokunaga back for Kai, TFC, Super, etc. (I'm given to understand GT was quite well-liked in Japan? People were just generally done with the series already, so people just didn't tune in, was always my understanding... So it just seems really odd to me that Tokunaga wasn't brought back. He did fantastic work), and the general incompetence around the production of this stuff can frustrate me, so I've never really taken the time to look into this stuff in depth.
As you know, the biggest problem with TFC was the small budget. It was produced completely in-house without any sponsors and a record company because it was not airing on Japanese TV. The music budget of a TV anime is always fully paid by a record company. In return, they sell the CD releases of the theme songs and soundtrack exclusively. That's how music is created for TV series. But TFC was an in-house production for the international market as said above, so Toei paid for the music themselves. In fact, no record companies are credited in the opening credits of TFC. Not only was the entire budget very limited, but also they had to manage to raise money for the music from it. This is why the musical score in TFC sounds awfully cheap for an anime from the 2010s. Also this explains why the opening and ending songs were newly created for the Japanese broadcast. Columbia Japan paid it to sell the CDs.
Incidentally, this is also the reason why the score in OVAs tends to sound cheap in contrast to the gorgeous animation.

So then why was Sumitomo hired for TFC? That's because he is a synthesizer musician. They were probably looking for someone able to create the score for TFC very cheaply, and Sumitomo was singled out from the musicians acquainted with Nagasaki. As a result, he did everything on a computer and the score ended up sounding cheap-ass. In short, the budget was limited and they didn't have enough money to hire someone like Tokunaga.

This is all my speculation, but doesn't this sound plausible?
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12823
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm

kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh, interesting. That's kinda neat.
I never really looked into this honestly, so this is interesting and new to me; I'm very solidly not a fan of Sumitomo's Dragon Ball scoring, and I still don't get why they didn't bring Tokunaga back for Kai, TFC, Super, etc. (I'm given to understand GT was quite well-liked in Japan? People were just generally done with the series already, so people just didn't tune in, was always my understanding... So it just seems really odd to me that Tokunaga wasn't brought back. He did fantastic work), and the general incompetence around the production of this stuff can frustrate me, so I've never really taken the time to look into this stuff in depth.
As you know, the biggest problem with TFC was the small budget. It was produced completely in-house without any sponsors and a record company because it was not airing on Japanese TV. Especially, the music budget of a TV anime is always fully paid by a record company. In return, they sell the CD releases of the theme songs and soundtrack exclusively. That's how music is created for TV series. But TFC was an in-house production for the international market as said above, so Toei paid for the music themselves. In fact, no record companies are credited in the opening credits of TFC. Not only was the entire budget very limited, but also they had to manage to raise money for the music from it. This is why the musical score in TFC sounds awfully cheap for an anime from the 2010s. Incidentally, this is also the reason why the score in OVAs tends to sound cheap in contrast to the gorgeous animation.

So then why was Sumitomo hired for TFC? That's because he is a synthesizer musician. They were probably looking for someone able to create the score for TFC very cheaply, and Sumitomo was singled out from the musicians acquainted with Nagasaki. As a result, he did everything on a computer and the score ended up sounding cheap-ass. In short, the budget was limited and they didn't have enough money to hire someone like Tokunaga.

This is all my speculation, but doesn't this sound plausible?
Due to royalties...would it have been more expensive simply to reuse the Kikuchi Shunsuke music?
Julie | She/Her | Pansexual/Bisexual | Transgender

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
As you know, the biggest problem with TFC was the small budget. It was produced completely in-house without any sponsors and a record company because it was not airing on Japanese TV. Especially, the music budget of a TV anime is always fully paid by a record company. In return, they sell the CD releases of the theme songs and soundtrack exclusively. That's how music is created for TV series. But TFC was an in-house production for the international market as said above, so Toei paid for the music themselves. In fact, no record companies are credited in the opening credits of TFC. Not only was the entire budget very limited, but also they had to manage to raise money for the music from it. This is why the musical score in TFC sounds awfully cheap for an anime from the 2010s. Incidentally, this is also the reason why the score in OVAs tends to sound cheap in contrast to the gorgeous animation.

So then why was Sumitomo hired for TFC? That's because he is a synthesizer musician. They were probably looking for someone able to create the score for TFC very cheaply, and Sumitomo was singled out from the musicians acquainted with Nagasaki. As a result, he did everything on a computer and the score ended up sounding cheap-ass. In short, the budget was limited and they didn't have enough money to hire someone like Tokunaga.

This is all my speculation, but doesn't this sound plausible?
Due to royalties...would it have been more expensive simply to reuse the Kikuchi Shunsuke music?
The Kikuchi score was not planned to be used in the first place. It was obviously a quick-fix, unwilling decision for Toei. They probably still wanted music that at least makes the show feel somewhat fresh. Also, by producing the score themselves, they don't have to pay any royalties to Clumbia Japan, and they can sell the soundtrack release to win back the money.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:38 pm

kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh, interesting. That's kinda neat.
I never really looked into this honestly, so this is interesting and new to me; I'm very solidly not a fan of Sumitomo's Dragon Ball scoring, and I still don't get why they didn't bring Tokunaga back for Kai, TFC, Super, etc. (I'm given to understand GT was quite well-liked in Japan? People were just generally done with the series already, so people just didn't tune in, was always my understanding... So it just seems really odd to me that Tokunaga wasn't brought back. He did fantastic work), and the general incompetence around the production of this stuff can frustrate me, so I've never really taken the time to look into this stuff in depth.
As you know, the biggest problem with TFC was the small budget. It was produced completely in-house without any sponsors and a record company because it was not airing on Japanese TV. The music budget of a TV anime is always fully paid by a record company. In return, they sell the CD releases of the theme songs and soundtrack exclusively. That's how music is created for TV series. But TFC was an in-house production for the international market as said above, so Toei paid for the music themselves. In fact, no record companies are credited in the opening credits of TFC. Not only was the entire budget very limited, but also they had to manage to raise money for the music from it. This is why the musical score in TFC sounds awfully cheap for an anime from the 2010s. Also this explains why the opening and ending songs were newly created for the Japanese broadcast. Columbia Japan paid it to sell the CDs.
Incidentally, this is also the reason why the score in OVAs tends to sound cheap in contrast to the gorgeous animation.

