Dragon Ball Kai - TV Airings with the Original Kenji Yamamoto Score

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Dragon Ball Kai - TV Airings with the Original Kenji Yamamoto Score

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am

• Japanese - Episodes 01-95
  • English (FUNimation) - Episodes 01-63
  • Catalan - Kikuchi-Only
  • Galego - Kikuchi-Only
  • French - Kikuchi-Only
  • German - Kikuchi-Only
  • Mexican-Spanish - Episodes 01-17
  • Brazilian-Portuguese - Episodes 01-17
If you have more info on other Kai dubs or the episode count may be more than it should be (e.g. I don't know for certain if the FUNi Nicktoons airings were definitely up to episode 63 with the Yamamoto score but seems it was).

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - TV Airings with the Original Kenji Yamamoto Score

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:14 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:(e.g. I don't know for certain if the FUNi Nicktoons airings were definitely up to episode 63 with the Yamamoto score but seems it was).
I can confirm that episode 63 was the last episode of the FUNi Nicktoons airing which used the Yamamoto score before switching over to Kikuchi for the rest of the series during it's initial run (IIRC Nicktoons actually reran episodes 1-63 in a marathon prior to the debut of episode 64 in order to give FUNi more time to finish revising episode 64 with the replacement Kikuchi score in time for the premiere on the channel).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:06 am

superrayman3 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:(e.g. I don't know for certain if the FUNi Nicktoons airings were definitely up to episode 63 with the Yamamoto score but seems it was).
I can confirm that episode 63 was the last episode of the FUNi Nicktoons airing which used the Yamamoto score before switching over to Kikuchi for the rest of the series during it's initial run (IIRC Nicktoons actually reran episodes 1-63 in a marathon prior to the debut of episode 64 in order to give FUNi more time to finish revising episode 64 with the replacement Kikuchi score in time for the premiere on the channel).
Yep, after episode 63 aired (March 17th, 2011) on Nicktoons USA, the series went into a two month hiatus. The series returned with new episodes starting with episode 64 on May 30th, 2011 which featured the new replacement score. There was an 11 hour marathon leading up to episode 64's premiere (22 episodes) that day.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

It is sad that we can't watch the first 95 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai with Yamamoto Score anymore...
I shouldn't have supressed the fansubbed episodes that I had a few years ago. :cry:

Kai in HDTV is way better that the bluray or dvd versions for me.
Even the Buu Saga is better (less filler than the international version and better opening).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am

Clemsi wrote:It is sad that we can't watch the first 95 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai with Yamamoto Score anymore...
I shouldn't have supressed the fansubbed episodes that I had a few years ago. :cry:

Even the Buu Saga is better (less filler than the international version and better opening).

I actually miss the 16x9 cropping for maintaining cause some thought was put into it and if the ``refreshed`` version where everything but most of the animation was updated so it makes sence

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:32 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Clemsi wrote:It is sad that we can't watch the first 95 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai with Yamamoto Score anymore...

I actually miss the 16x9 cropping for maintaining cause some thought was put into it and if the ``refreshed`` version where everything but most of the animation was updated so it makes sence
For maintaining what?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:12 am

ZodaEX wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:

For maintaining what?
I honestly dont understand what I wrote lol. But I miss the 16x9 cropping for Kai since it makes sense for the refreshed version as it's supposed to be "new" even tho it uses old footage.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I honestly dont understand what I wrote lol. But I miss the 16x9 cropping for Kai since it makes sense for the refreshed version as it's supposed to be "new" even tho it uses old footage.
Well, that's it.

Dragon Ball Kai was intended to be a refreshed modern take on Dragon Ball's Z manga chapters with a brand new original soundtrack by Kenji Yamamoto, while the video footage was remastered in 16x9 AR for current ratio televisions. However, the Japanese Blu-rays and American Blu-rays/DVDs (+ TV airings) were all in 4x3 though maintaining the Yamamoto score (until a certain point) so we kinda lost the cinematic 16x9 AR view for 4x3 AR, admittedly we see a lot more in full screen.

The French Blu-rays and DVDs of Kai were in 16x9 AR with the Kikuchi score so they got the TV aspect ratio but the replacement score, unfortunately. They were a little too late to dub it with the original score. Also, the Japanese DVDs were in 16x9 AR so for those who want an HD version of Japanese Kai, the HDTV captures have to do.

Shame how badly treated Dragon Ball Kai was, and TFC didn't help either (it was an afterthought anyway).