Did Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden give us a glimpse at what could've been Majin Boo's arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Did Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden give us a glimpse at what could've been Majin Boo's arc?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:16 pm

I was watching the trailer for old time's sake and I noticed something that slipped by, and that was a shot of the Majin Boo arc. The Dragon Ball Kai series was cancelled and never covered the Majin Boo arc but here's something to fill the gap:
— Saiyan arc —
— Freeza arc —
— Cell arc —
— Majin Boo arc —
Well, I mean, there is Kai: TFC but that came way later and it's a sequel to Kai. Plus, TFC was in 16x9 AR-only whereas Kai was offered in 4x3 AR and 16x9 AR so two aspect ratios which the fans could pick from. Had Majin Boo been part of Dragon Ball Kai in which case the show wouldn't have been cancelled, it'd have been interesting to see if TOEI would still have gone with the repetitive replacement score or a proper one.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Did Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden give us a glimpse at what could've been Majin Boo's arc?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:46 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:16 pmit'd have been interesting to see if TOEI would still have gone with the repetitive replacement score or a proper one.
The plagiarism scandal would have still happened during the run, so they'd have switched to a replacement, likely the same cut&paste Kikuchi stopgap we ended up with. For post-Yamamoto episodes, they likely would have put in the time and put together some kind of decent-ish score. Possibly even assembled something rather good.

Though, I would guess they'd have likely brought a new composer in for the Boo arc.

As for the screenshot... It looks like just a screencap from the Z Boo arc, with some filtering applied.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.