Kikuchi Kai: Is the music quality better?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

KBABZ
I Live Here

Kikuchi Kai: Is the music quality better?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:13 am

This is a strange question that only just occurred to me whilst watching DBZ Kai with a friend today before seeing the Broly movie. Is the audio quality of the Kikuchi replacement score in Kai any better than the original Z anime?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Kikuchi Kai: Is the music quality better?

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:02 am

Compared to the Optical Japanese audio and Funimations shitty 5.1 audio mix for the Orange Bricks/Blu-Rays? Yeah, Kai Kikuchi sounds better.

However, when compared to Dragon Box the movies, they sound pretty much identical.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:35 am

The Kikuchi score in Kai does sound great but it's usually the same BGMs throughout an episode.

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:The Kikuchi score in Kai does sound great but it's usually the same BGMs throughout an episode.
Haha, I'm not disputing that!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:This is a strange question that only just occurred to me whilst watching DBZ Kai with a friend today before seeing the Broly movie. Is the audio quality of the Kikuchi replacement score in Kai any better than the original Z anime?
Yes, because the series uses the old M&E tapes and the tracks in Kai are either from the music CDs or whatever source (maybe digitally at this point) they had them stored on.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ManuGem

Post by ManuGem » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm

One thing I noticed (but I watched Kai only by streaming wabsites + excerpts on youtube) is that these BGMs from Kikuchi in Kai seem pretty low pitched, compared to the original, that sounds often almost half a tone lower.

It's disturbing, because when DBZ was on french television, it was exactly the opposite: the BGM sounded high-pitched, I think it's because of a difference in format (number of images per second) compared to japanese television.
Many of these BGMs are in F minor, so I used to hear them in F sharp minor on TV, then I rediscovered them in F minor with CDs and internet ... And now I hear them almost in E minor in Kai: -)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

ManuGem wrote:One thing I noticed (but I watched Kai only by streaming wabsites + excerpts on youtube) is that these BGMs from Kikuchi in Kai seem pretty low pitched, compared to the original, that sounds often almost half a tone lower.

It's disturbing, because when DBZ was on french television, it was exactly the opposite: the BGM sounded high-pitched, I think it's because of a difference in format (number of images per second) compared to japanese television.
Many of these BGMs are in F minor, so I used to hear them in F sharp minor on TV, then I rediscovered them in F minor with CDs and internet ... And now I hear them almost in E minor in Kai: -)
Never noticed that. Will have to take another listen to them.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:29 am

Strange. It always seemed to me that the music in Kikuchi Kai was the right pitch. Maybe the sources you watch Kai in have it sped up to 25fps without changing pitch, then reverting to 24fps or 24000/1001 fps with a pitch change.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ManuGem

Post by ManuGem » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:54 am

Danfun64 wrote:Strange. It always seemed to me that the music in Kikuchi Kai was the right pitch. Maybe the sources you watch Kai in have it sped up to 25fps without changing pitch, then reverting to 24fps or 24000/1001 fps with a pitch change.
Yes, it's possible. Anyway, with the sources I used, I'm sure of what I observed (although it may not be quite a semitone, but it was really low pitched)

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm

ManuGem wrote:One thing I noticed (but I watched Kai only by streaming wabsites + excerpts on youtube) is that these BGMs from Kikuchi in Kai seem pretty low pitched, compared to the original, that sounds often almost half a tone lower.

If you were watching clips on youtube, then it's likely whoever uploaded them adjusted the pitch of the audio as a means of automatic copyright flag prevention.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Strange. It always seemed to me that the music in Kikuchi Kai was the right pitch. Maybe the sources you watch Kai in have it sped up to 25fps without changing pitch, then reverting to 24fps or 24000/1001 fps with a pitch change.
That's possible. The Catalàn version of Kai TFC was sped up and sounds really weird how the music goes by so fast.