Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:53 pm

The Spanish (Castillan) part of Spain, that is. Catalunya and Galicia had their own Kai dubs but the main part of Spain.. nope. Any reason why?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:53 pm
The Spanish (Castillan) part of Spain, that is. Catalunya and Galicia had their own Kai dubs but the main part of Spain.. nope. Any reason why?
We don't know. A Castilian Spanish dub was announced to be in production and then...nothing. It seems to have suffered the fate of the Ocean dub of Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 am

Not even that. We know Ocean Kai covered all 98 episodes of Kai 1.0 . Is there any evidence the Castellan Spanish dub even got as far as the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa on Earth, let alone a complete dub of Ep 1?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 am
Not even that. We know Ocean Kai covered all 98 episodes of Kai 1.0 . Is there any evidence the Castellan Spanish dub even got as far as the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa on Earth, let alone a complete dub of Ep 1?
I was told that Selecta Vision would be releasing the Castillan dub of Dragon Ball Kai but I've never seen any proof neither has SV confirmed or denied it (I asked via Twitter and they'd answer a good number of times to other inquiries). This was probably around 2013 (if I remember correctly) when I read about it from a guy in Spain.

Selecta Visión has released just about every Dragon Ball series except Kai.

User avatar
TheRed259
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 am

Could it be because Kai is just Z with less filler?

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2561
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Another time and place...

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 am
Could it be because Kai is just Z with less filler?
Indeed...

It's possible Selecta Vision were planning on getting raw recordings of the Castillan dub and re-editing it to fit Kai, but ended up nixing the idea, and that's why rumours spread of a dub happening, but it not ending up actually going through.
But this is just speculation, of course.
Complain to Funimation about the crappy 30th anniversary sets:
http://funimation.com/contact-us/
help@funimation.com
As it stands, the next time they release the show, they'll trot out the same excuses they made for why they made the 30th anniversary sets suck. Let's prevent that. Make your voice heard. It'll barely take you a minute or two to send an email, and it could make all the difference in the world. Worst case scenario, you wasted about as much time as you spent reading this message, but you spent it in an effort to improve a crappy situation.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:18 am

I'm not sure that would have worked. The quality difference between the old audio and the new would be too great (there would have to be some new recordings involved for the recaps at a bare minimum).

Didn't someone say Funi was considering reusing the Z dub audio for a brief moment until deciding to go with new recordings the whole way? (Well, almost the whole way. Cell Games Reenactment anyone?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 pm
It's possible Selecta Vision were planning on getting raw recordings of the Castillan dub and re-editing it to fit Kai, but ended up nixing the idea, and that's why rumours spread of a dub happening, but it not ending up actually going through.
But this is just speculation, of course.
I can confirm that the Castillan dub of Z was re-cut by a fan and he added the Yamamoto score to it so those who want Kai dubbed in Castillan does exist but what fans really wanted was a more accurate dub.

There was also a German fan who re-cut the German Z dub (w/ the Z score) and synced it with Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters (Japanese Edition, 61 episodes). Quite impressive he had the patience to go through all that and he wasn't even paid for that hard work. A Portuguese fan also did it but only for the first episode. So, it is possible to sync Z dubs to Kai but it takes a lot of patience, time and effort to get it right.

When anime distributors don't do their job, fans seem to take on themselves to do the job.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:18 am
Didn't someone say Funi was considering reusing the Z dub audio for a brief moment until deciding to go with new recordings the whole way? (Well, almost the whole way. Cell Games Reenactment anyone?
Justin Cook, the dub's producer, said in an interview that re-using the old dub audio was very briefly considered, but he made it sound like nobody was enthusiastic about that idea. Quite the contrary, he said he lunged at the chance to do a new dub, and pretty much everybody was onboard with that from the get-go. He also noted that, considering how many edits and snippets had been made with Kai, it might have actually been a more time-consuming process to get the old audio to sync than it would have been to just do a new one from the ground up anyway.

