10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: 10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 am
coola wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:20 pm I'm not sure if Kai was intended to replace Z, but if it was, than it failed, sales were prety bad in Japan even before whole scandal started, and even before Super came, toys stopped having Kai name after a while, even with upcoming Kakarot game, they used DB/DBZ Kikuchi score.
The idea of a ''new'' series including less filler and more accurate to the manga was the best thing ever, though. Too bad it wasn't executed that well.
If anything, what i am glad about the most with Kai existing is FUNi's dub. It gave them the chance to go back and show how far they had progressed in the decade plus since first assuming the voices and they succeeded for the most part, that definitely shows because on the whole it stands head and shoulders above the old Z dub in just about every way possible from the acting, scripts and overall faithfulness to the original. I'm glad that i have a version of the show in English with the FUNi cast that i can watch which doesn't make me want to constantly roll my eyes or cringe in disgust. True, some of the returning voices and recasts may not be the greatest but overall it's really good and by far their best dub work in the 20 years that they've been involved with the franchise.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am
coola wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:20 pm I'm not sure if Kai was intended to replace Z, but if it was, than it failed, sales were prety bad in Japan even before whole scandal started, and even before Super came, toys stopped having Kai name after a while, even with upcoming Kakarot game, they used DB/DBZ Kikuchi score.
The idea of a ''new'' series including less filler and more accurate to the manga was the best thing ever, though. Too bad it wasn't executed that well.
If anything, what i am glad about the most with Kai existing is FUNi's dub. It gave them the chance to go back and show how far they had progressed in the decade plus since first assuming the voices and they succeeded for the most part, that definitely shows because on the whole it stands head and shoulders above the old Z dub in just about every way possible from the acting, scripts and overall faithfulness to the original. I'm glad that i have a version of the show in English with the FUNi cast that i can watch which doesn't make me want to constantly roll my eyes or cringe in disgust. True, some of the returning voices and recasts may not be the greatest but overall it's really good and by far their best dub work in the 20 years that they've been involved with the franchise.
Disagree. Z needed improvement. Like, hugely so.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Well, we at least got a much better acted and scripted dub with Kai though a complete accurate re dub of Z would've been great if FUNi had made the effort to do so rather than just the 2007 patchwork partial one for the Orange Bricks which only got up to just past the Garlic Jr. arc before they stopped, thus leaving Trunks and onwards more or less the same as they'd been on the single DVDs minus Dale Kelly's narration being further replaced with Kyle Herbert and some other differences.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Well, we at least got a much better acted and scripted dub with Kai though a complete accurate re dub of Z would've been great if FUNi had made the effort to do so rather than just the 2007 patchwork partial one for the Orange Bricks which only got up to just past the Garlic Jr. arc before they stopped, thus leaving Trunks and onwards more or less the same as they'd been on the single DVDs minus Dale Kelly's narration being further replaced with Kyle Herbert and some other differences.
Do you think Z didn't need to cut filler? Did you actually like the scenes with the Ginyu Force on Planet Namek? If so, of course I respect you, but I can't say I agree...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

Do you think Z didn't need to cut filler? Did you actually like the scenes with the Ginyu Force on Planet Namek? If so, of course I respect you, but I can't say I agree...
No i misunderstood your above post, i do actually like that they cut out a large portion of the filler scenes/episodes in Kai a la things such as Goku falling down to Hell, Princess Snake and the Garlic Jr. arc. It not only made the show far more accurate to the manga but also eliminated a great many of the ones that i never have particularly cared for.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

No i misunderstood your above post, i do actually like that they cut out a large portion of the filler scenes/episodes in Kai a la things such as Goku falling down to Hell, Princess Snake and the Garlic Jr. arc. It not only made the show far more accurate to the manga but also eliminated a great many of the ones that i never have particularly cared for.
Ok.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 am

I mean, Toei was really off to a good start. They at least tried to give us what they thought was best. New music, re-recorded audio (which they had to do as they lost the original voice tapes), and remastered visuals... which the redrawn shots weren't good, but at least Toei tried... I guess?

Unfortunately the series obviously wasn't a hit in Japan, so they scrapped it, thought Toriko could do better, scrapped that, then had to re-edit Boo Kai (which was initially an international exclusive as Kai was way more popular outside of Japan). Boo Kai has its own fair share of problems as well.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am

I’m pretty sure it was just a cheap way to sell old toys.

Even Battle of Gods and Resurrection F used the Z branding and not Kai.