So then why was Sumitomo hired for TFC? That's because he is a synthesizer musician. They were probably looking for someone able to create the score for TFC very cheaply, and Sumitomo was singled out from the musicians acquainted with Nagasaki. As a result, he did everything on a computer and the score ended up sounding cheap-ass. In short, the budget was limited and they didn't have enough money to hire someone like Tokunaga.

This is all my speculation, but doesn't this sound plausible?
Fascinating.

Yes, I think that does sound quite plausible.
I suppose, then, to speculate further, since Yamamoto was hired after his well-liked work on the video games, perhaps if TFC had been produced with a proper budget, they would have hired another proven Dragon Ball composer who'd done some work on the video games.
Want Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai dub to see the light of day? Like this Tweet. And if you can, retweet and reply. A Netflix rep encouraged this avenue of drumming up buzz quite enthusiastically, so this may just be the shot that works!!

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3349
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm

Was anyone able to archive this version of the replacement score? Id like to sync em to the dvds I have

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am

Here's the full audio of episode 92. There must be some other episodes aired on local TV channels, but I still haven't got them.
https://mega.nz/#!xx523IzK!2FQlseVoZRKw ... rast4-Bluc
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3349
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 pm

kei17 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am
Here's the full audio of episode 92. There must be some other episodes aired on local TV channels, but I still haven't got them.
https://mega.nz/#!xx523IzK!2FQlseVoZRKw ... rast4-Bluc
Wow thank you! That is better than the final arangement

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:26 am

kei17 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am
Here's the full audio of episode 92. There must be some other episodes aired on local TV channels, but I still haven't got them.
https://mega.nz/#!xx523IzK!2FQlseVoZRKw ... rast4-Bluc
Do you have any more CW broadcast clips/episodes that feature similar changes?

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by kei17 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:26 am
kei17 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am
Here's the full audio of episode 92. There must be some other episodes aired on local TV channels, but I still haven't got them.
https://mega.nz/#!xx523IzK!2FQlseVoZRKw ... rast4-Bluc
Do you have any more CW broadcast clips/episodes that feature similar changes?
Yeah I've got them, too, but since the CW version has a lot of edits, there is no point in sharing only audio. And sharing videos of an entire episode is not allowed here.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

Goku s
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Goku s » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Does anyone have episode 34 dbz Kai toonzai temporary Kikuchi score
Can someone post a link or send me
the episode I’m dying to see it I haven’t seen it in a long time 🙏

Goku s
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Goku s » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Like a mega link or google drive

Goku s
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Goku s » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:19 pm

If you can’t post it here I’ll give you my Gmail account Name
I haven’t seen in a long time and I’m very curious all I remember from the episode is they used the Kikuchi song. M 1604 in ep 35 recap. I would like to see the whole episode

Goku s
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Goku s » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:44 am

I meant ep 35

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Akita TV broadcasts with different Kikuchi music

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:10 pm

kei17 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh, interesting. That's kinda neat.
I never really looked into this honestly, so this is interesting and new to me; I'm very solidly not a fan of Sumitomo's Dragon Ball scoring, and I still don't get why they didn't bring Tokunaga back for Kai, TFC, Super, etc. (I'm given to understand GT was quite well-liked in Japan? People were just generally done with the series already, so people just didn't tune in, was always my understanding... So it just seems really odd to me that Tokunaga wasn't brought back. He did fantastic work), and the general incompetence around the production of this stuff can frustrate me, so I've never really taken the time to look into this stuff in depth.
As you know, the biggest problem with TFC was the small budget. It was produced completely in-house without any sponsors and a record company because it was not airing on Japanese TV. The music budget of a TV anime is always fully paid by a record company. In return, they sell the CD releases of the theme songs and soundtrack exclusively. That's how music is created for TV series. But TFC was an in-house production for the international market as said above, so Toei paid for the music themselves. In fact, no record companies are credited in the opening credits of TFC. Not only was the entire budget very limited, but also they had to manage to raise money for the music from it. This is why the musical score in TFC sounds awfully cheap for an anime from the 2010s. Also this explains why the opening and ending songs were newly created for the Japanese broadcast. Columbia Japan paid it to sell the CDs.
Incidentally, this is also the reason why the score in OVAs tends to sound cheap in contrast to the gorgeous animation.

So then why was Sumitomo hired for TFC? That's because he is a synthesizer musician. They were probably looking for someone able to create the score for TFC very cheaply, and Sumitomo was singled out from the musicians acquainted with Nagasaki. As a result, he did everything on a computer and the score ended up sounding cheap-ass. In short, the budget was limited and they didn't have enough money to hire someone like Tokunaga.

This is all my speculation, but doesn't this sound plausible?
Ah. That explains the cheap synth tracks. Then, since he was brought on for Battle of Gods, they were able to use his higher quality orchestral compositions in Kai as a result.

It's still a shame his synth tracks sucked so bad, because I don't even mind the sounds (sometimes it's reminiscent of Mega Man X5 and X6 with the guitar sound he uses in them), but the compositions are super bland and lazy sounding. I guess he wasn't paid much so didn't feel the need to put the effort in until the bigger production that was Battle of Gods offered more incentive?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Post Reply