And as far as the Cell Games Reenactment...technically they did make a new recording. Chris Sabat brought in some members of Team Four Star from DBZ ABridged to play their corresponding characters ('cause he's a fan of DBZA) in the Cell Games Reenactment scene. Apparently there was a last-minute decision that that was too legally risky, and so they re-used the DBZ dub's audio. However, one particular broadcast accidentally received the audio mix with TFS in it, and thankfully, it lives on YouTube for everyone to see.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 am

I dont get why no one has suggested that its the same as the Ocean dub. No one wanted to air it! Only this time its different because since no one wanted to air it, nobody commisioned a dub at all. So its different in that sense. I really doubt Boing wanted to air DBZ Kai, even with the Nicktoons edits.
[spoiler]
Lord Beerus wrote:
Gog wrote:The cell saga/android saga is the worst thing Akira Toriyama ever made. And nothing has ever actually managed to come close to it, after it. Even the terrible asspulls in the FT saga, weren't as bad as that. But of course this is all my opinion. :D
You've just made a new best friend. :mrgreen:
[/spoiler]
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"

SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:27 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm
And as far as the Cell Games Reenactment...technically they did make a new recording. Chris Sabat brought in some members of Team Four Star from DBZ ABridged to play their corresponding characters ('cause he's a fan of DBZA) in the Cell Games Reenactment scene. Apparently there was a last-minute decision that that was too legally risky, and so they re-used the DBZ dub's audio. However, one particular broadcast accidentally received the audio mix with TFS in it, and thankfully, it lives on YouTube for everyone to see.
https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/ ... -see-again

According to this, Toei found out about Sabat getting TFS to do voice work on the show and forced him to remove it or risk losing the DB license. It's the one good thing I feel Toei has done (besides DBS: Broly). Funimation tries too hard to make DB funny/self-aware/like a parody of itself, and bringing in TFS was another step in that direction. I hear that TFS has been effectively "greylisted" from the industry which is too far, but at least they won't be damaging the show itself anymore. Now Toei and Funimation can do that themselves like usual.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 am
I dont get why no one has suggested that its the same as the Ocean dub. No one wanted to air it! Only this time its different because since no one wanted to air it, nobody commisioned a dub at all. So its different in that sense. I really doubt Boing wanted to air DBZ Kai, even with the Nicktoons edits.
Boing aired Dragon Ball Z uncut back then so violence wasn't a concern they had and back in the 90's hardly anyone cared either but now, Boing airs Dragon Ball Super and it has a lot of weird censorship edits that don't make any sense.

Selecta Visión could license the dub or whatever procedure required and finally release Dragon Ball Kai on Blu-ray/DVD in Spain. Galicia and Catalunya have received it but only via TV broadcasts. The Castillan part of Spain never got their own dub.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Why didn't Spain get Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:10 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 am
I dont get why no one has suggested that its the same as the Ocean dub. No one wanted to air it! Only this time its different because since no one wanted to air it, nobody commisioned a dub at all. So its different in that sense. I really doubt Boing wanted to air DBZ Kai, even with the Nicktoons edits.
Boing aired Dragon Ball Z uncut back then so violence wasn't a concern they had and back in the 90's hardly anyone cared either but now, Boing airs Dragon Ball Super and it has a lot of weird censorship edits that don't make any sense.

Selecta Visión could license the dub or whatever procedure required and finally release Dragon Ball Kai on Blu-ray/DVD in Spain. Galicia and Catalunya have received it but only via TV broadcasts. The Castillan part of Spain never got their own dub.
I know, I didnt mean they didnt want it for violence, I meant they dont want it out of sheer apathy for the franchise and or anime.
The fact that Catalunya and Galicia got it because they had a TV deal gives my theory strength.
[spoiler]
Lord Beerus wrote:
Gog wrote:The cell saga/android saga is the worst thing Akira Toriyama ever made. And nothing has ever actually managed to come close to it, after it. Even the terrible asspulls in the FT saga, weren't as bad as that. But of course this is all my opinion. :D
You've just made a new best friend. :mrgreen:
[/spoiler]
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"

Post Reply