You could make the argument the Kai dub has replaced Z but even then Funimation is all too aware their dumpster fire is the moneymaker and they’re in no rush to disown it.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am You could make the argument the Kai dub has replaced Z but even then Funimation is all too aware their dumpster fire is the moneymaker and they’re in no rush to disown it.
At first, it really seemed that way, Sabat and others even talked about how happy they were they can make proper dub this time, but then, music scandal came, and after that, i ve felt like they stopped caring (There was lot more dumb mistakes post Freeza arc) i might be wrong of course :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

coola wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am You could make the argument the Kai dub has replaced Z but even then Funimation is all too aware their dumpster fire is the moneymaker and they’re in no rush to disown it.
At first, it really seemed that way, Sabat and others even talked about how happy they were they can make proper dub this time, but then, music scandal came, and after that, i ve felt like they stopped caring (There was lot more dumb mistakes post Freeza arc) i might be wrong of course :)
That’s more or less the impression I got. Sabat was pretty vocal about how much better Kai’s dub was all around and that Z’s dub only had nostalgia going for it. And while Schemmel seemed to have too much pride to admit his work on Z was almost entirely shit he at least seemed to imply he liked Kai better too. Though he seemed more on the “its closer to the manga” front than the “It let me fix past mistakes” front.

It does seem the efforts to stick closely to the script sort of faltered after Kai 1.0/Battle of the Gods. I have no idea if its because of the music scandal or if endless fanboy whining discouraged them. From what I’ve seen Super’s dub is trying way too hard to cater to people who like the closer to the Japanese script from Kai, and appeal to people who like Z’s add ons, and then also appease people who don’t give a shit about Dragon Ball Z dub or sub and think abridged is the superior version.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm
That’s more or less the impression I got. Sabat was pretty vocal about how much better Kai’s dub was all around and that Z’s dub only had nostalgia going for it. And while Schemmel seemed to have too much pride to admit his work on Z was almost entirely shit he at least seemed to imply he liked Kai better too. Though he seemed more on the “its closer to the manga” front than the “It let me fix past mistakes” front.

It does seem the efforts to stick closely to the script sort of faltered after Kai 1.0/Battle of the Gods. I have no idea if its because of the music scandal or if endless fanboy whining discouraged them. From what I’ve seen Super’s dub is trying way too hard to cater to people who like the closer to the Japanese script from Kai, and appeal to people who like Z’s add ons, and then also appease people who don’t give a shit about Dragon Ball Z dub or sub and think abridged is the superior version.
To be clear, the dub for BoG was actually recorded after the dub for TFC.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

The movies tend to get even more accurate dubs than the series as of lately. Broly's dub was about as accurate as BOG, ROF and Kai 1.0.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

The movies tend to get even more accurate dubs than the series as of lately. Broly's dub was about as accurate as BOG, ROF and Kai 1.0.
Ehhh, I think there's just been less scrutiny, mainly because of fewer people watching it subbed. I'm sure it has just as many inaccuracies and deviations as Funi have been putting in their dubs since TFC.

I do remember when it was new, I watched TFS's video talking about it, and there were a couple of lines they talked about that I didn't remember seeing in the subbed screening I was lucky enough to catch... So I think Funi still pulled their usual shit on this script.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:44 am

I remember telling my buddy that i'd never really get that feeling of missing Kai, but sure enough I did! lol i mean, it'll never replace the original series because I love the filler etc. But Kai definitely has a charm too it. I remember just waiting for the newest freeze sub to drop for it as soon as it aired in Japan. I got so excited to see something that I had seen 100 times LOL I am curious as to why the US didn't get all of the closing credits on the dvd/blurays? As a collector of everything dragonball, this drives me up the wall.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 am

I guess this is kinda reviving an old thread, but I remember watching Kai for the sheer experience of watching Dragon Ball again on TV, altough through streaming service in past night hours airing live on Fuji. I was curious about the music and edits made to Z, as it was marketed as purist manga edit.

As a fan, who grew up on original DB and Z with Kikuchi's score, it was a thing of pure interest to me, but after Kai just redrawn some minor scenes (and in bad and cheap way) and still left lot of filler in, I have quickly lost an interest...
Yamamoto's score was kind of alienating to me in the series itself, but I have enjoyed it as I am used to his music since playing SNES roms and other games later on PS2 like Budokai series, so it was familiar at the same way.
And after all those debacles, like Yamamoto's plagiarism, cutting the series short for an awful Toriko, putting in Kikuchi score chaotically and later restarting the series with Buu arc and Sumitomo...
Kai is really pointless product to me personally, altough I can see the value for US fans, that they finally got the ''original'' series in faithful form.

I also kind of hate Kai for bringing in Sumitomo and leave him with Super, because as nostalgic as Super is, only music that worked with me in it was the recap using (and it was kinda weird anyway) the Chala Head Chala melody instead of keeping the formula and using motif from Chozetsu Dynamic, the actual opening. Altough, he has some interesting tracks musically, his work to me is pretty flat and strays from other entries in the series really lot... Never had problem with GT, as it was kinda it's own thing and I like the heavy orchestral 90s synths with oriental melodies, as it went well with the darker pallete.

So wow, Kai is this old and it came and went... and I am kinda sad about it, as Dragon Ball is this black sheep for not just Funimation, but even TOEI as since Kai, all the new DB shows except for movies and the Kai recut, were production dissasters and these weird chimaeras.

I will still remember Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and even GT for it being the nostalgic sequel that I saw on TV as a kid (in French) and will sometimes maybe rewatch Super when I will hold a marathon... but Kai stays where it is... 10 years ago :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:43 am Looking back on Kai, it is very much serviceable if you're looking for a decent performances and a accurate script from the FUNimation cast. But for those who were originally fans of the original Japan broadcast of the show, Kai is completely redundant. Yes, Kai certainly benefits from having less fat in the plot compared to bloated nature of the plot of DBZ, making it a far more streamline experience and story much easier to digest. But it comes at the cast of lesser performances from some of the original seiyuu, a much more generic soundtrack, terrible editing, more censorship, awful redrawn scenes, and some of the iconic seiyuu from the Z anime not being in Kai or being able to stay for it's entirety.
That's not really true. Dragon Ball Kai in Japanese holds a special place with the original score by Kenji Yamamoto. Saying Kai in Japanese is redundant is complete nonsense.

The Japanese VA did get older and some had to be replaced but it was overall fantastic with the genuine soundtrack.
Yamamoto's score is a shit stain on Kai, and Dragon Ball as a whole, because it exposed his long catalogue of plagiarism across the Dragon Ball franchise.
But does watching the show with plagiarized music make the music any less quality? No. It’s a great score and a great way to watch the show.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:14 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 pm

That's not really true. Dragon Ball Kai in Japanese holds a special place with the original score by Kenji Yamamoto. Saying Kai in Japanese is redundant is complete nonsense.

The Japanese VA did get older and some had to be replaced but it was overall fantastic with the genuine soundtrack.
Yamamoto's score is a shit stain on Kai, and Dragon Ball as a whole, because it exposed his long catalogue of plagiarism across the Dragon Ball franchise.
But does watching the show with plagiarized music make the music any less quality? No. It’s a great score and a great way to watch the show.
Although I don't love the Yamamoto score as much as I did when I first heard it I do consider it the 2nd best Dragon Ball score. The fact that the Kikuchi replacement score was so poorly utilized made it far more tragic. Had Toei put in some thought and effort into the music selection the loss of the Yamamoto score wouldn't have hurt so bad.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:14 am
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 pm
Although I don't love the Yamamoto score as much as I did when I first heard it I do consider it the 2nd best Dragon Ball score. The fact that the Kikuchi replacement score was so poorly utilized made it far more tragic. Had Toei put in some thought and effort into the music selection the loss of the Yamamoto score wouldn't have hurt so bad.
I absolutely agree with this. I am grateful to have a version of the Kikuchi revival Kai which puts the music placement much closer in line to how it is done in Dragon Ball Z. Along with all other kinds of Kai scores that are available for download. That is the thing about Kai that is so great, you can now watch all of Kai with 2 different versions of Kikuchi placements, the original Yamamoto, and even a Sumitomo Kai for 1-98. Oh yeah, and even the Faulconer Kai.

I can't believe that Toei doing the Kikuchi replacement score was done quickly with no love or care put into it whatsoever. There was so much Kikuchi score to draw from and they didn't even utilize half of it. I bet you that half of the reasoning behind this is because they didn't want to do a stereo remix of the Kikuchi scores that had not yet been remixed in stereo already, as not all tracks are.

Also its strange that none of the original Kikuchi Dragon Ball BGM appeared either, just exclusively those from Dragon Ball Z.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm

13 year olds born in 2009 are now old enough to join the forums. Someone was giving birth somewhere while I was posting on the forums back in 2009.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm 13 year olds born in 2009 are now old enough to join the forums. Someone was giving birth somewhere while I was posting on the forums back in 2009.
I was 13 at the time (2010) and Kai was really my way back into the franchise after only getting the video games for a few years (my mom had banned me due to the inappropriate scenes from Dragon Ball and so on). When I was 13, I was a teenager and finally old enough to get back into the series. So, I watched it on Nicktoons and bought Parts 1 and 3 on DVD. Ah, good times. In a lot of ways, I consider myself from the "Kai generation" despite being a fan of Z earlier because I had missed out on Z's prime Toonami era.

And look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1m1nQ6j8c The Nicktoons opening now has over a MILLION views!!! This proves that an entire generation (me included) really grew up with Kai and how much of an impact it had that I think many Z purist fans overlook. And unlike the Z dub purists, we never had to deal with having an inaccurate and somewhat terribly dub. So yeah, I LOVE Kai and even own it many times over on home media.